Blackberry now has Nova 3

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Much better if we don't take things like this too seriously, all these games and apps are going to come to the relevant platforms eventually, so enjoy it when it gets here.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
most likely and definitely the latter since somehow they have now "100k" apps since launch

I can tell you that it is DEFINITELY a native BB10 game.

BB10's android runtime can ONLY do 100% Dalvik apps. If you have even a single line of c/c++ codes in your Android app, your Android app will NOT function on BB10.

It is technically IMPOSSIBLE to make any decent massive 3D game such as Nova 3 without c/c++ codes. And it is technically IMPOSSIBLE for BB10 to run Android apps with even a single line of c/c++ codes. Therefore Nava 3 is a native BB10 game.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Lumiaddict

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It has more to do with money than you're believing. Why would ATT be the only company to have the iPhone at launch if wheeling and dealing weren't a factor in todays game?

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
It has more to do with money than you're believing.

Sure, for the first game --- i.e. the original Angry Birds --- I am pretty sure both RIM and Nokia paid money to the developer for the port. But the rest of the franchise, that will be determined by how many RIM and Nokia users purchased the first game and how many man-hours they have to spend to port over the rest of the franchise. Also Gameloft already ported over NOVA 2 to the Playbook in January 2012. There is no conspiracy here --- Gameloft already had the experience in porting over to QNX and it is simply easier to port from iOS to QNX when both are unix-esque and both use OpenGL and OpenAL. If there was ever money changing hands --- it would have been NOVA 2 for the Playbook last year, not NOVA 3 this year.

Less than 20% of the 100,000 BB10 apps are repackaged Android apps. Numerically it makes sense because the majority of mobile apps for all platforms are games and games are coded in native c/c++ codes --- which BB10's android runtime cannot run.

BlackBerry Z10: My First Week - Mobility - Smartphones -

Lumiaddict

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not perceiving it as a conspiracy. My opinion is that release dates on diff platforms are contractually devised by agreements influenced by money. "we give you more than Apple if our release date is 3 months prior"

Lumiaddict

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Less than 20% of the 100,000 BB10 apps are repackaged Android apps. Numerically it makes sense because the majority of mobile apps for all platforms are games and games are coded in native c/c++ codes --- which BB10's android runtime cannot run.

BlackBerry Z10: My First Week - Mobility - Smartphones -
I bought a playbook when they came out. Big mistake. They were lucky porting from android was possible or every single playbook would've been returned lol. Solid device though!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't played it but I'm seeing big apps coming to my Z10 all the time. We're supposedly in for some major updates by the end of the week(most likely tomorrow) which probably includes facebook. We got WhatsApp and it is much nicer than the WP8 version. BlackBerry is like Nokia but in charge of the OS. It's nice.

We also have jetpack joyride, airline apps, and Asphalt. It's growing and BlackBerry isn't sitting on their hands either.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not perceiving it as a conspiracy. My opinion is that release dates on diff platforms are contractually devised by agreements influenced by money. "we give you more than Apple if our release date is 3 months prior"

It's always influenced by money --- it's influenced by how much revenue NOVA 2 brought in from the Playbook, it's influenced by how much employee expenses you have to spend to port the game over. That's money as well.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't even play nova on my android tablet. Controls made it virtually unplayable, absolutely horrible. If BB version is anything like Androids version they can have it, and good riddance.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't even play nova on my android tablet. Controls made it virtually unplayable, absolutely horrible. If BB version is anything like Androids version they can have it, and good riddance.

All these massive 3D games are direct iOS ports to QNX. It is simply easier to port from iOS to QNX than Android/NDK to QNX.

For example, Galaxy on Fire 2 is available on iOS and on Android --- Fishlabs didn't even bother to touch the Android source code, they ported GoF2 directly from the iOS source code to Playbook/BB10.

http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/entering-premium-space-galaxy-on-fire-2-hd-blazes-onto-the-playbook/

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How do you like the Z10? What apps are missing from the BB store?

I love the camera. I can't believe how sharp of a photo I can get. You can see some in the other thread in this sub-forum. While does have rows of icons, the OS isn't fixed on that. It is fixed on the active frames and the hub. I can't begin to tell you how useful the hub is. I also get notifications instantly whether it be facebook or app updates. The active frames allow you to do something similar to live tiles. You can choose how long it refreshes and it actually does! I do love the live tiles but I wish the things would update correctly. I have notifications options up the wazoo and the LED is amazing.

The apps are dependent on the person. Right now, I have Instagram, Pinterest, SkyDrive, Flipboard side loaded. There are native apps for jetpack joyride, beach buggy blitz, angry birds but to be honest, I don't play much games on it. I have Google Talk, Waze, Wallstreet Journal, NYTimes, kindle, Box and Dropbox support from within the OS, Pageonce, OpenTable, GasBuddy, Flixster, and of course facebook(which kind of sucks at the moment) and twitter. I also have Apollo, a Pandora client, Slacker, 8tracks, Evernote. My N64 emulator so I can play Ocarina of Time, United Airlines and Delta Airlines, TuneIn, Amazing Breaker, The Economist.

My battery lasts 12 hours and it is getting better day by day and I can swap out batteries whenever I want for more juice. I have a 32GB SDCard in there with the additional 16GB internal. I love it. The audio is on par with the iPhone but I wish it was on par with the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss