Z10 and BB10: Confused Excellence (A WPCentral Ambassador's Review and Experience)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To me, Blackberry has always been about corporate use: men in suits who feel that every text, email and phone call is required to keep the world from exploding. The same stigma also followed bluetooth headsets that never came off some people's ears. The headsets aren't nearly as popular anymore and I was hoping BB would die along side. Also, when I used a friend's BB (who knows which), the gui felt terrible. I couldn't help but wonder why they were so popular, not paying attention to the different business integrations that was it's core attraction.

Then came BB10. Early leaked videos peaked my interest. It seemed as if RIM, as it was then, was attempting to grab a much broader audience with a sexier look and fantastic touch gestures. While I never followed the rumors with any consistence, the occasional story from fellow Mobile Nations site Crackberry gave me a vague idea of what was going on.

Given that I had been vested in all touch phones for some time, the Z10 began showing up on my radar. Unfortunately, the used market never seemed to bring the type of deals I could get on other phones, mostly do to very few Z10s being sold overall. Then AT&T dropped the off contract price to about $430. With turning in my iPhone 4, the Z10 was just over $300 new, out the door. I cautiously brought it home, not quite knowing what all to expect.

With a few weeks under my belt only using my Z10, I finally feel like I can offer a great perspective from an average techy smartphone user, not a business user. Will it make me jump for joy (in a bounce house obviously)? Can it change my mind and preconceptions of BB and their phones? Let's get this ridiculously long review started!

Hardware/Outside/Buttons:
Upon opening the ugly AT&T box that all their phones get tortured in, I came face to face with the Z10. At first glance, I found it utilitarian looking, nothing that jumped out and said, "I'm different than a million other all-black Android phones." After a short period of time, I warmed up to it's look. It is a simple design that works.

The back, covered in a rubber-like, textured material, makes the phone very easy to grasp hold of one-handed. The chrome BB logo on the back of the phone adds enough bang to easily identify it as a BB device and to brake up the otherwise average looks. Also, the AT&T almost fades into the back compared to dominating like some other handsets.

The screen is capped at both ends with a centimeter width of matted plastic. The BB name is located on the glass right above the bottom plastic. At the top of the front, you can see the typical speaker, camera, proximity censor and a feature which I haven't had on my phones in forever, LED notification light! I know it has been a staple for BB but a notification light has been left off WAY too many phones using the other OSes. I wish it was multi-colored like the Optimus G Pro I reviewed before, but I am happy with the single red light.

The bottom contains a small opening for the speakerphone which also doubles as a great starting spot to taking off the back cover. The left side containsmicro-USB and micro-HDMI ports. I prefer the USB port to be on the bottom or top, but I never found it bothered me to the point I wanted to return the phone. The top has the headphone jack, power button and a mic. Since using the Lumia 900, the power button seems easier to use when located on the side of the phone. With how BB10 is designed, this is less of an issue (more on that later). On the right side, there is a volume rocker with a voice command button between the volume up and down. While the center button might be able to accomplish more, I haven't found any other uses for it. I wish it doubled as a camera shutter button. All the buttons provide decent tactical feedback and are easy to find without looking.

Inside the back cover, you can see the NFC chip on it. I first I thought it was wireless charging, but my heart sank pretty quickly when I realized it wasn't
. I like NFC for a couple purposes, but wireless charging is a bigger deal for me. The 1800 mAh battery is about the size of two gum packs in length and height but about half as thick. The micro-SD card slot and SIM card slot are both easy to reach and use.

Screen:
The 4.2" screen has a 1280 x 768 resolution, equaling 356 ppi. I found it to be bright, vibrant and a pleasure to use, except for outside in the sun. Like most smartphones including iPhones and many Android phones, use in direct sunlight was darn near impossible. I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried taking pictures while at an amusement park. This was disappointing since my Lumia 920 is relatively easy to navigate in the brightest sun. I have smaller hands and I found it simple to reach every portion of the screen one-handed. Touch seems to be accurate responsive with only lag likely caused by software.

Cameras:
The FFC is unimpressive like every other phone I have used, nothing new. The back camera is 8mp. Coming from the 920, the back camera seemed rather poor. Given that BB has never been known for it's great cameras, I wasn't really surprised that it couldn't compare to other current flagships. Day time photos were fine for typical social network use. Night-time photos were fairly weak. The one major issue I had the Z10's camera was blurriness. It is super sensitive to either the phone moving or the object photographed moving while taking a photo. This issue was more pronounced than on any other smart phone I have used in the last couple years. One positive is that pictures were taken immediately upon pressing the screen, assuming the focus box had turned to green.

Speaker:
Blah. That is really all I want to type. It is not nearly loud enough on many apps. To my non-audiophile ears, it also sounds worse than other flagships I have tried. For any sort of entertainment, remember your headphones!

Call Quality:
No surprise, this BB10 phone sounds great while talking. Calls are clear and sound better than either the Optimus G Pro, Lumia 920 or iPhone 4. This is based on making calls in the same place with all the phones.

General OS:
Keep in mind I have never owned a BB device before. I feel that some opinions will probably differ greatly depending on previous BB experience.

The phone starts up a little bit slower than my Lumia 920 or Optimus G Pro. This shouldn't be much of an issue considering most leave their phones on all the time. I do enjoy the progress circle which helps alert the user to how much longer loading will take. It even gives a percentage when the center is pressed for a second.

When I began using the phone for the first time, I have to admit I was a bit confused. I watched the intro help, but it wasn't always completely obvious how to get from point a to point b. After opening up the first app, I swiped up from the bottom to close it (or so I thought). It actually minimizes it and the app becomes an "active frame." These are used in multitasking and, in some cases, as information "tiles" (like in the case of the weather app). Here is the confusing part: when you minimize an app, you go to the active frames page. In most OSes, you go to the homepage containing icons, widgets or tiles. BB10 more or less places you at the open apps. Once all apps are closed, the first page of icons becomes the main homepage. This method of organization made me adapt. I don't find it more helpful compared to the other OSes, but I also don't find it worse.

Remember when I said the power button placement wasn't as important in BB10? Turning on the screen on the Z10 is as simple as swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Small swipe displays the lockscreen. Longer swipe unlocks the phone. I fell in love immediately. Not having to press a specific physical button then swipe makes life easier. The 920 will have a similar unlock feature (double tap on the screen), but it isn't here quite yet.

Basic navigation is very much different as well. As described previously, minimizing an app requires swiping up from just below the screen. To see the hub without closing the app, you swipe up and to the right without letting go off the screen. Called "Peek and Flow", this is an incredibly easy method to seeing all emails, text messages, etc. (not just previously unseen ones) without getting out of an app. I found this much simpler and more useful compared to using a notification center (which only shows the newest, unseen messages) or minimizing the app to see info from a live tile. Mix this with the notification LED and I felt like I was always informed.

Settings/options inside of apps felt a little bit like the wild west. Some are accessed by swiping down from the top of the screen. Some are viewed by swiping right or pressing a tab on the bottom left. Others are discovered by pressing the three dot icon on the bottom right. Point being, it can become confusing on where to look very quickly. I assume part of this happens due to some apps being native while others are Android apps running through the Android runtime. No matter what the reason, smartphone novices will likely become frustrated.

The Hub is one feature that I am definitely impressed by. It works as a unified messaging inbox mixed with your notifications. Viewing just email, just text messages, just Facebook notifications, etc. is as simple as one swipe and one tap. To me, it works a LOT better than iOS or Android's notification tray. In Android, I always felt too many notifications, from apps and the system, crowded up the tray. Never was this an issue with the Hub. I also find it slightly quicker than live tiles, though either method works just fine for me.

Keyboard:
Z10's touch keyboard lives up to Blackberry's history of great keyboards. I found it as easy and accurate as my Lumia 920, and a lot better than stock Android or iOS. One major problem, for me, was the shift/caps key. In almost all other virtual keyboards, double tapping the caps key turns caps lock on. On the Z10, holding the key down for a second turns the lock on. While this wouldn't be aggravating to new smartphone/tablet users, those with decent experience will find themselves double tapping the caps key all the time. Old habits die hard, and this won't die for me anytime soon.

The keyboard does come with tricks up it's sleeve. Swiping up or down on the keyboard changes the buttons currently active (same action as tapping a symbols button for example). Swiping left on the keyboard erases everything behind the cursor in the current field. These type of shortcuts make using the keyboard even more productive, though BB10 doesn't make it obvious they exist. I discovered the ones listed above while reading through random Crackberry forums.

Apps:
Here is the single biggest downfall of the Z10. Like WP from a year and a half ago, BB10 has some major apps but is missing a lot. Many apps that I use on my 920 were missing in Blackberry World, along with suitable alternatives (seriously haven't found a better YouTube app on any platform than Metrotube!). In today's world, apps are what kill smartphone growth. Many carrier reps have steered potential buyers from WP8 phones because of this, and I can only imagine the Z10 and Q10 are treated worse.

Blackberry attempted to grow the store as quick as possible by having an Android runtime. This allows developers to quickly and easily convert their Android app to a BB10 app. Many apps that use this method run just fine, but it denies users of some deeper integration that can only come from native apps.

For the more adventurous crowd, it is possible to sideload Android apps onto the Z10. This requires acquiring the apk, converting it to a bar file using a program and then sideloading the bar file using another program. While you can find guides over in Crackberry's forums, it isn't for the average user. It also has it's limitations, such as limited access to bluetooth from these apps. Also, the current runtime only supports apps up to Android 2.3.3 (will support 4.2 apps once BB10.2 arrives). This reminds me of those who say you can overcome the shortcomings of Android and iOS by rooting and jailbreaking respectively. While this is somewhat true, your average smartphone user will never do any of these things. Relying on Android apps won't benefit BB10 and the Z10.

Browser:
Just like all mobile browsers, not all webpages run perfect. But like IE on WP8, it is certainly good enough to make surfing enjoyable. It does have one thing no other stock mobile browser has, Flash. Some people might be rolling their eyes right now, but for me, Flash is still very important to me. I visit Justin.tv and Amazon Instant Video all the time. With Flash in the browser, I can use both sites extremely well! I know mobile flash was said to be dead, but many websites still lean on it and don't have good apps.

BBM:
I will be completely honest here. I didn't use it once! Not only don't I use any messaging app on any platform (everyone I know uses text messages and emails), but I don't know anyone with a Blackberry. This could change once BBM comes out for iOS and Android. Given that I have never heard a bad word regarding BBM, reliability and the addition of video chat must make this a great tool for personal and business use.

Performance:
The Z10 runs a lot like WP phones, smooth and relatively lag free. Occasionally I would notice lag, but it always came at times that lent me to believe it happens due to BB10 being a brand new baby and not slow hardware. Non-native and sideloaded games like Temple Run 2 took a considerably longer to initially load than other OSes, but ran very well afterwards. Like WP8, quad and octo core processors aren't needed to provide a good experience, though I have never been the one to turn down better specs!

The true multitasking with 2gb of RAMallows for switching between apps easily. It is an enjoyable experience and almost never feels like it bit off more than it can chew (I'm looking at you Android).

Battery Life:
Battery life has been very good for me. It generally lasted me all day, though my use differs greatly day to day. I also almost always (say that 10 times fast) have a charger near me, so battery life can be hard to determine. It does offer solid standby battery life, even with a lot of apps open.

Conclusions:
The Z10 (assuming it has the apps you want and need) offers a fantastic overall experience. With navigation being fundamentally different than any other OS I have used, it still flows just as well, or better, as any of the others. Because of this, unfortunately, BB10 is significantly harder to pick up at the beginning. I expect novices to need help right from the beginning. Blackberry should include a more detailed help tutorial when the phone is first used.

Z10 also is about the perfect size to fit just about anyone. Z10 uses a grippy back and smaller form factor and screen than most phones today to make handling easy.

During these past 3 weeks though, I couldn't help but feel that Blackberry is confused on what audience it is going after: the business users it always catered to in the past or the average smartphone user that makes up most users today. The keyboard is awesome with the tricks, yet most users will never know about them. Sideloading for the advanced user is great for supplementing app shortcomings, but mom and dad aren't going to even begin to attempt it. BB10 phones' cosmetics scream professional and tame (A10 could be different), yet if Blackberry is to stay around, attracting the average Joe with more inspired designs is crucial. While the OS's look is more friendly and inviting than previous Blackberry OSes, I could still see where some individuals would want a more fun, colorful and dynamic feel (something all the other major OSes do better). I could provide more examples, provide some fixes and tell you what direction I see BB going toward in the next couple years, but that can be saved for another long post!

I hope Blackberry keeps advancing the ease of use in their phones. The Z10 has plenty of promise with rough corners being cleaned up. I found it to be a fun experience, very different than BB phones I played with in the past.

Will I give up my Lumia 920 as my daily driver? No. The overall platform is not nearly as mature as even WP8. If I had used this prior to touching a WP phone, I probably would be satisfied with the Z10 and sideloading like crazy! I will continue to pay attention to the scene and make the Z10 my backup phone.

Last edited:

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Great review!

I'm quite interested in a BlackBerry 10 device, but they're over $500 dollars unlocked down here. :(

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Great review!

I'm quite interested in a BlackBerry 10 device, but they're over $500 dollars unlocked down here. :(

As I mentioned, the inability of being able to get it for a good deal early is why I didn't pick it up. BTW, mine wasn't unlocked, just off contract.

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Great review from a WP user's perspective, thank you.
I had the Lumia 920 for a couple of weeks before buying the Z10 and later the Q10, and I would like to add a few comments from my perspective, and why I made the move to BB10. No "review", just some additions to what was said.

Overall, the 920 is a great phone, no doubt. However:

- after a few weeks, I somehow got bored with the OS. I don't know exactly why, because it's beautifully made and everything is smooth and fluid. But I'm still not remotely as bored on my BB10 devices. Maybe because there are more interesting things to "fiddle" with? Who knows. And others might see that differently of course.
- the calendar in WP is absolutely abysmal. Month view is not readable. There is no week view. Day view is OK but not more. Yes there are calendar apps, but as MS still dosen't allow for full access to online calendars through WP APIs, setting them up properly is somtimes cumbersome. The calendards on BB10 are much better IMHO, and syncing with online calendars usually works smoothly.
- no notifcation LED, no notification center on WP. Well, no LED, this is just not part of the WP OS I guess, but once you got used to that on e.g. a Blackberry, it's very hard to give it up again. Looking for new messages or events can sometimes be a challenge on WP. Toasts disappear to quickly. Info icons on the lock screen are limited to 5 (if I remember correctly) and don't allow for jumpig right into the respective app. To be fair, a improved notification center is in the works for WP, but nobody knows exactly how it will look like. BB10 hub still is state of the art in this regard.
- not a very big deal, but I personally like to work on files and folders, if e.g. an image needs to be moved or copied. There are some restrictions to file system access in WP, not so in BB10.

But that's about it. On BB10, I miss certain apps that I had on WP. I liked the skydrive integration which allowed for new images to be copied up to the cloud without me having to initiate it. OneNote Integration is als a fine feature of WP8. Formatting of emails is close to perfect in WP8, everything perfectly well readable, no matter what format. BB10 needs to catch up in this field, which is kind of strange, based upon their history.

Baseline, I think bothe are interesting platforms which give us users an opportunity to be different than the average iOS/Android follower. It's going to be interesting next months & years, to watch these platforms grow and develop.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Great review from a WP user's perspective, thank you.
I had the Lumia 920 for a couple of weeks before buying the Z10 and later the Q10, and I would like to add a few comments from my perspective, and why I made the move to BB10. No "review", just some additions to what was said.

Overall, the 920 is a great phone, no doubt. However:

- after a few weeks, I somehow got bored with the OS. I don't know exactly why, because it's beautifully made and everything is smooth and fluid. But I'm still not remotely as bored on my BB10 devices. Maybe because there are more interesting things to "fiddle" with? Who knows. And others might see that differently of course.
- the calendar in WP is absolutely abysmal. Month view is not readable. There is no week view. Day view is OK but not more. Yes there are calendar apps, but as MS still dosen't allow for full access to online calendars through WP APIs, setting them up properly is somtimes cumbersome. The calendards on BB10 are much better IMHO, and syncing with online calendars usually works smoothly.
- no notifcation LED, no notification center on WP. Well, no LED, this is just not part of the WP OS I guess, but once you got used to that on e.g. a Blackberry, it's very hard to give it up again. Looking for new messages or events can sometimes be a challenge on WP. Toasts disappear to quickly. Info icons on the lock screen are limited to 5 (if I remember correctly) and don't allow for jumpig right into the respective app. To be fair, a improved notification center is in the works for WP, but nobody knows exactly how it will look like. BB10 hub still is state of the art in this regard.
- not a very big deal, but I personally like to work on files and folders, if e.g. an image needs to be moved or copied. There are some restrictions to file system access in WP, not so in BB10.

But that's about it. On BB10, I miss certain apps that I had on WP. I liked the skydrive integration which allowed for new images to be copied up to the cloud without me having to initiate it. OneNote Integration is als a fine feature of WP8. Formatting of emails is close to perfect in WP8, everything perfectly well readable, no matter what format. BB10 needs to catch up in this field, which is kind of strange, based upon their history.

Baseline, I think bothe are interesting platforms which give us users an opportunity to be different than the average iOS/Android follower. It's going to be interesting next months & years, to watch these platforms grow and develop.

I would say that what you described where mostly preferences, and very legit ones. Exactly why they all do things differently!

BB has to be careful. Google, Apple and Microsoft all make huge profits doing others things. They can all afford to spend tons of money when necessary. I don't know if BB has the money to fight equally now, or esp. down the road. We will see though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was fiddling around with the Q10 at the T-Mo store when I was getting my L521. I have always enjoyed RIM's quality hardware (Curves don't count) and of course their keyboards. But I couldn't get around the omission of the BB and back buttons, maybe I'm too old school. Being an unashamed webOS lover I can appreciate the Z10 even with a longer learning curve but the Q10, without the aforementioned buttons, makes no sense. If you're giving up screen real estate for the sake of physical buttons/keys, you gotta go all in and provide basic navigation buttons. A portrait slider like the Dell Venue Pro would make more sense, particularly to old BB die-hards.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was fiddling around with the Q10 at the T-Mo store when I was getting my L521. I have always enjoyed RIM's quality hardware (Curves don't count) and of course their keyboards. But I couldn't get around the omission of the BB and back buttons, maybe I'm too old school. Being an unashamed webOS lover I can appreciate the Z10 even with a longer learning curve but the Q10, without the aforementioned buttons, makes no sense. If you're giving up screen real estate for the sake of physical buttons/keys, you gotta go all in and provide basic navigation buttons. A portrait slider like the Dell Venue Pro would make more sense, particularly to old BB die-hards.

I can't really comment on that as I never liked the older BBs!

diegonei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
mase123987!! You didn't BBM?! Heck man, add me and let's solve this!

But that's the point of BB10. The gestures do away with dedicated Back and Home buttoms. Maybe you are too old school (and I can tell you there are plenty of them in Crackberry! :D), but I'd suggest playing around with the device a bit before making up your mind.

There is only one thing I gotta point out though: Gestures make those buttons unnecessary, but the bottom bezel on the Q10 may be a bit too thin and too close to the keyboard for some (and maybe every) people, making the swip up (to unlock and to get back to the home screen) a bit tricky (you probably will have to start somewhere between the letters y and t on the keyboard. The Q5 does not suffer of such issue and has plenty bezel to make swiping easy).

And if you really need the buttons, 9720!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Q10 running 10.2 in addition to my Lumia 928, while it is an awesome piece of hardware, BB10's gestures don't translate to to it all that well, the screen is just a little too small. Truth be told, id love to see it running Windows Phone and I think that is the only way Blackberry doesn't slide into oblivion. They could become the enterprise version of Nokia, with all their developmental resources going to enhancing their Windows Phone experience. Its kind of sad, actually, as the Q10 even uses the same SOC as the 920

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Q10 running 10.2 in addition to my Lumia 928, while it is an awesome piece of hardware, BB10's gestures don't translate to to it all that well, the screen is just a little too small. Truth be told, id love to see it running Windows Phone and I think that is the only way Blackberry doesn't slide into oblivion. They could become the enterprise version of Nokia, with all their developmental resources going to enhancing their Windows Phone experience. Its kind of sad, actually, as the Q10 even uses the same SOC as the 920

I can't imagine anything like this ever happening....

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine anything like this ever happening....
Never say never, I could see them running out of their cash cushion (but not cash) within the next two years if they decide to go it alone. Think they've spent ~4bn on R&D over the past three years as they have developed BB10, which they absolutely can not sustain. Remember, they can not leverage another operating system's R&D like iOS (OS-X), Android (Linux - actually think Android is being forked back into Linux next year) and Windows Phone. They don't even have a tablet OS to leverage any longer...

Priot to BB10 they were spending much, much less on their R&D. Think of what they could do with that money to enhance BB's running Windows Phone.

mopar_fxr

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Nice to see an unbiased review that isn't completely bashing the bb name. Since the review has been written huge strides have been made also. Side loading is no longer needed in newer oses, the device can do it all within itself now even. Yes, it still is a bit "young" I admit but if more give a chance I think it has a chance. But you do need to play with the BBM ;)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am lucky I saw a reply to this. I haven't looked at this thread in months. Right now my Z10 has one of the older beta versions of the OS. At some point I need to get it back to the official release.

mopar_fxr

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I am lucky I saw a reply to this. I haven't looked at this thread in months. Right now my Z10 has one of the older beta versions of the OS. At some point I need to get it back to the official release.

Haha I am sure. It came up for me while I was looking for BBM on WP. And no, you don't want official release if you are on a carrier, especially American carriers. You want the newer leaked is, it is "official" for a couple carriers but much easier to run an autoloader. If you want a hand il be glad to help. ��

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Haha I am sure. It came up for me while I was looking for BBM on WP. And no, you don't want official release if you are on a carrier, especially American carriers. You want the newer leaked is, it is "official" for a couple carriers but much easier to run an autoloader. If you want a hand il be glad to help. ��

Maybe another time. I really wish BB was on level ground with even WP when it comes to apps. That is what ultimately held me back from using it more. I don't need a million apps, just a few that grab my attention. I do love swiping to wake the phone. Double tap on WP is pretty nice as well.

mopar_fxr

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Maybe another time. I really wish BB was on level ground with even WP when it comes to apps. That is what ultimately held me back from using it more. I don't need a million apps, just a few that grab my attention. I do love swiping to wake the phone. Double tap on WP is pretty nice as well.

That's what it does now, you can download, convert and run any android apk from within bb10 now. Just the carriers are still too slow to push the updates to help the new is along.
But this a whole 'nuther discussion for which I would not want to hijack your thread on �� that's what the sister site is for. ��

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice review I bought one for myself last week and with the 10.2.1 update the z10 is simply amazing . I was a windows phone user for last 3 years and got bored . So till 8.1 and some new nokia hardware comes thought of using the z10 . Loved the phone and was quite surprised that the camera is actually quite good , posting some sample pics here .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.