Interesting little story on Engadget: Samsung has their phones overclock whenever a benchmarking program is detected running so it gets higher scores.

Honestly I hate benchmarks or any type. I hear so much when it comes to desktop video cards and phones, and to me, they don't mean a thing. You could have a great benchmarking PC that runs like crap when gaming hard. Same for phones...

LINK
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:33 PM
    I wonder if it's just Samsung, or if other manufacturers do the same thing. I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything is revealed about other manufacturers.

I'd be surprised if Samsung is alone in doing this.
    07-30-2013 08:41 PM
    I wonder if it's just Samsung, or if other manufacturers do the same thing. I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything is revealed about other manufacturers.

I'd be surprised if Samsung is alone in doing this.
    They probably aren't, but let's face it. No one cares if the little guys are doing it. When is the last time you heard about a bench warmer in baseball taking steroids?
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    07-30-2013 08:43 PM
    07-30-2013 08:45 PM
    They probably aren't, but let's face it. No one cares if the little guys are doing it. When is the last time you heard about a bench warmer in baseball taking steroids?
    What about HTC or Sony? Not big sellers, but big enough names that people know who they are.
    07-30-2013 08:52 PM
    What about HTC or Sony? Not big sellers, but big enough names that people know who they are.
    I get what your saying. I actually think LG is a bigger name for Android than either of those two. That said, Samsung is so far ahead right now that Samsung is synonymous with Android. Stinks because I don't really find their current products that intriguing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:56 PM
    Not surprised to see this from Samsuck.

LG a big name for Android? Interesting. I can't think of any LG phones off the top of my head that run Android, but I can think of a bunch from HTC and Motorola.
    07-30-2013 09:07 PM
    Not surprised to see this from Samsuck.

LG a big name for Android? Interesting. I can't think of any LG phones off the top of my head that run Android, but I can think of a bunch from HTC and Motorola.
    LG's Low-end Optimus series used to own prepaid. They don't advertise as much in the US as the others. If they did, I think the G Pro would dominate the phablet market with its great specs and performance mixed with a great price. I know almost no one that has a Motorola anymore. HTC seems pretty up and down now-a-days.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2013 09:14 PM
    I get what your saying. I actually think LG is a bigger name for Android than either of those two. That said, Samsung is so far ahead right now that Samsung is synonymous with Android. Stinks because I don't really find their current products that intriguing.
    One of my friends just got the Sony Xperia. It might actually sell, since it's a niche product; it's waterproof.
    07-30-2013 09:49 PM
    LG's Low-end Optimus series used to own prepaid. They don't advertise as much in the US as the others. If they did, I think the G Pro would dominate the phablet market with its great specs and performance mixed with a great price. I know almost no one that has a Motorola anymore. HTC seems pretty up and down now-a-days.
    Ah. I know a few people with Motorolas running Android, but most have HTCs.
    07-31-2013 11:45 PM
    They likely all do it on the Android side. Specs are not as much of a priority on the other mobile OS's. Sammy however has time and again shown themselves to be a very unethical company when it comes to their competitors. I certainly cannot see myself buying anything with their name on it going forward. Thats too bad. They do make good TV's.
    08-01-2013 11:01 AM
    I'm not sure how to think about it.

On one hand, the S4 being a phone with limited power and heat-dissipation abilities, running full speed all the time isn't optimal and benchmarking is only showing how well (or bad) the raw hardware CAN perform at its peak.

On the other, it's to make the phone look better compared to others in terms of numbers.
    08-01-2013 07:22 PM
    It's shady any way you look at it, but at the same time any benchmark is just what the hardware CAN do, not what it actually does on a normal workload. Nobody cares though outside the tech bubble.
    08-01-2013 07:35 PM
    One of my friends just got the Sony Xperia. It might actually sell, since it's a niche product; it's waterproof.
    Nothing is water proof. Just water resistant to different degrees.
    08-01-2013 10:28 PM
    TheVerge.com is now reporting that Samsung is doing some quality astro-turfing. Regular folk may not care about these things, but often times the people who suggest phones to those folks do.

LINK
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2013 11:05 PM
    TheVerge.com is now reporting that Samsung is doing some quality astro-turfing. Regular folk may not care about these things, but often times the people who suggest phones to those folks do.

LINK
    I love how that one guy in the comments tried to drag MS into the whole thing but everyone pretty much called him out for being an *****.
    08-02-2013 12:04 AM
    Ah. I know a few people with Motorolas running Android, but most have HTCs.
    At least in the US, Motorola is almost exclusively for Verizon. The Sprint and AT&T devices are old, and they don't have anything at all for T-Mobile.
    08-02-2013 12:14 AM
    At least in the US, Motorola is almost exclusively for Verizon. The Sprint and AT&T devices are old, and they don't have anything at all for T-Mobile.
    Ah. Wait doesn't Google own them now?
    08-02-2013 09:51 PM
    Ah. Wait doesn't Google own them now?
    They do, and I see their latest device is going to be available on all carriers. Google has owned them for a while, and only VZW got the latest and greatest. Prior to this new X, the Atrix 2 is the last high-end device AT&T got.
    NTUser likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:02 PM
    They do, and I see their latest device is going to be available on all carriers. Google has owned them for a while, and only VZW got the latest and greatest. Prior to this new X, the Atrix 2 is the last high-end device AT&T got.
    Google didn't like what the division had in the pipeline. Google has been trying to get that stuff out, so they can begin really starting a new.
    08-03-2013 10:16 PM
    I far prefer measuring smartphone performance over spec sheet based guessing (which almost everyone gets wrong), but tech sites would be better off using either their own proprietary benchmarking apps, or better yet, they should use an occasionally updated set of real applications as a basis for comparisons. That would instantly put an end to such shenanigans.

As usual, over at anandtech they actually explain what is going on rather than just report on it:

AnandTech | Update on GPU Optimizations in Galaxy S 4

I'm not sure how to think about it.

... on the other, it's to make the phone look better compared to others in terms of numbers.
    Why would this confuse you? Any company attempting to trick consumers into thinking something is better than it actually is should be strongly condemned, and publicly shamed! Samsung definitely deserves a few slaps for such behaviour. There are no two sides to this story. It's simply unethical.
    08-06-2013 03:28 PM
    Interesting little story on Engadget: Samsung has their phones overclock whenever a benchmarking program is detected running so it gets higher scores.

Honestly I hate benchmarks or any type. I hear so much when it comes to desktop video cards and phones, and to me, they don't mean a thing. You could have a great benchmarking PC that runs like crap when gaming hard. Same for phones...

LINK

It depends entirely on the benchmark you run, some benchmarks specialize in text editing or phrasing text, others specialize in frame rates with animations...these are the correct ones to use for measuring a gaming benchmark.

Also processors change their clock rate to save battery when little performance is need and increase their clock rate when major performance is needed.
    Last edited by stalemate1; 11-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    11-03-2013 01:33 PM