So I got the S4

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to put in my two cents and say that android, for me, would be settling supremely. I have minimal (~10) games on my 920 and about 150 other apps. I experienced lag on a near fresh floor model S4 and One after downloading 30 apps. I even reset. So, after all my apps or equivalents, the phone would likely not function well. Nexus does handle a bit better but still laggy where my 920 handles it flawlessly with a preemptive reset every 2-3 days. I have gone a week without resetting it as well, and I had a charging problem that a reset fixed.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.
Another thing I'd want to add is about lag. While I absolutely hate it, I do understand where it comes from. You cannot compare iOS/WP with Android, especially performance and hardware requirement wise. Android has tons of services running in the background, apps are multitasking in realtime and the OS as a whole is very 'open' which gives apps the kind of control that you wouldn't get with WP/iOS. Lots of I/O operations going on on the (slow)internal flash storage That WILL make the phone lag on the odd occasion and hardware requirements will be high. This is why no matter how high end a PC you have, throw in 48GB of RAM with an Octa-core AMD, there will be those odd occasions when Windows will experience slow downs.
Google can close the OS and make it as smooth as WP/iOS, but that would destroy everything that makes Android what it is.

App lags is ok, app crash is ok - it's a bad development. We are dealing with OS lag which you've summed up quite nicely in the second paragraph!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the lag on Android. I abandoned Android a year ago and went the iOS/WP way because the idea of a $600 phone lagging is unbearable to me. But there is a very big misconception that Android 'crashes and reboots' all the time. That is just not true. I've had apps crash on my iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and One X. But on all three of these phones it rarely happened.

Yes, yes, and yes! I've had more app crashes and lag on my iPod Touch 4th Gen (iOS) than on my HTC Flyer and my HTC TITAN/Nokia Lumia 920 combined. But then again that is app lag. However, as this thread is about OS lag and not app lag, I am going to cut this post short.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
>I can pick up any Lumia from 510 to 928 and not worry about the lag!
Just worry about random lock ups.

I still have my Nexus S from 2010, it has Jelly Bean on it and guess what, it has all the latest apps too.

Then I looked at my HD7 and it feels so left behind.

Oh well back to my Lumia and iPhone combo.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I get credited as being a negative poster because I point out the negative flaws of WP and Nokia. Seeing as I'll be returning my Lumia 920 for the third time, I feel I'm entitled to my opinion. And that doesn't include the unexceptable hard resets required every other month to keep the lock screen and live titles updated, which is sad considering those are the major selling points of the OS.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I get credited as being a negative poster because I point out the negative flaws of WP and Nokia. Seeing as I'll be returning my Lumia 920 for the third time, I feel I'm entitled to my opinion. And that doesn't include the unexceptable hard resets required every other month to keep the lock screen and live titles updated, which is sad considering those are the major selling points of the OS.

There's a difference between being a negative poster (that's not too bad in itself, but would be nice if you could show some positivity from time to time. The constant negativity can be quite draining) and a disruptive/trolling poster. You fall under the former, and that's fine. I've looked through your post history and you seem to put forward your points quite clearly and maturely. So don't worry. :smile:

Salim Khan3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No phone or os is perfect. They all have their hiccups. When u buy fresh Andriod with Jelly bean from store - it's fantastic ! After a while when u install apps and games and use them for a while without using task manager, etc., to clean the phone periodically the lag starts and gets worse.( depends on the specs of the phone ) Iphone is great but boring but again , very, very reliable . Great apps. No comparison with anyone else. I am looking forward to their IOS 7. Apple bashing or what, they are good- period. How much so ever Samsung jumps here and there, when you want reliability it is an iphone , never a Galaxy ! The lag in Anriod phones are inevitable cause they use too many widgets which runs in the background . It is the the nature of the OS.
About Windows 8 phone. They are nice. The fastest UI I have ever seen. Reliable though not as yet as much as an IOS . ( I had a 710 and a 620 and had issues of 'hanging', though not too often like in an Andriod but nevertheless, did have ) but if Windows phone can offer better apps (like for example Line app with voice call or Facebook with Voice Messenger, etc.,) it would be better for them. The two thing ( according to me ) sucks, is their Notification ( which is not under one roof - like andriod - IOS not that good too in this department ) and irritatingly , there is NO Media Volume but only one Volume to control Media ! Now THAT was stupid ! A simple thing like that ! And a small ( but essential ) thing when you make a phone call the Recent calls is shown within the tile ( more like a Privacy issue really ) and cannot be deleted ! So, if someone takes my phone he /she can see who I have been calling unless I lock down the phone with a password which is not required all the time ! The Window Phone quirks are there. But I hope not to stay ! And I hope they improve and yes, do not stop their updates in July 2014 which I have heard and which will discourage people from buying the phone ! On the whole, Windows Phone are very good and if their apps are improved and notifications and a few quirks, I can easily say they are on the par with IOS - and Andriod the next best after them.Andriod can be customized unlike other OS and it is their strong point but also their downfall since its like a tumbling rock gathering moss. The more personalization, the more consumption of ram and so speed and smoothness. One can know this only after use and never in a store. Of course, millions of people using Anriod are happy and I would put this 'lag', more to personal taste . Thanks !

Jacob Weltchek

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got one, man I love the S4. Its light, and thin with a big beautiful screen. Android may not be as elegant as Windows Phone, but its a lot more colorful and cheery. Every single app/game I've ever desired is available too which is a huge plus. But the phone does have a few issues, it can get pretty hot under stress, and the 16 GB version only has 8 GB of actual free space. I'll keep my Lumia 920 on standby, but the Galaxy S4 is my new favorite phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786