So I got the S4

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean they stutter? I have yet to experience such a thing and I am on a lumia 620! Even while it is loading the contacts everything is running smoothly.

I think it's still lag. Of course it won't lag in flight mode because there won't be anything loading. The animations stutter when it is loading the contacts, and that to me is lag.

The poorer the connection speed, longer it takes to load i.e. lag.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
well, this 8 core thing is just misleading lol and why?

it works on 4+4 cores and each set work at a time!
you got 4 A15 cores for heavy tasks and 4 A7 cores for simpler (light) tasks!

what this means? the phone never uses the 8 cores at the same time! it only uses 4 cores at a time, like i said above, depending on light/heavy tasks!

so in the end, you still have a quad-core lol and you should treat it like so!

then what's different about this octa chip? well despite still being a quad-core, it sure is a high-performance one and they claim the 4 A7 to be more power efficient!

but don't be mislead to think it runs 8 cores at the same time, because it doesen't lol

and yes, quad-cores can also lag, specially with Android! specially when you have a crapload of software gimmicks, bloatware and apps!

edit: if my explanation was insufficient or i didn't make myself clear (english is not my native language) read this - Samsung Galaxy S 4 with Exynos Octa-core: what's different?

that's a good point, you are right

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So to have a lag-free experiences I need to buy only specific high-end? Thank god, I can pick up any Lumia from 510 to 928 and not worry about the lag!

Nope. every high end Android phone( HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 are all smooth you don't have to buy a specific one.

well, this 8 core thing is just misleading lol and why?

it works on 4+4 cores and each set work at a time!
you got 4 A15 cores for heavy tasks and 4 A7 cores for simpler (light) tasks!

what this means? the phone never uses the 8 cores at the same time! it only uses 4 cores at a time, like i said above, depending on light/heavy tasks!

so in the end, you still have a quad-core lol and you should treat it like so!

then what's different about this octa chip? well despite still being a quad-core, it sure is a high-performance one and they claim the 4 A7 to be more power efficient!

but don't be mislead to think it runs 8 cores at the same time, because it doesen't lol

and yes, quad-cores can also lag, specially with Android! specially when you have a crapload of software gimmicks, bloatware and apps!

edit: if my explanation was insufficient or i didn't make myself clear (english is not my native language) read this - Samsung Galaxy S 4 with Exynos Octa-core: what's different?
Yes it does **** me off as well I know they use ARMS big.LITTLE tech in their exynos chipset.

For real?
as for nexus devices they are loaded with untouched rom and shouldn't experience any lag

I got the S4 update 2 days ago it's just as smooth as my N4, for why it's worth I live in NZ so obviously have the international version.

Lumia 720 - Great Camera - One step below 920. Slek and slim phone. 4.3 inch screen. Expandable with micro sd.

Nexus 4- Stock Android- Sleek and slim phone- 4.7 IPS display.

I suffered from a lot of lag on my Galaxy Nexus but I reset it last night and at the moment the lag is gone but, I don't have games installed. My feeling is that Android is smooth enough but only if you don't have masses of data, a lot of top games titles are 1Gb or more, in storage and lots of widgets.
I have a Nexus 4 and I have no problem with all my apps and no lag what so ever. project butter was necessary and I wouldn't consider Android without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope. every high end Android phone( HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 are all smooth you don't have to buy a specific one.

I agree. I have very rare instances of lag on my note 2, and my nexus 10 is perfectly smooth. But like I said before, we are in a windows phone forum fighting against some of the strongest fanboys there are. Jk Jk.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes wp does lag. I have an 8x in front of me right now. But whatever there's no use arguing on a wp forum.

No need to argue, you can always take a picture of your 8x and post it here or even better, record and post a video of the lag on your 8x.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For real?
as for nexus devices they are loaded with untouched rom and shouldn't experience any lag

You might think that. Its what I thought too. I have the Nexus 7 and its a good thing I spent my money on it. If it was a gift or won it in some contest, it'll be in a land fill by now. It lags so badly, I have to reboot it once a day. And I only use it for Flipboard and morning radio before I head to the office.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
You might think that. Its what I thought too. I have the Nexus 7 and its a good thing I spent my money on it. If it was a gift or won it in some contest, it'll be in a land fill by now. It lags so badly, I have to reboot it once a day. And I only use it for Flipboard and morning radio before I head to the office.

I do have an asus transformer prime with the same specs as nexus 7 and it lags a lot. There is a huge improvement in ICS, but it still lags. swiping through apps, typing in any app.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Ahh yes. The N7 was lagging for some reason. I give you that.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Same. I own a Nexus 7, got it as a gift...would have never bought one for myself. It doesn't lag a lot, but I do not think its a great device. Battery is pretty bad, only use it to browse, watch vids and flip board. I don't think nexus is bad but I'd never buy it as a phone.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the project butter is essentially a hardcore use of cache technique. IMO it is not going anywhere until google is able to force everyone on a same UI.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The world /= USA and a few other country.
N4 is around 650 in many countries.

800NZ dollars. cheapest high end smartphone.
Note most customers on the carriers buy unlocked phones only.

the project butter is essentially a hardcore use of cache technique. IMO it is not going anywhere until google is able to force everyone on a same UI.

what do you mean same UI? Most apps are updated for the Holo design language. I used to hate Android and had an iPhone 5 but NOW that has fully changed Android has matured a lot and who cares how google improved the speed and efficiency? I think you should care about PB at the customers point of view not as a developer.

Last edited by a moderator:

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?

note: ?'m not giving example here abt android or windows or any other os

people still care about specs. but if you've got an OS running on superior hardware that lags, hangs, reboots, crashes. and you have another OS running on lower hardware specs that runs fast and smooth and doesn't lag, hang, reboot, crash. even though both OSs are similar in features and you can run the same apps/ games.

So now which OS do you choose?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
what do you mean same UI? Most apps are updated for the Holo design language. I used to hate Android and had an iPhone 5 but NOW that has fully changed Android has matured a lot and who cares how google improved the speed and efficiency? I think you should care about PB at the customers point of view not as a developer.
If sense or touchwiz is all what the market wants then google should let H and S the permission to root these theme into the uiux into the core. But this will create forked version of the OS and soon go their separate way. Which is why now google and the manufactures are playing a dirty game where companies like Htc and Samsung are essentially welding their own designed chassis on top of the stock one. Google had been trying to close down the loop hole but its getting harder. Soon these two major brands will move beyond providing apps for their featured hardware like camera, gesture sensor and move towards offering browser, keyboards, app market and such, slowly ditching everything else other than the platform itself. While smaller players will completely ignore google service and choose to collaborate with independent app store like amazon, ebay or maybe even newegg, basically anyone that provides a fine plugin service.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I share the same skepticism. Had a Nokia 900 and switched to an iPhone5. My battery life was horrible so i looked at android. Ended up with the Optimus G. Lasts all day without lag.

josh_ua

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I notice when I unlock my phone and tap on the email icon the animation lags a little bit. Also when I open the messaging app and slide to the right, it lags while scrolling because it is loading stuff in the background. Then there is the time to time in third party app lag, although that is more the dev than wp.

You've used the OS longer, good for you. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. I notice the lag, you don't. Simple as that.
I also noticed that on my Lumia 820. Sometimes when I open the messaging app, it isn't as smooth as compared to other native apps, I can see how the tiles stutter. It's inconsistent, sometimes it does that sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if it's lag or something. Other that that its pretty smooth.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If you want the best Android experience, you either go with a Nexus device or root your phone and get a stock (or close to stock) ROM. Until the Jellybean update, my Galaxy Nexus was quite smooth, though still behind even my Samsung Focus in the stock apps in maintaining a high frame rate. It's important to know that I went through five or six updates before that without a hitch, no force closing or weird phone behavior that I'd have gotten on a skinned Android phone. It's still on par with my Evo LTE and the GS3 in terms of smoothness and crashes much less than skinned Android phones, but since the update there's a noticeable two-second lag at times simply pulling up the Swiftkey X keyboard. I think it's finally time to root.

If perceived OS smoothness is that important to a person, Windows Phone is arguably the way to go, with a definite nod to iOS as well. There's only the slightest hesitation on my iPhone 4s, and it nimbly jumps from app to app with none of the annoying "Resuming..." messages you get on Windows Phone. (Seriously, I'm not sure if its an OS limitation or ignorance by devs, but they'd do wonders to take a snapshot of their apps when they're dehydrated so that they could present the user with the snapshot while the app reloads, something iPhone devs know well.) I always laugh when reviews state how an Android phone handles tasks effortlessly, as though it'll be just as effortless months down the road when loaded with data, and apps that poll the phone state periodically to add features not standard to Android. I'm not knocking the platform, but just know that in order to get a smooth experience you'll need to care for your device more than you would than with iOS or Windows Phone. Or just get a Nexus and don't worry about the features OEMs are adding to their phones to make them stand out. They're mostly gimmicks anyway.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
If you want the best Android experience, you either go with a Nexus device or root your phone and get a stock (or close to stock) ROM. Until the Jellybean update, my Galaxy Nexus was quite smooth, though still behind even my Samsung Focus in the stock apps in maintaining a high frame rate. It's important to know that I went through five or six updates before that without a hitch, no force closing or weird phone behavior that I'd have gotten on a skinned Android phone. It's still on par with my Evo LTE and the GS3 in terms of smoothness and crashes much less than skinned Android phones, but since the update there's a noticeable two-second lag at times simply pulling up the Swiftkey X keyboard. I think it's finally time to root.

If perceived OS smoothness is that important to a person, Windows Phone is arguably the way to go, with a definite nod to iOS as well. There's only the slightest hesitation on my iPhone 4s, and it nimbly jumps from app to app with none of the annoying "Resuming..." messages you get on Windows Phone. (Seriously, I'm not sure if its an OS limitation or ignorance by devs, but they'd do wonders to take a snapshot of their apps when they're dehydrated so that they could present the user with the snapshot while the app reloads, something iPhone devs know well.) I always laugh when reviews state how an Android phone handles tasks effortlessly, as though it'll be just as effortless months down the road when loaded with data, and apps that poll the phone state periodically to add features not standard to Android. I'm not knocking the platform, but just know that in order to get a smooth experience you'll need to care for your device more than you would than with iOS or Windows Phone. Or just get a Nexus and don't worry about the features OEMs are adding to their phones to make them stand out. They're mostly gimmicks anyway.
That's why I love my nexus 4. 3 months later and no wipes just as good as my iPhone 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb