Anyone else worried about BB10?

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else worried about BB10 killing the little momentum WP8 had got over the last part of the year. They are going in way more aggressive than Microsoft on the apps front as well as getting the flagship on every single carrier. (Something the 8X and 920 both should have had) '

Rim also appears to be taking mobile way more serious than Microsoft as they are literally betting all they have on this while Microsoft could shutter windows phone and keep it going,

Even the rumors of new windows phone devices aren't that inspiring, version will be getting a lumia 920 variant while att will be getting its successor, and no word on T-Mobile at all. While rim is attacking every carrier with the same phone , colors, and features.

As someone who really likes windows phone Rim is the wild card that makes me nervous about getting the operating system,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm worried as someone who doesn't like to see good OSes dropped. That and it would suck for those who already have phones lose support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I played with the Z10 today and it was awesome. Some of the apps aren't quite there but come July when I can upgrade it'll be the app market that sways me either way because I love my 8X but that Z10 was sexy

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
RIM is focused on BB10 because its their core business. Microsoft on the other hand is focused on Windows and Office and WP is further down in priority so while RIM has been pushing hard MS has been content to release a half finished product. I'm not sure how you are supposed to use WP in the enterprise when it can't do simple things like manage PDF's reliably, which is a big part of business communications. I think Microsoft is in for a big surprise with BB10.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Of the current 79 million BB users, many own BB devices primarily because they were dirt cheap. None of them will be purchasing a BB10 device anytime soon. The remaining segment of BB users are largely corporate customers. What some may not know, is that corporations and consumers use entirely different criteria when evaluating smartphones. One almost universal requirement is that corporate suppliers must stand on absolutely sound financial footing. Failing that simple test, most corporations wont even let you through the front door. All the things consumers typically obsess over are meaningless compared to such requirements. Unless BB10 is a huge hit that instantly abolishes all doubt over RIM's future, RIM will have difficulties convincing CIO's that they are a safe investment and worthy of trust (BTW: Nokia has the same problem). All the while, more and more companies will adopt BYOD policies that will further erode BB market share. Another big problem RIM faces is that they simply lack the finances to launch an effective marketing campaign. RIM has no choice but to rely on marketing support from carriers, but as of now I have not heard of any carriers stepping up to the plate. Note that how good BB10 is doesn't factor into any of this.

If BB10 isn't a breakout success, and RIM's stock price deteriorates in the months following the announcement, RIM will be looking to salvage whatever they can before stock prices fall too low, meaning a sell off is imminent. Speed is of the essence.

As far as I can tell, the only quick support RIM will get are from enthusiasts like the people on this forum. Corporations are likely to adopt a "wait and see" approach. Sadly, I'm sceptical we enthusiasts have the numbers to turn RIM around fast enough. I do wish them well.

I do not see BB10 endangering WP at this time or anytime soon, although that certainly wouldn't hurt, as Microsoft needs a kick in the rear end... apparently Android and iOS are too far ahead to do that for us.

Last edited:

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
As a consumer and someone who doesn't work for either Microsoft or Nokia, no I'm not "worried" about it.
Do I think it is a significant OS? Yes.

In fact I'm looking forward to it because hopefully the pressure will push MS into putting more effort into WP8 instead of goofing around happily content in third place (in terms of popularity and public awareness, not sales figures).

The competition is a significant factor in the rapid growth of iOS and Android, and a worthy rival in BB10 might just be what MS needs to get going.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
In fact I'm looking forward to it because hopefully the pressure will push MS into putting more effort into WP8 instead of goofing around happily content in third place (in terms of popularity and public awareness, not sales figures)..

Goofing around?

I really don't get this.

Microsoft completely rewrote WP7, to make it easier to port iOS/Android apps to WP8. Microsoft made sure WP8 was extremely similar to Windows 8, so it was easy to port apps between W8 & WP8.

What more can Microsoft do? Microsoft throw money at companies like Rovio, yet Angry Birds is still a poor cousin of the iOS/Android versions, and updated really slowly.

Microsoft threw > $1billion at Nokia, to make some brilliant handsets. Even HTC are making sexy WP8 devices. Still not really helping.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
While rim is attacking every carrier with the same phone , colors, and features.

Maybe i'm seeing something different, but theres nothing particuarly interesting about any of the RIM phones i've seen so far.

Only interesting feature is the phone(s) with hardware keyboards. That is something not supported by iOS/WP, and lacking on 95% of Android devices. That said, putting a touchscreen OS on a device with a keyboard is always going to be a compromise. Great for emails, but the size and aspect of the screen is going to severly hamper its usefulness, especially on all the apps ported from Android (which is where almost all of them will come from).

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If you asked me one week ago I would have said yes. Based on the reviews I've seen today I would say that Blackberry is pretty much dead.

Most of the apps are bad ports from the Playbook, they used the VZNav team to do their maps, and they didn't go with gorilla glass for the display.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It has an official Facebook app that is coded natively, and has the exact same feature set as its iOS and Android counterpart. BB actually managed to convince Facebook to develop (it was a collaboration between RIM and FB developers) an app and Microsoft couldn't. Tell me how the **** did that happen?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Goofing around?

I really don't get this.

Microsoft completely rewrote WP7, to make it easier to port iOS/Android apps to WP8. Microsoft made sure WP8 was extremely similar to Windows 8, so it was easy to port apps between W8 & WP8.

What more can Microsoft do? Microsoft throw money at companies like Rovio, yet Angry Birds is still a poor cousin of the iOS/Android versions, and updated really slowly.

Microsoft threw > $1billion at Nokia, to make some brilliant handsets. Even HTC are making sexy WP8 devices. Still not really helping.

They did a lot more for the Xbox.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It has an official Facebook app that is coded natively, and has the exact same feature set as its iOS and Android counterpart. BB actually managed to convince Facebook to develop (it was a collaboration between RIM and FB developers) an app and Microsoft couldn't. Tell me how the **** did that happen?

Facebook sucks peepee anyways

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not that worried about BB itself, but I am worried about the media/analysts. Check out these quotes from an article on MSN:

"'I have to believe that there is some level of user fatigue that plays into the longevity of some of these platforms,' Kevin Burden, head of mobility at industry consulting firm Strategy Analytics, told Reuters. 'RIM is probably timing it right.'
Wireless industry analyst Jeff Kagan agrees. 'Blackberry is not too late. True, 92 percent of the smartphone market may have already chosen either an Apple iPhone or Google Android, but that's really because there were no really good competitors,' he wrote in a note.

'This new Blackberry will be a strong competitor for the number three position. They won't come close to number one or two where Google and Apple are, but the market does want more choices.'"

So Microsoft was too late to the game with Windows Phone in 2010, but the timing is good for BlackBerry in 2013? How are they not too late?

That, and the comment about there being no good competitors just blows my mind. If he feels that there were no other good competitors on the market before, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it, but I thought these "market anaylsts" were supposed to be unbiased. That comment seems a bit irresponsible, and the whole thing stinks of an Anti-MS bias.

I hate the amount of control that the media has over the public today...

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Goofing around?

I really don't get this.

That's the problem. MS think that everyone must conform to their own way of doing things, that they are right and everybody else is wrong. This has been so since the first days of Windows enterprise licensing. They throw money at people and expect them to fall in line. Best example: every other mobile OS uses OpenGL ES for gaming graphics. MS? They want people to write games in a mutated version of DX11 which nobody knows nor is going to bother learning (and anyone who knows DX11 is working at a proper gaming studio anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte