Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention if blackberry is anything like they have historically been, their hardware, although solid, will under perform and be a year behind tech wise....blackberry made the battery pull famous ;) and the 5 minute boot time

Blackberry just released a new phone on T-Mobile.......3.2 megapixel camera WOW

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention if blackberry is anything like they have historically been, their hardware, although solid, will under perform and be a year behind tech wise....blackberry made the battery pull famous ;) and the 5 minute boot time

Blackberry just released a new phone on T-Mobile.......3.2 megapixel camera WOW

They made the 5 minute boot so good that webOS had to make a 10 minute boot just to one-up them.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
i beleive the music player part. wp8 music player is shiny slick and has tons of extras but lacks MOST of the basics. Personaly I prefer the music player from ANY other nokia device than this one even the n900 which had a half baked music player as well. They crapped functionality and practicality for asthetics and bells and whistles. Sounds like a page out of ios.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It will not kill WP but it's will help is hurting WP growth. There are a LOT of loyal BB users that will jump on board. Let's face it, mobile phone ownership is a lot like politics and religion. There's a lot of people who blindly follow in the name of loyalty without seeking alternatives/truth/options. I believe that's the ONLY reason iPhone continues to be so big. That phone has had the same boring static interface for FIVE years and many, especially the review sites (CNET, phonedog, Phonearena, theVerge), think every new iPhone is the most innovative thing ever. My group at work helps people configure enterprise accounts for iphones and BB's and I can't stand the boring iphone UI. It's just ignorant loyalty. Period.

Saying that RIM is going to fall on its face is premature. Never underestimate a competitor, especially one who has much deeper roots than WP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It will not kill WP but it's will help is hurting WP growth. There are a LOT of loyal BB users that will jump on board. Let's face it, mobile phone ownership is a lot like politics and religion. There's a lot of people who blindly follow in the name of loyalty without seeking alternatives/truth/options. I believe that's the ONLY reason iPhone continues to be so big. That phone has had the same boring static interface for FIVE years and many, especially the review sites (CNET, phonedog, Phonearena, theVerge), think every new iPhone is the most innovative thing ever. My group at work helps people configure enterprise accounts for iphones and BB's and I can't stand the boring iphone UI. It's just ignorant loyalty. Period.

Saying that RIM is going to fall on its face is premature. Never underestimate a competitor, especially one who has much deeper roots than WP.

I agree with the majority of your points, especially regarding the sheep/shepherd relationship of iPhone fans. I read an article yesterday, can't remember which publication, praising the slide-out sim card tray and how nobody thinks to use such a clever feature. My Treo 650 had a sim tray long before there was ever an iPhone. As for BB users, I agree there will be many who jump back in if the device delivers. The only problem I foresee is that many who have left BB have gone to a large screen touch device with a working app store and may not be so quick to give that up. A 2-1/2" screen just doesn't cut it anymore no matter how good the keyboard is. I just got rid of my touchscreen Bold 9900 a few weeks ago for that very reason. I hope BB does well with OS10, it'll serve notice to the other players that they can't rest on their laurels any longer.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

ignorant loyalty... will you apply that same classification to people that might buy the same flip phone year after year ? The same walkie talkie ? The same...ohhh windows phone ?

I'm picking at you, but hoping to make a point that people like to keep things they are familiar with and recognize positively.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The difference I see between BB and WP is that to many people WP is still an unknown that they have yet to try. On the other hand, RIM had a very large user base that went on a big decline because of RIM's inability to adapt and innovate. From my personal experience a lot of people who once loved their BB devices aren't really going to go back to that ship after trying other mobile devices. I know there are a lot of BB fans that are loyal to RIM, but at the same time there are a lot that left the platform disgruntled.

One of the main selling points of the old Blackberry devices was BBM but now most people have data plans, or have other means of exchanging free messages so BBM isn't much of a selling point anymore.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
ignorant loyalty... will you apply that same classification to people that might buy the same flip phone year after year ? The same walkie talkie ? The same...ohhh windows phone ?

I'm picking at you, but hoping to make a point that people like to keep things they are familiar with and recognize positively.
There are some folks who stay because of familiarity, who try other things, but stick to what they know. But that's few and far between with smartphone users. My previous post was pointed at the status-quo/peer pressure sheep. I know folks who roll their eyes at WP yet admit to never trying out the UI. Not once. Makes me facepalm.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It is beginning like BB10 will take 3rd place actually.

The good thing is that there are two glaring problems with BB10 that Windows Phone could exploit that gives Microsoft a chance. One, the bezel swiping gestures lead to BB10 phones with relatively large bezels and consumers like bezel-less phones. Or at least anything 4.7 inches or above need to be bezel-less and the Nokia Lumia 920 really, REALLY could have used this. Two, BB10 doesn't exactly promote a healthy software update cycle. It is way WAY more complex than IOS and RIM took FOREVER to fine tune it's first iteration of BB10. So considering Apple has way more staff that concentrates strictly on software and they still take a whole year to tune up such a simple OS, just imagine how long it would take RIM to tune up BB11. Unless RIM makes enough money off BB10 to triple their staff, Microsoft might be able to release WP10 before BB11 comes out.

morpho4444

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It is beginning like BB10 will take 3rd place actually.

The good thing is that there are two glaring problems with BB10 that Windows Phone could exploit that gives Microsoft a chance. One, the bezel swiping gestures lead to BB10 phones with relatively large bezels and consumers like bezel-less phones. Or at least anything 4.7 inches or above need to be bezel-less and the Nokia Lumia 920 really, REALLY could have used this. Two, BB10 doesn't exactly promote a healthy software update cycle. It is way WAY more complex than IOS and RIM took FOREVER to fine tune it's first iteration of BB10. So considering Apple has way more staff that concentrates strictly on software and they still take a whole year to tune up such a simple OS, just imagine how long it would take RIM to tune up BB11. Unless RIM makes enough money off BB10 to triple their staff, Microsoft might be able to release WP10 before BB11 comes out.

BlackBerry has not only staff dedicated to tune up for BB11.. they have their own subsidiary, QNX dedicated only to tune up the OS.... and.. is BIG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster