So I got the S4

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nope. every high end Android phone( HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 are all smooth you don't have to buy a specific one.

I doubt that. In this same thread users have suggested TouchWiz, HTC Home etc making the phone laggy. So even after buying a high end HTC One or S4 (like the OP) if one has to experience lag, you have to wonder what phone should be purchased to experience Android at its best.

But then again, I never have to think which Lumia to pick up if I want a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS - if I have cash to throw, it's Lumia 928 (and if I'm on Verizon :/) and if I am real stingy and want to buy bread for my family, probably I'll settle for Lumia 610 and still have a smooth, lag free, no freeze OS.

Point being : high end, low end : with WP laggy days have seen a dead end.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
When I had the Nexus 7, it was ok until you get to the point where you download the apps. Then it starts to slow down a little, then a few not responding here and there (especially in Chrome), and talk about the ads! Then I switched to an iPad mini, I could've gone with a Windows slate but I kinda wanted to stay in touch with my Apple side with all those apps that gets published for iOS first, plus the seamless Windows experience = best of both closed-source-OS worlds. That's when I realized I'm never buying an android-powered device again. The end.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So Nexus 4 - isn't the flagship Android device? What is the flagship Android device then? I'm baffled.

No, WP doesn't have lags*

*XBox hub doesn't count - is a known bug in the hub, not the OS!
HTC One , Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, Xperia Z newer optimus series by LG. Nexus series was never, and isn't the flagship of Android phones.

note: ?'m not giving example here abt android or windows or any other os

people still care about specs. but if you've got an OS running on superior hardware that lags, hangs, reboots, crashes. and you have another OS running on lower hardware specs that runs fast and smooth and doesn't lag, hang, reboot, crash. even though both OSs are similar in features and you can run the same apps/ games.

So now which OS do you choose?
Again we're conveniently forgetting the chronic reboot issues that Windows Phone 8 faced upon launch. The random battery drain on Lumia 920. The overheating Lumia 920 issue. This forum is choke full of people complaining about this.
Android doesn't crash or reboot. Welcome to 2013. We've moved past the days of Android 1.5.

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Again we're conveniently forgetting the chronic reboot issues that Windows Phone 8 faced upon launch. The random battery drain on Lumia 920. The overheating Lumia 920 issue. This forum is choke full of people complaining about this.
Android doesn't crash or reboot. Welcome to 2013. We've moved past the days of Android 1.5.
Well it does, i am using a galaxy tab on 4.2.2 and i do have to close apps to make it less laggy, it doesn't crash though

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well it does, i am using a galaxy tab on 4.2.2 and i do have to close apps to make it less laggy, it doesn't crash though
Which Galaxy Tab? As far as I know there is no 'official' Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy Tab 2.0

Is it the Galaxy Tab 2.0 P3100? If yes then you'd know this is a very low end tablet.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Which Galaxy Tab? As far as I know there is no 'official' Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy Tab 2.0

Is it the Galaxy Tab 2.0 P3100? If yes then you'd know this is a very low end tablet.

Yeah its the cm10.1 build on my p3113, and it is low end if you consider the other quad cores out there, but it has a 1ghz dual core and 768MB ram, that's quite comparable to current gen wp8 specs. In fact the official roms lag more, i have roomie who has a transformer with quad, and the official 4.1.x rom from asus, and its slower than my tab

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site

LOL!!! "Android doesn't crash or reboot" ?

though the comment was not intended to be about specific OSs, and you insisted to add specific OS's

I'll give you one hint, go to youtube and search for 'android jelly bean lag' or 'android (version> 1.5) lag' orrrrrrrr 'android project butter lag'

or maybe and since it is 2013 try searching for 'Samsung galaxy s4 lag/stutter'

even though you'll find videos showing windows phone lag, these are very few and rare senarios

Last edited:

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new 710 for $130 near the end of that product's run. It lacks the expandable microSD slot. I would certainly consider replacing it with the 720.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
LOL!!! "Android doesn't crash or reboot" ?

though the comment was not intended to be about specific OSs, and you insisted to add specific OS's

I'll give you one hint, go to youtube and search for 'android jelly bean lag' or 'android (version> 1.5) lag' orrrrrrrr 'android project butter lag'

or maybe and since it is 2013 try searching for 'Samsung galaxy s4 lag/stutter'

even though you'll find videos showing windows phone lag, these are very few and rare senarios
Should I point you towards people complaining about their new Windows Phone 8 rebooting and suffering from abysmal battery? Funny how you believed those youtube videos but turn a blind eye to the majority of complaints here.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Should I point you towards people complaining about their new Windows Phone 8 rebooting and suffering from abysmal battery? Funny how you believed those youtube videos but turn a blind eye to the majority of complaints here.

funny how I believed? I'm confused now and I think you haven't read the main post. summary of it: I was very happy when I bought the s4, after installing apps I started to experience lag. and yes please point me towards people COMPLAINING about WP8

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
HTC One , Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, Xperia Z newer optimus series by LG. Nexus series was never, and isn't the flagship of Android phones.

Aren't all these the devices that have OEM launchers - the very cause of jittery and laggy experience on Android that has been hashed a few times in this thread?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It seems nexus doesn't lag much, but mine lags just a little bit now, as I have a lot of background tasks. I have a nexus 4.

Yeah nexus 4 is a great device, if not the android stock version on it is, when compared to other androids out there the nexus 4 does lag less/minimal. Samsung had screwed up the otherwise good stock android with its touch wiz

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

You do know that the topic at hand is "lag" not reboots and battery life. Because that's a whole new can of worms you are trying to open. And also what was inserted as a question earlier was : So to have a lag free android experience one *must* buy a high end phone. You cant have a good android experience for ?130, can you? I surely can bet ?99 for Lumia 710 is lag free.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Aren't all these the devices that have OEM launchers - the very cause of jittery and laggy experience on Android that has been hashed a few times in this thread?
Doesn't matter. They are still the flagship Android devices. The amount of lag doesn't determine whether a device is flagship or not.

So to have a lag free android experience one *must* buy a high end phone.
This isn't news. It has been the case since Android came out. But you know what, there are pros and cons for each scenario. A low end Android phone might not be the best performer, but it can run all Android apps. Any new Android game will be compatible with pretty much all Android phones.
Low end Windows Phones might perform well in day to day tasks, but let's ask those who just bought a Lumia 720 how they feel about not being able to play Temple Run when their buddies with Android phone half the price are playing Temple Run 2. Yes, it will sting and it will sting very hard. And yes, Temple Run has over a million downloads on the Play Store so let's not get into an argument of how many people who want to play this game. I'm using it as an example anyway, there are many other games.

Therefore my point is that both these situations have their pros and cons. Personally from what I've seen and what sales figures suggest, people just want to be able to play the latest games no matter what. They might not run as well as top end Android phones, but I personally know a lot of people who play PC games on low end PCs at ~20-25FPS just fine. They can AT LEAST run the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes wp does lag. I have an 8x in front of me right now. But whatever there's no use arguing on a wp forum.

I also have an 8X on Verizon. Windows Phone is not the reason for the lag. HTC/Verizon is. There is a serious bug with the HTC 8X, my phone will lock up for 15 seconds some times... That's why I can't wait to get my Nokia Lumia 928.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Kind of sad to see that Android's only answer to it's laggy performance issues is throwing more CPU power and RAM at them, instead of dealing with the underlying issues with the OS.

I feel bad for those that shell out top dollar for the S4 and have to worry about which apps they should run to avoid lag.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter. They are still the flagship Android devices. The amount of lag doesn't determine whether a device is flagship or not.

This isn't news. It has been the case since Android came out. But you know what, there are pros and cons for each scenario. A low end Android phone might not be the best performer, but it can run all Android apps. Any new Android game will be compatible with pretty much all Android phones.
Low end Windows Phones might perform well in day to day tasks, but let's ask those who just bought a Lumia 720 how they feel about not being able to play Temple Run when their buddies with Android phone half the price are playing Temple Run 2. Yes, it will sting and it will sting very hard. And yes, Temple Run has over a million downloads on the Play Store so let's not get into an argument of how many people who want to play this game. I'm using it as an example anyway, there are many other games.

Therefore my point is that both these situations have their pros and cons. Personally from what I've seen and what sales figures suggest, people just want to be able to play the latest games no matter what. They might not run as well as top end Android phones, but I personally know a lot of people who play PC games on low end PCs at ~20-25FPS just fine. They can AT LEAST run the game.

You used to post quite nicely before but now it is just coming across as tailored to fit really. I'll just call it a bad day ;)
There is a difference in the scenario you are presenting. Being able to have a game on your phone and playing it with immense lag AND using your phone with lags and force closes is worse than using a phone that never lags, keeps your UX of a high end and not have a game that may freeze your phone eventually. There are zillions of people who want to play a game for one day, one month or even half a year v/s most users (don't count me in this) use their phones for 2 years. If you are in Canada you are looking at 3 year of doomed contract. Now do you want Temple Run that will run on your hardware for 6 months before new game that lags even more comes and you can play or you want a phone that won't choke to death?

Sales figures at this moment mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to anyone who knows the concept of saturated market and oligopoly in their simplest forms. WP has entered the market that is highly saturated and is currently a huge oligopoly and close to Android monopoly. Even if WP9 could convert into a Ferrari 3 times a year, sales figure will never justify it.

We are talking technology here and I would happily embrace technology that improves my UX and where I don't have to feel like throwing my phone against the wall while I load 5 apps at a same time and realize I want to open my Temple Run to show off my scores but if I do, I'll have to do a battery pull! I was thrilled at Samsung's announcement of having a 5G technology with 1GB/second download rates that was in news today! - That is where we are heading, not ~20-25 FPS games!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.
Another thing I'd want to add is about lag. While I absolutely hate it, I do understand where it comes from. You cannot compare iOS/WP with Android, especially performance and hardware requirement wise. Android has tons of services running in the background, apps are multitasking in realtime and the OS as a whole is very 'open' which gives apps the kind of control that you wouldn't get with WP/iOS. Lots of I/O operations going on on the (slow)internal flash storage That WILL make the phone lag on the odd occasion and hardware requirements will be high. This is why no matter how high end a PC you have, throw in 48GB of RAM with an Octa-core AMD, there will be those odd occasions when Windows will experience slow downs.
Google can close the OS and make it as smooth as WP/iOS, but that would destroy everything that makes Android what it is.

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.
Another thing I'd want to add is about lag. While I absolutely hate it, I do understand where it comes from. You cannot compare iOS/WP with Android, especially performance and hardware requirement wise. Android has tons of services running in the background, apps are multitasking in realtime and the OS as a whole is very 'open' which gives apps the kind of control that you wouldn't get with WP/iOS. Lots of I/O operations going on on the (slow)internal flash storage That WILL make the phone lag on the odd occasion and hardware requirements will be high. This is why no matter how high end a PC you have, throw in 48GB of RAM with an Octa-core AMD, there will be those odd occasions when Windows will experience slow downs.
Google can close the OS and make it as smooth as WP/iOS, but that would destroy everything that makes Android what it is.

This guy speaks the truth. Lol. Still even though android lags from time to time, it is still pretty smooth considering it runs more processes in the background then wp/ios.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa