Tips for switching to WP7.5 from Android?

rexar5

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey wpcentral! I have been an avid Android enthusiast since my first smartphone. I currently use a galaxy nexus running 4.2 on Verizon. But I am spending the semester abroad in the UK and won an unlocked focus S (running 7.5) from an app competition last year. I thought it might be a good opportunity for me to test the WP platform since the Focus S will work over here and the G-Nex will not. So far I am having fun exploring the device and really like the design of windows phone but am having trouble adjusting to it. I was hoping to get some advice from other Android defectors and WP fans.

Thanks!

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Glad you asked. There are quite a few adjustments to make depending on how dependent you are on Google services. They're not integrated like they are with Android. Depending on the service, there may or may not be an app available. Your success will depend on how willing your able to accept third party and microsoft solutions. For example, YouTube is a good example of an app of which is decidingly inferior- functionality is crippled. On windows phone, metrotube will provide a better youtube experience. Google docs can be replaced with Office. If you sync your Gmail to your windows phone you shouldn't have a problem with that either. The app selection is lacking in comparison to android however there are plenty of solutions.

solveig17

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I would say don't. I went from an E72 and a cheap Galaxy mini to Lumia 800 and spent 6 months finding the Lumia couldn't do many basics even those phones could, let alone what a top of the range Android could.
1. No personal text tones
2.No profiles
3. No call blocking function
4. Many sites won't load which work fine on Android.
5. No BBC iplayer or any other U.K television.
6.Cannot edit emails before forwarding
7. Can only use one volume level for all the phones' functions.
8.No blue tooth transfer of files (although that might be coming)
9.Truly awful calendar (month view is unreadable)

rexar5

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. It turns out my pandora trouble is due to not being in the US. But it feels really limited. I'm trying to like it, I really am, but the lack of reliability on messenger and the way notifications (don't) work is killing it for me. I don't even mind the lack of apps all that much. But I can't stand the notifications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos