The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-02-2013 04:25 PM
130 ... 23456
tools
    Yes wp does lag. I have an 8x in front of me right now. But whatever there's no use arguing on a wp forum.
    I also have an 8X on Verizon. Windows Phone is not the reason for the lag. HTC/Verizon is. There is a serious bug with the HTC 8X, my phone will lock up for 15 seconds some times... That's why I can't wait to get my Nokia Lumia 928.
    05-13-2013 11:03 AM
    Kind of sad to see that Android's only answer to it's laggy performance issues is throwing more CPU power and RAM at them, instead of dealing with the underlying issues with the OS.

I feel bad for those that shell out top dollar for the S4 and have to worry about which apps they should run to avoid lag.
    hacer619, camptime and Etios like this.
    05-13-2013 11:16 AM
    Doesn't matter. They are still the flagship Android devices. The amount of lag doesn't determine whether a device is flagship or not.

This isn't news. It has been the case since Android came out. But you know what, there are pros and cons for each scenario. A low end Android phone might not be the best performer, but it can run all Android apps. Any new Android game will be compatible with pretty much all Android phones.
    Low end Windows Phones might perform well in day to day tasks, but let's ask those who just bought a Lumia 720 how they feel about not being able to play Temple Run when their buddies with Android phone half the price are playing Temple Run 2. Yes, it will sting and it will sting very hard. And yes, Temple Run has over a million downloads on the Play Store so let's not get into an argument of how many people who want to play this game. I'm using it as an example anyway, there are many other games.

Therefore my point is that both these situations have their pros and cons. Personally from what I've seen and what sales figures suggest, people just want to be able to play the latest games no matter what. They might not run as well as top end Android phones, but I personally know a lot of people who play PC games on low end PCs at ~20-25FPS just fine. They can AT LEAST run the game.
    You used to post quite nicely before but now it is just coming across as tailored to fit really. I'll just call it a bad day ;)
    There is a difference in the scenario you are presenting. Being able to have a game on your phone and playing it with immense lag AND using your phone with lags and force closes is worse than using a phone that never lags, keeps your UX of a high end and not have a game that may freeze your phone eventually. There are zillions of people who want to play a game for one day, one month or even half a year v/s most users (don't count me in this) use their phones for 2 years. If you are in Canada you are looking at 3 year of doomed contract. Now do you want Temple Run that will run on your hardware for 6 months before new game that lags even more comes and you can play or you want a phone that won't choke to death?

Sales figures at this moment mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to anyone who knows the concept of saturated market and oligopoly in their simplest forms. WP has entered the market that is highly saturated and is currently a huge oligopoly and close to Android monopoly. Even if WP9 could convert into a Ferrari 3 times a year, sales figure will never justify it.

We are talking technology here and I would happily embrace technology that improves my UX and where I don't have to feel like throwing my phone against the wall while I load 5 apps at a same time and realize I want to open my Temple Run to show off my scores but if I do, I'll have to do a battery pull! I was thrilled at Samsung's announcement of having a 5G technology with 1GB/second download rates that was in news today! - That is where we are heading, not ~20-25 FPS games!
    hacer619, Laura Knotek and Etios like this.
    05-13-2013 01:29 PM
    I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.
    Another thing I'd want to add is about lag. While I absolutely hate it, I do understand where it comes from. You cannot compare iOS/WP with Android, especially performance and hardware requirement wise. Android has tons of services running in the background, apps are multitasking in realtime and the OS as a whole is very 'open' which gives apps the kind of control that you wouldn't get with WP/iOS. Lots of I/O operations going on on the (slow)internal flash storage That WILL make the phone lag on the odd occasion and hardware requirements will be high. This is why no matter how high end a PC you have, throw in 48GB of RAM with an Octa-core AMD, there will be those odd occasions when Windows will experience slow downs.
    Google can close the OS and make it as smooth as WP/iOS, but that would destroy everything that makes Android what it is.
    05-13-2013 03:08 PM
    I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.
    Another thing I'd want to add is about lag. While I absolutely hate it, I do understand where it comes from. You cannot compare iOS/WP with Android, especially performance and hardware requirement wise. Android has tons of services running in the background, apps are multitasking in realtime and the OS as a whole is very 'open' which gives apps the kind of control that you wouldn't get with WP/iOS. Lots of I/O operations going on on the (slow)internal flash storage That WILL make the phone lag on the odd occasion and hardware requirements will be high. This is why no matter how high end a PC you have, throw in 48GB of RAM with an Octa-core AMD, there will be those odd occasions when Windows will experience slow downs.
    Google can close the OS and make it as smooth as WP/iOS, but that would destroy everything that makes Android what it is.
    This guy speaks the truth. Lol. Still even though android lags from time to time, it is still pretty smooth considering it runs more processes in the background then wp/ios.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 03:57 PM
    I doubt that. In this same thread users have suggested TouchWiz, HTC Home etc making the phone laggy. So even after buying a high end HTC One or S4 (like the OP) if one has to experience lag, you have to wonder what phone should be purchased to experience Android at its best.

But then again, I never have to think which Lumia to pick up if I want a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS - if I have cash to throw, it's Lumia 928 (and if I'm on Verizon :/) and if I am real stingy and want to buy bread for my family, probably I'll settle for Lumia 610 and still have a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS.

Point being : high end, low end : with WP laggy days have seen a dead end.
    It's facebook Home not HTC, HTC sense is smooth as hell.the update to touch wizz made it smoother, Gone are the days of Android lagging. Please just stop anyone that tries to say android lags.

You do know that the topic at hand is "lag" not reboots and battery life. Because that's a whole new can of worms you are trying to open. And also what was inserted as a question earlier was : So to have a lag free android experience one *must* buy a high end phone. You cant have a good android experience for 130, can you? I surely can bet 99 for Lumia 710 is lag free.
    And Android does NOT lag I'm telling you from experience.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-14-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    05-13-2013 04:03 PM
    And Android does NOT lag I'm telling you from experience.
    android does lag when you have a bunch of apps open, even on the jelly bean update (i m telling that from my experience)
    05-13-2013 04:12 PM
    android does lag when you have a bunch of apps open, even on the jelly bean update (i m telling that from my experience)
    Guess I'll continue the trend. Windows phone does lag from time to time, not always. I'm telling you this from experience.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 04:20 PM
    ^^ lol
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 04:25 PM
    ^^ lol
    I'm actually telling the truth, I just chose to do it in a funny way.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 04:37 PM
    Low end Windows Phones might perform well in day to day tasks, but let's ask those who just bought a Lumia 720 how they feel about not being able to play Temple Run when their buddies with Android phone half the price are playing Temple Run 2. Yes, it will sting and it will sting very hard.
    Ehh, Personally I have not ordered my Lumia 720 yet or decided if it will be an 820. But I'd be more than happy not to have the pleasure of playing Temple Run. Considering the simple sprites, small FOV and DOF they were not able to make it run on less than 1 GB on WP8. If I was the software developer in charge, I'd jump off a cliff for that ****** accomplishment. They should really be ashamed. :D
    05-13-2013 05:08 PM
    Actually it's two step below 920. You've conveniently forgotten the 820. And the hardware that Nexus 4 offers for $350 makes the 720 look like a rip-off. Keeping OS preferences aside this $350 phone gets you a CPU that's even higher end than the 920, twice the RAM of 920, twice the power of Adreno 225 of 920 and a similar resolution screen of 920.
    WP8 With 1GB Ram = Butter
    Android with 3 GB of RAM = Okay preformance
    05-13-2013 05:16 PM
    What lag
    05-13-2013 05:19 PM
    Wp8 is still in the rudimentary stages. The OS is nice, but just like windows you have to keep doing hard resets' every other month to get the phone to update the tiles and lock screen, which makes for a very frustrating experience. According to my lock screen/live tile I'm posting this at 9:48 am. This is consistent with every WP owner's experience that I know. I wanted Wp to be a success, but folks don't need a phone with the same problems of a windows computer. I would never buy an iPhone because the screen is to small, but people love it because it does what it says it will do. If Nokia made the E71 with a bigger screen I would buy it over the L920, even with the old, outdated, Symbian OS!!
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-13-2013 05:41 PM
    WP8 With 1GB Ram = Butter
    Android with 3 GB of RAM = Okay preformance
    No. this is BS, the Galaxy Nexus 1GB RAM, dual core processor no lag. Stop it.
    05-13-2013 06:18 PM
    No. this is BS, the Galaxy Nexus 1GB RAM, dual core processor no lag. Stop it.
    I say we just surrender. Microsoft has some of the strongest defenders.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    05-13-2013 06:22 PM
    You must not know many WP owners then, and looking at your posting history 99% of your posts are WP bashing so it's hard to take your griefs seriously.

Maybe you do have to do resets on your WP, but with Android the phone does it for you by itself a few times a day.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    05-13-2013 06:22 PM
    You must not know many WP owners then, and looking at your posting history 99% of your posts are WP bashing so it's hard to take your griefs seriously.

Maybe you do have to do resets on your WP, but with Android the phone does it for you by itself a few times a day.
    Yeah that's true about my history posts. But if u actually read them, u would see that I'm actually rational and say that android has its faults too. You want me to be a fanboy? Ok. Here we go: WINDOWS MOBILE PHONE 8 SUCKS. IT'S LAGGY AND EVEN MAKES IOS LOOK GOOD. TROLOLOLL. GO ANDROID
    05-13-2013 06:27 PM
    my post was originally meant for Phasar but a couple of posts snuck in before I hit submit.

Either way we have people with experience with the latest builds of Android who say they have experienced lag and those that say they haven't. As with most things, personal experiences may vary.

My personal experience - I was recently setting up a Nexus 7 which was supposed to be a gift for someone and it was fine the day I initially used it. After a day of installing apps and games it was safe to say that it did lag and act unresponsive at times. It reminded me of why i jumped off the Android wagon after the Nexus One came out.
    05-13-2013 06:32 PM
    I sold my crumby lumia 920 for the GS4 and it was the best decision I've made in a very long time. Not only is the camera 1000000 times better but divx and flac files work out of the box.

I've noticed no lag and have way less limitations. All my favorite apps are back.

Lumia 920 does not even compare to the GS4...
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 05-14-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Cleared out personal attack
    05-13-2013 07:16 PM
    my post was originally meant for Phasar but a couple of posts snuck in before I hit submit.

Either way we have people with experience with the latest builds of Android who say they have experienced lag and those that say they haven't. As with most things, personal experiences may vary.

My personal experience - I was recently setting up a Nexus 7 which was supposed to be a gift for someone and it was fine the day I initially used it. After a day of installing apps and games it was safe to say that it did lag and act unresponsive at times. It reminded me of why i jumped off the Android wagon after the Nexus One came out.
    All my post deal with the reality of the windows phone experience. This is the only phone I've ever had to replace 3 times in less than nine months. And if you took your homer helmet with the super blinders off, you would find that most posters here have had more than one L920.
    05-13-2013 07:31 PM
    holding a n4 and a n7 seven, both lagging as i storm through menus, wonder if I am high or what not.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    05-13-2013 07:42 PM
    really??

oh really??
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-14-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    05-13-2013 07:47 PM
    My nexus 7 jelly bean 4.2.2 does lag specially when typing user name or password on a website viewed on desktop, even by just swiping from my list of apps.

Mind you that its a NEXUS device a product of Google and they cant even optimized their OS to the hardware.

Sure i can use kernels overclock the device, but the device would not even last for more than three hours and that's terrible coming from a nexus device.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 05-14-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Quote was a deleted post
    hacer619 likes this.
    05-13-2013 08:47 PM
    I would lose my cool regularly too if my phone/tablet lagged or froze on a consistent basis. It's ok man, I'm sure there will be some dessert-named update out soon that might help you out a little. I understand.
    05-13-2013 08:49 PM
130 ... 23456