Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Love the the idea of active frames but I'm trying to wrap my head around how these are supposed to keep running without devouring a battery.

There is always something you have to sacrifice. Not all apps need background running (ebook readers, etc.) that's why by default apps on BB10 suspended when minimized. But if developer feels his app must continue to run he just asks the OS about it :) The choice is important, so developers may create better apps

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But you are still not convinced that widgets on Symbian/Maemo (father of MeeGo)/Android are predecessors of Live Tiles? (this reminds me iPhone fans who always say that rectangular shape of iPhone 4/4S/5 was invented by Apple. They don't care that LG Prada was released few years before)

First, I am a fan of BB. I sport a 9900 & a PlayBook as my personal devices. I also sport an iPad and 4S (work). I try to keep things objective so as to not come off as a ******. For that reason, I have to disagree with you and all others who think Apple invented warm water. The first grid of icons was Palm OS (the really old Palm, not webOS). You could argue they were live tiles since they would change form if, for instance, you had new mail or SMS. A very crude system, but it was the s**t for its day. Just think what would have happened if they had followed through with the Foleo.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Just watched 3 bids on bb10 and I'm going to have to pass. If I want to swipe all day I will just play fruit ninja. So far it looks like a lot of extra steps to get something done. One of the main things I love about WP is that everything is in and out. Quick n easy.

morpho4444

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just watched 3 bids on bb10 and I'm going to have to pass. If I want to swipe all day I will just play fruit ninja. So far it looks like a lot of extra steps to get something done. One of the main things I love about WP is that everything is in and out. Quick n easy.

In and Out are steps... Blackberry there are no steps, there is flow!

Keep fooling yourself

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
And I see the whole mobile nations pass has become a troll fest for a few members to take advantage of.

Perhaps, but it also has the advantage of balancing out the rabid fanboys who foam at the mouth and hurl venom if someone even so much as whispers something they don't like. At least the trolls don't chase each other around the forums with Likes and Thanks like Chester and Spike

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But you are still not convinced that widgets on Symbian/Maemo (father of MeeGo)/Android are predecessors of Live Tiles? (this reminds me iPhone fans who always say that rectangular shape of iPhone 4/4S/5 was invented by Apple. They don't care that LG Prada was released few years before)

Nope. There can be a difference in interaction and to an extent a difference on presentation as well.

Anyways, you're missing my original point, I think. Otherwise if you got it then man, I don't know you got issues in wanting to defend any platform or prove someone "wrong". All I said was that BB10 reminded me of WP, more specifically an element of BB10 (active frames) reminded me of Live Tiles. In terms of just speaking of things on the surface, which was my intent, I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment.

windows_phone_7_live_tiles_thumb.jpg BB10-Homescreen-01-580-100.JPG

But nope, apparently a person just can't make a simple remark without needing to be corrected or speaking "blasphemy", if you will, about an implementation on a mobile OS. Instead the statement has to be nitpicked and reasoned out to show how "wrong" the speaker is because that person is allegedly ignorant about mobile OSes or the statement maligns the awesomeness of an OS. Reminds me of the stupid crap a few months back with the whole 920 8x comparison.

If you can't see the sheer simplicity of the remark, I find that kind of sad. In either case we can just agree to disagree or you can continue to try to prove me "wrong."

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope. There can be a difference in interaction and to an extent a difference on presentation as well.

Anyways, you're missing my original point, I think. Otherwise if you got it then man, I don't know you got issues in wanting to defend any platform or prove someone "wrong". All I said was that BB10 reminded me of WP, more specifically an element of BB10 (active frames) reminded me of Live Tiles. In terms of just speaking of things on the surface, which was my intent, I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment.

But nope, apparently a person just can't make a simple remark without needing to be corrected or speaking "blasphemy", if you will, about an implementation on a mobile OS. Instead the statement has to be nitpicked and reasoned out to show how "wrong" the speaker is because that person is allegedly ignorant about mobile OSes or the statement maligns the awesomeness of an OS. Reminds me of the stupid crap a few months back with the whole 920 8x comparison.

If you can't see the sheer simplicity of the remark, I find that kind of sad. In either case we can just agree to disagree or you can continue to try to prove me "wrong."

I'm sorry if you found my posts offensive, I sincerely didn't mean to offend you. For me these two screenshots look alike, but I still cannot see the similarity between Active Frames and Live Tiles (let's just stop here and forget about them)
n9-c_med.jpg BB10-Homescreen-01-580-100.JPG
cheers :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So claims the writer of the wiki article, and it's still Wiki.

Use of Active Frames. I know functionally they are different but the idea's relatively the same, and that's really all I'm getting at. If you're gonna nitpick me on how it's not exactly the same then you're missing my point.

conversations need both questions and answers. assumptions just make, well, you know.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 25760 View attachment 25761

nice examples in the pics. looks like the second one (whoever's os it is) is doing a better job of displaying information.

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.

That's not entirely correct (about more or less multitasking). I believe both systems have minimized stage for app and it was up to developer what he wants to do. I remember I was reading developers documentation (great source of information about platform) for MeeGo Harmattan and it was stated that when app is minimized it's better to stop any heavy calculations and preferably pause the app. On BB10 (second screenshot) they have this behavior by default, so even if developer was lazy enough to read documentation or coming from desktop (there they have all power they need and no worries about suspending apps which are on background) he still won't kill the battery on your smartphone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
BB10 looks pretty impressive in the video. Very responsive and the features make it look more capable than Windows Phone in several ways. The email client certainly looks more robust than ours.

I don't know if RIM can pull off a miracle this late in the game, but I'll be watching them closely.

If nothing else, I welcome the competition. I think another OS that is that responsive and feature filled will help light a fire under Microsoft's ass to give Windows Phone more robust multitasking, email and features that appeal to enterprise customers.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry is probably the best OS for email.

But lets talk Peek.

On BB10 you swipe to the right from anywhere and get your unified inbox. Emails, tweets, Facebook etc. But, if like me you like only emails in a unified inbox and your tweets, SMS etc in their own little inbox then a further swipe to the right will show these.

On android the notification bar can be pulled down from anywhere also and all your notifications will be shown in only one swipe.

The android notification bar could be considered a form of peek also?

Both my android phone and BB have a notification LED so you tend to know whether you have an email or whatever before you peek. On my BB with the BeBuzz led application I would often know who the message is from if I have set colours for contacts.

Based on my use Android will seemingly get me to my notifications quicker. One swipe down as opposed to two swipes across.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
nice examples in the pics. looks like the second one (whoever's os it is) is doing a better job of displaying information.

I think you mean BB10, and yes, it does display info a lot better then live tiles, they can also be removed, unlike in WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to closes it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb