Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Remember how the Storm looked great before launch and BB fans thought it would be a worthy competitor to the iPhone?

I think people need to wait til results before crowning BB10. I don't doubt that it will take #3 spot in North America but I'm not convinced for the rest of the world.

I think Canada but in a year if WP8 is not number 3 MS have are failing badly.
I don't believe the US carriers are going to push BB10 like they have pushed BB in the past. There was an interview with a Verizon bigwig where he stated they will make WP8 big like they made Android big with the Droid commercials...it's very early for Verizon and they don't have a WP8 superphone (coming in a couple of months)...
ATT has never been a friend of BB.

In Canada, I think BB10 will do very well but probably not enough to catch up to iOS or Android...they will at least get their footing back.

It's the rest of the world that is more concerning to me for RIM...they need to have a product for the low cost markets of Africa, Brazil and Indonesia...BB10 initial release devices are not low cost by any stretch...

Being Canadian I wish RIM all the best

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Really.. Pretty weak argument.. Grided applications, square icons.. doesn't seem too different.. I guess beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.. But if you're into fluorescent multicolors that wake you up better than coffee... then..

There is not much different for the average consumer...remember that we are not the average consumer...they will look more at the hardware and what their friends have...
I do like the white BB10 very much though but I see very little of interest in the OS but that's just from what I've seen on video...who knows what it's like to use everyday

unkleknuklefunk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, you guys can keep trying to compare BB10 to the Storm, but all the Storm was was just BBOS with full touch. BB10 is a completely new platform and if you have seen the many leaks and videos of the high performance, efficient UI of BB10 and developer support.. you really should instead of making lame comparisons to old operating systems and phones that RIM has already recognized require a major update.

In 3 days we'll all see the release of this most impressive mobile experience in quite sometime.

Oh no someone poked the fan boy . 🐑

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Canada but in a year if WP8 is not number 3 MS have are failing badly.
I don't believe the US carriers are going to push BB10 like they have pushed BB in the past. There was an interview with a Verizon bigwig where he stated they will make WP8 big like they made Android big with the Droid commercials...it's very early for Verizon and they don't have a WP8 superphone (coming in a couple of months)...
ATT has never been a friend of BB.

In Canada, I think BB10 will do very well but probably not enough to catch up to iOS or Android...they will at least get their footing back.

It's the rest of the world that is more concerning to me for RIM...they need to have a product for the low cost markets of Africa, Brazil and Indonesia...BB10 initial release devices are not low cost by any stretch...

Being Canadian I wish RIM all the best

Don't know about Canada, but the Bold 9000 was an AT&T exclusive as was the 9800 Torch at its release here in the States.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
If you wanna get beat that badly then by all means bring it on!

BB4LIFE!

Raekwon: "Soldiers in the front let the heat pump. Troops on the left fight to the death. My fam on the right infrared lights. Wolves in the back get ready to attack." :)

I'm honestly just kidding though. 2013 is gonna a great year. With Ubuntu and Firefox jumping in the the game next year, yea its gonna get crazy.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Raekwon: "Soldiers in the front let the heat pump. Troops on the left fight to the death. My fam on the right infrared lights. Wolves in the back get ready to attack." :)

I'm honestly just kidding though. 2013 is gonna a great year. With Ubuntu and Firefox jumping in the the game next year, yea its gonna get crazy.

Definitely, I cant wait to see what everyone will be bringing to the table this year. With two new OS's (WP8 and BB10) coming to market Apple and Google should really start to innovate again if they want to remain at the top.

infenit101

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time fan of Windows and love what they are doing with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. However, I think it is possible that BB10 could push WP8 into 4th place which could effectively kill the platform. Not that I think it will happen. MS has deep pockets and aren't going anywhere but it is clear MS is slow to "get it" sometimes.

Top 10 reason BB10 could be a major threat to WP8

1) Multitasking, finally done right. WP8 tries but the solution is half baked.

2) Notifications are best in class. I haven't seen a UI yet that is better than blackberry in this department. If you don't believe me check out the leaked concepts on french toast and cinnamon toast. Blackberry 10 Cinnamon Toast and French Toast UI slides leaked | Ubergizmo

3) Windows has an integration problem. Everything has the Metro coat of paint, but that doesn't mean everything plays nice together. Wouldn't it be nice to start videos on an Xbox, pickup on a laptop/tablet, and finish on your phone? What about pickup a game a continue playing? Why do all the windows devices seem to have problems with each other?

4) Microsoft refuses to let go of IE even though it is generally slower than webkit based browsers.

5) Microsoft refuses to leverage its strongest brand, Xbox. WP8 should have the best mobile gaming platform period. Why hasn't it happened?

6) Microsoft wants to be too much like Apple in the mobile arena. Open the wall garden up.

7) UI elements are often too dumb downed. Simple is good, but often times being to minimalistic removes options that should be readily available and in plain sight.

8) Multimedia syncing isn't that great without the Zune App.

9) Where are the apps? Microsoft has promised a ton of top apps from other platforms but where are they and what are they doing to get more?

10) Microsoft and Google aren't friends = no good native google apps

11) RIM still has a huge following.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't think BB10 will push BB clear into 3rd. After today's launch it looks like they will be on par with WP8 in the North American and UK market. I really don't see much buzz for BB10 in the rest of the world.

The ball is in MS/Nokia's court now. If Nokia can launch some killer devices at MWC on multiple carriers then surely they can vault ahead.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't think BB10 will push BB clear into 3rd. After today's launch it looks like they will be on par with WP8 in the North American and UK market. I really don't see much buzz for BB10 in the rest of the world.

The ball is in MS/Nokia's court now. If Nokia can launch some killer devices at MWC on multiple carriers then surely they can vault ahead.

Although I agree todays BB10 launch was kind sucky, BB is still in third place. Hardware wise they are mostly on par, BB10 does have 2 gigs of ram... BB10 is more about the experience though, not the hardware (at least for right now), and imo bb10 is a more work efficient OS than WP8.

Don't get me wrong though, If BB wasn't an option I'd definitely get a yellow 920 because that phone is so cool looking!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
With an expected US release of March, not good. Considering RIMBerry's current position, they should have their phones ready to hit the US now. The time frame, while better than the WP8 announcement-release, is still worse because WP8 is already on the market. Microsoft will be announcing even newer devices come MWC with specs that will make the Z10 look archaic. And of course Android/iOS will gobble up their share of the market.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Love the Raekwon quote! LOL...a lot of ppl view the different OS's available as a sort of turf war...(my side is better (tougher) than your side...I view it a little differently. I love to see and explore creativity. I've never really been a fan of Android or IOS, so anything else that's innovative, sleek, classy, etc. I love to experience it! I am a BB fan and have also looked into Windows 8 phones. In other words, the more creativity, the more competition...and in the end, phones get better, and I get happier! :smile:

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Didn't read all the pages, I just wanna b*tch a little, why is the camera ability to change faces in the blackberry 10 getting so much positive coverage? In what way is it different from the smart group shot from Nokia, and the smart shoot for WP 8 should be even better. But yet this thing from blackberry is on tv and impressing reviewers ect. Why?
Thoughts?
PS: don't know if you've discussed this, don't kill me if people have.

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Didn't read all the pages, I just wanna b*tch a little, why is the camera ability to change faces in the blackberry 10 getting so much positive coverage? In what way is it different from the smart group shot from Nokia, and the smart shoot for WP 8 should be even better. But yet this thing from blackberry is on tv and impressing reviewers ect. Why?
Though?
PS: don't know if you've discussed this, don't kill me if people have.

qfe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99