Anyone Else Just Completely Disappointed by BB10?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No, I would choose WP by going on looks, hands down. If they battery can't do more than that. Then it's DOA.
Alas, I don't have the link handy. A guy on some phone site, maybe it was phonedog, said he ran the battery down in 1 hour and 16 minutes of browsing. Sure, looks are relative, but if your choices are an android look-alike or the real deal with a much bigger ecosystem and generally more to offer, why would you pick BBOS?

ealvnv

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Alas, I don't have the link handy. A guy on some phone site, maybe it was phonedog, said he ran the battery down in 1 hour and 16 minutes of browsing. Sure, looks are relative, but if your choices are an android look-alike or the real deal with a much bigger ecosystem and generally more to offer, why would you pick BBOS?

Completely false, battery is on par with current devices on other platforms, i can tell you because i been using a Z10 for more the a month now

web99

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I had a chance to try out the Z10 in future shop and it is a good phone. The browser is fast, multitasking is easy, the virtual keyboard is in a class by itself. As one who have used the iPhone, the Samsung Galaxy 3, Nokia 820 and various blackberries, the newest BB is a great product. For those of you that are dismissing it, look at the UK where it was launched 3 days ago. It is completely sold out in many stores and there are lineups to get it in the stores that still have them.

For those of you that are bashing RIM and other companies, I think the smartphone market is big enough to share 4 major platforms instead of a ios/Android manopoly and I am also rooting for Windows 8 to succeed. The Nokia 920 is a great product also as I have had the opportunity to use one for a week.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

That's like too hard to believe.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually got to try a BB10 device yesterday. And jeez, I am highly impressed by it. When does 7.8 support end so I can trash my HTC TITAN and have a BlackBerry device as a secondary? Naturally, I'm keeping my Nokia. I'm gonna have a Professional BlackBerry and a Personal Nokia approach. So for work, I use BB10 (with BlackBerry Balance to go between work and play. For example play on my lunch break, work when preparing for a meeting.). When I'm out with friends etc, I use my Nokia, because damn that camera has impressed me bigtime.

Last edited:

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'll give it a second look when they put it on usable hardware and make the UI a bit more aesthetically pleasing but as it stands, it's just ugly and while it offers some functionality, that's part of the reason people are saying they barely clear an hour with heavy use.

It practically has the same hardware as your 920 + an extra gig or RAM so not sure what your talking about...

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The Z10 looks alright to me. There is nothing spectacular about it. However, the OS seems confusing. It's like they try to take best pieces from other OS: WP8, Android, and iOS and put it in their new OS.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
"Awful camera" debatable
"terrible materials" No
"no wireless charging" so what?
"awful build quality" again no

The camera is far from debatable, my 07 blackjack was better, the materials feel cheap like a Samsung phone, the phone audibly creaks which is weird and wireless charging is growing more and more imperative. This phone has nothing revolutionary.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Your 07 blackjack was not better. And that's a fact. When you make statements like that, any argument you have is looked at as being silly, maybe even fanboyish
The camera is far from debatable, my 07 blackjack was better, the materials feel cheap like a Samsung phone, the phone audibly creaks which is weird and wireless charging is growing more and more imperative. This phone has nothing revolutionary.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
It certainly takes much clearer pictures in all but low light settings which is fair as it doesn't have flash, not like the blackberry's flash is much better than no flash.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen the shots? Anyway, just got my dev unit in so I'll do a full comparison once I get the hang of bb10 for a fair comparison.

diegonei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Kinda segwaying off the camera topic, but I don't see why business people love BB so much. Personally I have never owned one so maybe I just don't get it, it what makes it more business-centric than other OSes. Yes I know that you can lock down the OS and let businesses disable features like the app store. My mom has an older BB for work and can't access BB world or BBM. Other than that, wouldn't Windows phone be a better alternative since most businesses use outlook, office, sharepoint,etc... These integrate better on windows phone IMHO than any of the other major OSes like iOS and Android. Also, why wouldn't Android or iOS work either? They still have most of the major business-like functionality except native MICROSOFT OFFICE (which I still find almost useless on a phone period because I don't want to use excel on a 4" screen).

My gripe from what I've seen on BBOS10 is that its different to be different but not different to be better. Take Windows Phone: The live tile paradigm and the app suspension give you a very fast and fluid OS that is laid out incredibly well. The live tiles are nice because they perform the same goal as a widget on Android without breaking the UI design like android widgets do (I mean it in the aspect that you have a boxy square widget for your calendar and then a circular widget for you weather etc...they look mashed up together and don't match or flow together design wise is what I'm getting at).

Also from what Ashykat was saying, some of the things I don't understand like app-suspension. Why would you not want it? I use my email app which still updates in real time, then suspends when I'm not using it and then quickly resumes when I touch the icon. It loads up where I had left it, so from a user standpoint, how is it different other than when you don't suspend apps, it turns into a clunky mess, Android being the best case in point followed by webOS. WebOS was great with multitasking but too many tasks would slow it down.

Also my major gripe I've always had with BB is that the UIs are overly complicated. BBS looks way more complicated than WP or even android. I'm not saying that I would have an issue figuring it out cause I would get it in no time, but it seems laid out in a more complicated fashion than all of the other major OSes and people think its a good thing??? Maybe its not more complex but that's how it appears to me on the surface. These are my thoughts though...please feel free to contribute.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
And if you all ask why they didn't add a 920 to the bout... You all know why.

I don't know why. If I were to compare phone cameras, I would definitely include the 920. I'm not discounting the Z10 took these pictures just fine, just this comment about why the 920 wasn't included.

web99

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Also my major gripe I've always had with BB is that the UIs are overly complicated. BBS looks way more complicated than WP or even android. I'm not saying that I would have an issue figuring it out cause I would get it in no time, but it seems laid out in a more complicated fashion than all of the other major OSes and people think its a good thing??? Maybe its not more complex but that's how it appears to me on the surface. These are my thoughts though...please feel free to contribute.

For many, including myself, there is a learning curve as with any new O/S and UI, but I got the hang of it very quickly. My 77 year old father also was very comfortable with his Z10 within a day of getting his.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, after spending a couple of hours on Crackberry I found that the consensus is pretty evenly split. The same complaints in regards to apps that plague this site are common there as well, but what I found most interesting (and kind of sad) was how they were really eating their own. Those that hated it, railed on it not only for the lack of apps, but because of some features are missing off 10 that are present on 7 and below. And those that defended it, did so on a hope for a brighter future. Kind of like here in a way.

Huge mistake for BlackBerry to leave those off a new o/s - the very things that had the faithful holding on. Lots of email delivery complaints, lack of notification customization - all the BlackBerry hallmarks...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)