So I got the S4

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
You guys act like windows phone doesn't lag at all. Now that's not to say android doesn't lag, it certainly does, but windows phone does too. In fact every os lags e even iOS.

And yes. The S4 had a lag issue because of the amount of features that Samsung forced on there.

True, all OS's lag, but if it was well build with the hardware it wont, the case for WP and iOS to lag is really rare. I've had my L920 for 5 months and I can assure you that I haven't experienced a second of lag (with abt 120 apps and games installed). haven't tried iOS.

But also and don't get me wrong my Lumia 920 with two cores compared to my(was) Samsung galaxy S4 with 8 cores and double the ram, the s4 still lagged. I think people should blame android oems and not android.

Its like Windows OS (desktop), PCs with too many oem software preinstalled will have a chance to lag more than PCs with fresh install of windows. there is a research for this info.

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
True, all OS's lag, but if it was well build with the hardware it wont, the case for WP and iOS to lag is really rare. I've had my L920 for 5 months and I can assure you that I haven't experienced a second of lag (with abt 120 apps and games installed). haven't tried iOS.

But also and don't get me wrong my Lumia 920 with two cores compared to my(was) Samsung galaxy S4 with 8 cores and double the ram, the s4 still lagged. I think people should blame android oems and not android.

Its like Windows OS (desktop), PCs with too many oem software preinstalled will have a chance to lag more than PCs with fresh install of windows. there is a research for this info.

I agree. Nexus devices with pure stock Android are very smooth.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
You guys are sure giving some extra effort for this gentleman to change his mind. What's up with that?

Hacer, use whatever device makes you happy. Of most of the "advise" I've ever gotten from others, I've found most of it to be completely wrong.

sure, I chose L920

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7, and one of the reasons I am not a huge fan of it is that it still wasn't as smooth as WP even though the specs are quite nice. With a different kernel and rom, it was better but def. far from lag free. That said, it sometimes comes down to individual people's tolerance.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I suffered from a lot of lag on my Galaxy Nexus but I reset it last night and at the moment the lag is gone but, I don't have games installed. My feeling is that Android is smooth enough but only if you don't have masses of data, a lot of top games titles are 1Gb or more, in storage and lots of widgets.

I don't think it's about the size of the game or app, it's the amount of ram used by background tasks. check your ram usage on your nexus with no running apps or games, should be about 1 of 2gb or even more.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Stock android isn't perfect, apps still crash and hang even on the quad core nexus 4. Samsung wacks so much bloatware on your phone, fills it with gimmick software and steals loads of your storage.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Stock android isn't perfect, apps still crash and hang even on the quad core nexus 4. Samsung wacks so much bloatware on your phone, fills it with gimmick software and steals loads of your storage.

Exactly, but usually app crash is a problem the developer should fix, but when it comes to OS apps like "Unfortunately, Google Play store stopped responding", seriously google play store crashes. GOOGLE is not giving attention to their smartphone os.

ramonq619

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have never seen a windows phone lag. I've had the HTC hd7 and now my Nokia Lumia 810. I use to have a HTC one s. What I've notice with android phone is that after months of having your phone it will lag a lot more than when you first got it. It might be different with other android phones but that's what I've noticed with the HTC one s

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?

So Nexus 4 - isn't the flagship Android device? What is the flagship Android device then? I'm baffled.

You guys act like windows phone doesn't lag at all. Now that's not to say android doesn't lag, it certainly does, but windows phone does too. In fact every os lags e even iOS.

And yes. The S4 had a lag issue because of the amount of features that Samsung forced on there.

No, WP doesn't have lags*

*XBox hub doesn't count - is a known bug in the hub, not the OS!

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So Nexus 4 - isn't the flagship Android device? What is the flagship Android device then? I'm baffled.

No, WP doesn't have lags*

*XBox hub doesn't count - is a known bug in the hub, not the OS!

Yes wp does lag. I have an 8x in front of me right now. But whatever there's no use arguing on a wp forum.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

well, this 8 core thing is just misleading lol and why?

it works on 4+4 cores and each set work at a time!
you got 4 A15 cores for heavy tasks and 4 A7 cores for simpler (light) tasks!

what this means? the phone never uses the 8 cores at the same time! it only uses 4 cores at a time, like i said above, depending on light/heavy tasks!

so in the end, you still have a quad-core lol and you should treat it like so!

then what's different about this octa chip? well despite still being a quad-core, it sure is a high-performance one and they claim the 4 A7 to be more power efficient!

but don't be mislead to think it runs 8 cores at the same time, because it doesen't lol

and yes, quad-cores can also lag, specially with Android! specially when you have a crapload of software gimmicks, bloatware and apps!

edit: if my explanation was insufficient or i didn't make myself clear (english is not my native language) read this - http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/samsung-galaxy-s4-octacore-review/

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain that more clearly with a scenario??

I notice when I unlock my phone and tap on the email icon the animation lags a little bit. Also when I open the messaging app and slide to the right, it lags while scrolling because it is loading stuff in the background. Then there is the time to time in third party app lag, although that is more the dev than wp.

Nope, it won't help considering most of us have known and used this OS since 2010 without a lag!

You've used the OS longer, good for you. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. I notice the lag, you don't. Simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I notice when I unlock my phone and tap on the email icon the animation lags a little bit. Also when I open the messaging app and slide to the right, it lags while scrolling because it is loading stuff in the background. Then there is the time to time in third party app lag, although that is more the dev than wp.

You've used the OS longer, good for you. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. I notice the lag, you don't. Simple as that.

You yourself has justified that "lag" that you call it, isn't lag. It's things loading i.e. your messenger refreshing contacts. If you put that phone in flight mode and put an Android in flight mode - you will still see lag on Android. Also, never said you are wrong. You probably are right in your own observation but knowing what we know from millions of other users who've used and reviewed fluidity and lag-free WP OS in past 3 years, this probably is an one-off outlier statistically.

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You yourself has justified that "lag" that you call it, isn't lag. It's things loading i.e. your messenger refreshing contacts. If you put that phone in flight mode and put an Android in flight mode - you will still see lag on Android. Also, never said you are wrong. You probably are right in your own observation but knowing what we know from millions of other users who've used and reviewed fluidity and lag-free WP OS in past 3 years, this probably is an one-off outlier statistically.
I think it's still lag. Of course it won't lag in flight mode because there won't be anything loading. The animations stutter when it is loading the contacts, and that to me is lag.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's still lag. Of course it won't lag in flight mode because there won't be anything loading. The animations stutter when it is loading the contacts, and that to me is lag.

What do you mean they stutter? I have yet to experience such a thing and I am on a lumia 620! Even while it is loading the contacts everything is running smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb