06-02-2013 04:25 PM
130 12345 ...
tools
    Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?
    The world /= USA and a few other country.
    N4 is around 650 in many countries.
    05-12-2013 08:23 PM
    You might think that. Its what I thought too. I have the Nexus 7 and its a good thing I spent my money on it. If it was a gift or won it in some contest, it'll be in a land fill by now. It lags so badly, I have to reboot it once a day. And I only use it for Flipboard and morning radio before I head to the office.
    Same. I own a Nexus 7, got it as a gift...would have never bought one for myself. It doesn't lag a lot, but I do not think its a great device. Battery is pretty bad, only use it to browse, watch vids and flip board. I don't think nexus is bad but I'd never buy it as a phone.
    05-12-2013 08:37 PM
    the project butter is essentially a hardcore use of cache technique. IMO it is not going anywhere until google is able to force everyone on a same UI.
    05-12-2013 11:13 PM
    The world /= USA and a few other country.
    N4 is around 650 in many countries.
    800NZ dollars. cheapest high end smartphone.
    Note most customers on the carriers buy unlocked phones only.

the project butter is essentially a hardcore use of cache technique. IMO it is not going anywhere until google is able to force everyone on a same UI.
    what do you mean same UI? Most apps are updated for the Holo design language. I used to hate Android and had an iPhone 5 but NOW that has fully changed Android has matured a lot and who cares how google improved the speed and efficiency? I think you should care about PB at the customers point of view not as a developer.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.
    05-12-2013 11:44 PM
    Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?
    note: 'm not giving example here abt android or windows or any other os

people still care about specs. but if you've got an OS running on superior hardware that lags, hangs, reboots, crashes. and you have another OS running on lower hardware specs that runs fast and smooth and doesn't lag, hang, reboot, crash. even though both OSs are similar in features and you can run the same apps/ games.

So now which OS do you choose?
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-13-2013 12:27 AM
    what do you mean same UI? Most apps are updated for the Holo design language. I used to hate Android and had an iPhone 5 but NOW that has fully changed Android has matured a lot and who cares how google improved the speed and efficiency? I think you should care about PB at the customers point of view not as a developer.
    If sense or touchwiz is all what the market wants then google should let H and S the permission to root these theme into the uiux into the core. But this will create forked version of the OS and soon go their separate way. Which is why now google and the manufactures are playing a dirty game where companies like Htc and Samsung are essentially welding their own designed chassis on top of the stock one. Google had been trying to close down the loop hole but its getting harder. Soon these two major brands will move beyond providing apps for their featured hardware like camera, gesture sensor and move towards offering browser, keyboards, app market and such, slowly ditching everything else other than the platform itself. While smaller players will completely ignore google service and choose to collaborate with independent app store like amazon, ebay or maybe even newegg, basically anyone that provides a fine plugin service.
    05-13-2013 12:36 AM
    I share the same skepticism. Had a Nokia 900 and switched to an iPhone5. My battery life was horrible so i looked at android. Ended up with the Optimus G. Lasts all day without lag.
    05-13-2013 12:50 AM
    I notice when I unlock my phone and tap on the email icon the animation lags a little bit. Also when I open the messaging app and slide to the right, it lags while scrolling because it is loading stuff in the background. Then there is the time to time in third party app lag, although that is more the dev than wp.

You've used the OS longer, good for you. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. I notice the lag, you don't. Simple as that.
    I also noticed that on my Lumia 820. Sometimes when I open the messaging app, it isn't as smooth as compared to other native apps, I can see how the tiles stutter. It's inconsistent, sometimes it does that sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if it's lag or something. Other that that its pretty smooth.
    05-13-2013 01:50 AM
    If you want the best Android experience, you either go with a Nexus device or root your phone and get a stock (or close to stock) ROM. Until the Jellybean update, my Galaxy Nexus was quite smooth, though still behind even my Samsung Focus in the stock apps in maintaining a high frame rate. It's important to know that I went through five or six updates before that without a hitch, no force closing or weird phone behavior that I'd have gotten on a skinned Android phone. It's still on par with my Evo LTE and the GS3 in terms of smoothness and crashes much less than skinned Android phones, but since the update there's a noticeable two-second lag at times simply pulling up the Swiftkey X keyboard. I think it's finally time to root.

If perceived OS smoothness is that important to a person, Windows Phone is arguably the way to go, with a definite nod to iOS as well. There's only the slightest hesitation on my iPhone 4s, and it nimbly jumps from app to app with none of the annoying "Resuming..." messages you get on Windows Phone. (Seriously, I'm not sure if its an OS limitation or ignorance by devs, but they'd do wonders to take a snapshot of their apps when they're dehydrated so that they could present the user with the snapshot while the app reloads, something iPhone devs know well.) I always laugh when reviews state how an Android phone handles tasks effortlessly, as though it'll be just as effortless months down the road when loaded with data, and apps that poll the phone state periodically to add features not standard to Android. I'm not knocking the platform, but just know that in order to get a smooth experience you'll need to care for your device more than you would than with iOS or Windows Phone. Or just get a Nexus and don't worry about the features OEMs are adding to their phones to make them stand out. They're mostly gimmicks anyway.
    05-13-2013 02:06 AM
    If you want the best Android experience, you either go with a Nexus device or root your phone and get a stock (or close to stock) ROM. Until the Jellybean update, my Galaxy Nexus was quite smooth, though still behind even my Samsung Focus in the stock apps in maintaining a high frame rate. It's important to know that I went through five or six updates before that without a hitch, no force closing or weird phone behavior that I'd have gotten on a skinned Android phone. It's still on par with my Evo LTE and the GS3 in terms of smoothness and crashes much less than skinned Android phones, but since the update there's a noticeable two-second lag at times simply pulling up the Swiftkey X keyboard. I think it's finally time to root.

If perceived OS smoothness is that important to a person, Windows Phone is arguably the way to go, with a definite nod to iOS as well. There's only the slightest hesitation on my iPhone 4s, and it nimbly jumps from app to app with none of the annoying "Resuming..." messages you get on Windows Phone. (Seriously, I'm not sure if its an OS limitation or ignorance by devs, but they'd do wonders to take a snapshot of their apps when they're dehydrated so that they could present the user with the snapshot while the app reloads, something iPhone devs know well.) I always laugh when reviews state how an Android phone handles tasks effortlessly, as though it'll be just as effortless months down the road when loaded with data, and apps that poll the phone state periodically to add features not standard to Android. I'm not knocking the platform, but just know that in order to get a smooth experience you'll need to care for your device more than you would than with iOS or Windows Phone. Or just get a Nexus and don't worry about the features OEMs are adding to their phones to make them stand out. They're mostly gimmicks anyway.
    That's why I love my nexus 4. 3 months later and no wipes just as good as my iPhone 5.
    hacer619 likes this.
    05-13-2013 02:55 AM
    Nope. every high end Android phone( HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 are all smooth you don't have to buy a specific one.
    I doubt that. In this same thread users have suggested TouchWiz, HTC Home etc making the phone laggy. So even after buying a high end HTC One or S4 (like the OP) if one has to experience lag, you have to wonder what phone should be purchased to experience Android at its best.

But then again, I never have to think which Lumia to pick up if I want a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS - if I have cash to throw, it's Lumia 928 (and if I'm on Verizon :/) and if I am real stingy and want to buy bread for my family, probably I'll settle for Lumia 610 and still have a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS.

Point being : high end, low end : with WP laggy days have seen a dead end.
    05-13-2013 04:56 AM
    When I had the Nexus 7, it was ok until you get to the point where you download the apps. Then it starts to slow down a little, then a few not responding here and there (especially in Chrome), and talk about the ads! Then I switched to an iPad mini, I could've gone with a Windows slate but I kinda wanted to stay in touch with my Apple side with all those apps that gets published for iOS first, plus the seamless Windows experience = best of both closed-source-OS worlds. That's when I realized I'm never buying an android-powered device again. The end.
    05-13-2013 06:56 AM
    So Nexus 4 - isn't the flagship Android device? What is the flagship Android device then? I'm baffled.

No, WP doesn't have lags*

*XBox hub doesn't count - is a known bug in the hub, not the OS!
    HTC One , Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, Xperia Z newer optimus series by LG. Nexus series was never, and isn't the flagship of Android phones.

note: 'm not giving example here abt android or windows or any other os

people still care about specs. but if you've got an OS running on superior hardware that lags, hangs, reboots, crashes. and you have another OS running on lower hardware specs that runs fast and smooth and doesn't lag, hang, reboot, crash. even though both OSs are similar in features and you can run the same apps/ games.

So now which OS do you choose?
    Again we're conveniently forgetting the chronic reboot issues that Windows Phone 8 faced upon launch. The random battery drain on Lumia 920. The overheating Lumia 920 issue. This forum is choke full of people complaining about this.
    Android doesn't crash or reboot. Welcome to 2013. We've moved past the days of Android 1.5.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 07:35 AM
    Again we're conveniently forgetting the chronic reboot issues that Windows Phone 8 faced upon launch. The random battery drain on Lumia 920. The overheating Lumia 920 issue. This forum is choke full of people complaining about this.
    Android doesn't crash or reboot. Welcome to 2013. We've moved past the days of Android 1.5.
    Well it does, i am using a galaxy tab on 4.2.2 and i do have to close apps to make it less laggy, it doesn't crash though
    05-13-2013 07:48 AM
    Well it does, i am using a galaxy tab on 4.2.2 and i do have to close apps to make it less laggy, it doesn't crash though
    Which Galaxy Tab? As far as I know there is no 'official' Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy Tab 2.0

Is it the Galaxy Tab 2.0 P3100? If yes then you'd know this is a very low end tablet.
    05-13-2013 07:52 AM
    Which Galaxy Tab? As far as I know there is no 'official' Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy Tab 2.0

Is it the Galaxy Tab 2.0 P3100? If yes then you'd know this is a very low end tablet.
    Yeah its the cm10.1 build on my p3113, and it is low end if you consider the other quad cores out there, but it has a 1ghz dual core and 768MB ram, that's quite comparable to current gen wp8 specs. In fact the official roms lag more, i have roomie who has a transformer with quad, and the official 4.1.x rom from asus, and its slower than my tab
    05-13-2013 07:56 AM
    LOL!!! "Android doesn't crash or reboot" ?

though the comment was not intended to be about specific OSs, and you insisted to add specific OS's

I'll give you one hint, go to youtube and search for 'android jelly bean lag' or 'android (version> 1.5) lag' orrrrrrrr 'android project butter lag'

or maybe and since it is 2013 try searching for 'Samsung galaxy s4 lag/stutter'

even though you'll find videos showing windows phone lag, these are very few and rare senarios
    Last edited by hacer619; 05-13-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    05-13-2013 09:06 AM
    I bought a new 710 for $130 near the end of that product's run. It lacks the expandable microSD slot. I would certainly consider replacing it with the 720.
    05-13-2013 09:52 AM
    LOL!!! "Android doesn't crash or reboot" ?

though the comment was not intended to be about specific OSs, and you insisted to add specific OS's

I'll give you one hint, go to youtube and search for 'android jelly bean lag' or 'android (version> 1.5) lag' orrrrrrrr 'android project butter lag'

or maybe and since it is 2013 try searching for 'Samsung galaxy s4 lag/stutter'

even though you'll find videos showing windows phone lag, these are very few and rare senarios
    Should I point you towards people complaining about their new Windows Phone 8 rebooting and suffering from abysmal battery? Funny how you believed those youtube videos but turn a blind eye to the majority of complaints here.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 09:55 AM
    Should I point you towards people complaining about their new Windows Phone 8 rebooting and suffering from abysmal battery? Funny how you believed those youtube videos but turn a blind eye to the majority of complaints here.
    funny how I believed? I'm confused now and I think you haven't read the main post. summary of it: I was very happy when I bought the s4, after installing apps I started to experience lag. and yes please point me towards people COMPLAINING about WP8
    05-13-2013 10:19 AM
    HTC One , Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, Xperia Z newer optimus series by LG. Nexus series was never, and isn't the flagship of Android phones.
    Aren't all these the devices that have OEM launchers - the very cause of jittery and laggy experience on Android that has been hashed a few times in this thread?
    05-13-2013 10:29 AM
    It seems nexus doesn't lag much, but mine lags just a little bit now, as I have a lot of background tasks. I have a nexus 4.
    05-13-2013 10:30 AM
    It seems nexus doesn't lag much, but mine lags just a little bit now, as I have a lot of background tasks. I have a nexus 4.
    Yeah nexus 4 is a great device, if not the android stock version on it is, when compared to other androids out there the nexus 4 does lag less/minimal. Samsung had screwed up the otherwise good stock android with its touch wiz
    05-13-2013 10:32 AM
    You do know that the topic at hand is "lag" not reboots and battery life. Because that's a whole new can of worms you are trying to open. And also what was inserted as a question earlier was : So to have a lag free android experience one *must* buy a high end phone. You cant have a good android experience for 130, can you? I surely can bet 99 for Lumia 710 is lag free.
    hacer619 and squire777 like this.
    05-13-2013 10:33 AM
    Aren't all these the devices that have OEM launchers - the very cause of jittery and laggy experience on Android that has been hashed a few times in this thread?
    Doesn't matter. They are still the flagship Android devices. The amount of lag doesn't determine whether a device is flagship or not.

So to have a lag free android experience one *must* buy a high end phone.
    This isn't news. It has been the case since Android came out. But you know what, there are pros and cons for each scenario. A low end Android phone might not be the best performer, but it can run all Android apps. Any new Android game will be compatible with pretty much all Android phones.
    Low end Windows Phones might perform well in day to day tasks, but let's ask those who just bought a Lumia 720 how they feel about not being able to play Temple Run when their buddies with Android phone half the price are playing Temple Run 2. Yes, it will sting and it will sting very hard. And yes, Temple Run has over a million downloads on the Play Store so let's not get into an argument of how many people who want to play this game. I'm using it as an example anyway, there are many other games.

Therefore my point is that both these situations have their pros and cons. Personally from what I've seen and what sales figures suggest, people just want to be able to play the latest games no matter what. They might not run as well as top end Android phones, but I personally know a lot of people who play PC games on low end PCs at ~20-25FPS just fine. They can AT LEAST run the game.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    05-13-2013 10:41 AM
130 12345 ...