Played with the Z10 today

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting is the word I will use. It was weird, like it was trying to be the new cool way to navigate a phone.

Didn't seem very intuitive and getting around the phone didn't make sense. The lack of a dedicated home button didn't add to any kind of flow.

On the upside the hardware itself was pretty nice and the screen was great. The media player I liked and the notification center looks like it will give the user a ton of pretty useful info.

The best thing about it was the fully functional MLB AtBat 13 app! Actually, the App Store was pretty easy to get around and I liked the way it was laid out.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a chance to handle one too, personally didn't impress me. But can make a businessman's life easier I believe. Looked nice though, finally a good looking BB ;)

dkflipse

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been using one for 2 weeks, and still on the fence. The web experience is a lot better than my Bold. But everything else is so-so.
  • My contacts are all screwed up.
  • The pc synchronization is a mess. Actually BB is not supporting two way synch at the moment.
  • I find the Hub to be chaotic. BB allows you to "link" duplicate contacts - but some don't stay linked. And if you do another synch from pc you lose the links.
  • recently found you cannot forward a text message.
  • Cannot copy and paste

All I want is a phone that synchs with Outlook seamlessly (we don't use an Exchange server at work BTW).

helis4life

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using one for 2 weeks, and still on the fence. The web experience is a lot better than my Bold. But everything else is so-so.
  • The pc synchronization is a mess. Actually BB is not supporting two way synch at the moment.
  • I find the Hub to be chaotic. BB allows you to "link" duplicate contacts - but some don't stay linked. And if you do another synch from pc you lose the links.
  • Cannot copy and paste

All I want is a phone that synchs with Outlook seamlessly (we don't use an Exchange server at work BTW).

You can forward text messages

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I spent a decent amount of time with a demo unit at Best Buy while I waited for my friend to get a phone (they went Galaxy S4). I've got a soft spot for Blackberry, having loved the hell out of my old Curve and Pearl, but haven't touched one since dealing with the awful Storm and Tour. I figured I'd give the Z10 a look and see if there was any old magic to be found.

From a design standpoint, it seemed to look similar to my old Droid X. Not a bad thing, mind you, as I liked that phone quite a bit, but nothing exciting. It's a touch bland, and looks like would be more appropriate in last year's Android lineup. The screen is nice, though a touch small for my preferences. I like more real estate, personally. The camera is a dud, but some of that is from being used to the really nice shots I get out of my 920.

I wasn't all that impressed with the OS. Visually, it looks like a bad mix between the older UI and a low budget ripoff android/iphone hybrid that you might find on a $99 Chinese ultra generic Android tablet that would break within a week. It's a dull environment to be trapped in. I don't know if they still allow themes, but I would definitely hope so. If the community is what it was a few years ago, there are some incredibly talented individuals making beautiful themes that would fix that problem pretty quickly and easily. The keyboard stinks. I tried to use that swipe up feature that they tout and it's just not consistent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. It's nowhere near the wonderful physical keyboards of old, and it's a big step behind the native keyboard on WP8 or any of the offerings on Android. The app selection is abysmal. I don't use a whole bunch of apps, but browsing the selection was depressing. It feels like very little has improved since the old Storm/Tour days. The sales rep, who I'll give credit to for actually knowing things about the phone, suggested that I would be able to sideload android apps onto the phone and get a larger selection, but to me, that's not an acceptable solution to the app problem. If I wanted to load a phone with android apps, I'd buy an android. The last thing I'd want to do is monkey around with trying to sideload apps and keep my fingers crossed that the ported version isn't garbage.

It was frustrating playing with that phone. There's some potential there, and I'm sure there are plenty of functions that I didn't even touch because I didn't know how to do them, but that is its own problem. I like to think I'm pretty decent with figuring out devices, like a phone. I know how to tool around and find the bits and pieces that aren't on the surface. There seemed to be a lot more frustrating digging around to find things on the Z10 than on other phones. I can only imagine how someone who doesn't want to dig around would feel playing with that demo unit. It's just not intuitive in any kind of way. It's not enjoyable to use. There may be some magic gestures that speed things up, but if I was hard pressed to figure them out with about a half hour of pretty solid playing around.

And I think that's the problem. If I was a normal person looking to buy a new smartphone, that demo unit would not sell me. It's a dull looking phone with a generic looking OS that seems to be a pain in the *** to use. That would be my initial impression. There wouldn't be any incentive to dig deeper into the OS to see if things improved, especially with the other phones being far more useful with less effort. Throw in the miserable app selection, and I don't see how this phone does anything more than sell to crackberry enthusiasts. It was disappointing. I want to like Blackberry phones again, but they just seem to be so boring and lagging far behind. It's starting to feel like the waning days of Palm/HP for Blackberry product.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
  • Cannot copy and paste

Cannot copy/past? Really now...

I copy and paste on mine all the type. Isn't as easy as iOS or even WP, but it can be done.

apalm8

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Funny you say all this...as a long time BB power user you seem to have the exact opposite impression that I did. I mean the one thing that is amazing on that phone is the navigation on it...intuitive is exactly the word I would use too. Maybe you weren't used to it but that wouldn't be a fair critique. I would agree that many other aspects of the phone were rough around the edges.

Interesting is the word I will use. It was weird, like it was trying to be the new cool way to navigate a phone.

Didn't seem very intuitive and getting around the phone didn't make sense. The lack of a dedicated home button didn't add to any kind of flow.

On the upside the hardware itself was pretty nice and the screen was great. The media player I liked and the notification center looks like it will give the user a ton of pretty useful info.

The best thing about it was the fully functional MLB AtBat 13 app! Actually, the App Store was pretty easy to get around and I liked the way it was laid out.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You REALLY need to own and use the Z10 to adequately judge the phone and esp. the OS. BB10 flows really nicely, it is just set up a lot different than the other OSes. It is easy to say it isn't intuitive just testing in stores, but it doesn't take long to pick up.

That said, it is missing basic things like WP. One of BB10's obvious left out features is multiple alarms. Currently, you can only set one alarm.

I am not going to get deep into it, but I did write a review on the z10 a little while back here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/bl...s-review-experience.html?highlight=z10+review

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett