A drop in Galaxy S4 sales causes Samsung to plan a strategic conference with investors

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Most people I know with a GS3 didn't bother to upgrade to a GS4 because they felt it wasn't a worthy upgrade. I doubt people with a Note 2 will similarly jump aboard with the Note 3.

Samsung's innovation usually means slapping on a bigger screen and more memory. Their phones have gone stale.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's to be expected, the new iPhones are due to be announced in a week and people are obviously waiting for that.

Are they? That might be the case in US, but Android has been growing, iOS has been losing market share for quite a long time.

I think in general we are starting to see smartphones becoming general goods, like feature phones already are. If nobody brings something totally new and find their blue ocean like Apple did back in 2007, it might not be long before there isn't many who pays for these 500-600 euros flagships. It's just a sea of smartphones with similar feature sets, no matter the brand.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess I see something different from what you guys see. The numbers of S3's sold worldwide was staggering. The Galaxy line of smartphones is what put Samsung at the top of the heap. Now the face of the company, S4, is not being accepted like the previous models were. I don't think the intro of the new Notes will be near enough to offset the loss of S4 sales. I truly think that there is concern at Samsung about how to keep their market share.

As for direct mention of Windows Phones in the article; not directly but certainly it was implied since BB is basically gone and WP8 phones are growing slowly but surely. I think MS/Nokia has them worried.

Any thoughts along these lines from any of you. I would be interested in seeing the thought process you folks have.

Last edited:

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Only few companies can do that. For that, you need a great leader like Steve Jobs. IPhone 4 was a great revolution by Apple while Galaxy S2 was the turning point for Samsung. The rest of the devices in the respective lines are merely hardware upgrades with a few software gimmicks added.

Unless the companies focus on doing things different, we are not going to see any change in this trend.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is a pretty nice phone.

But I think that consumers are now waiting for the next big feature before upgrading.

Having a phone that is almost the same, but just a little faster, isn't going to cut it anymore.

People will upgrade foe something new and different. Give them something they don't already have, not the same but 10% faster.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, how many times can you reintroduce a similar product (S3, S4, Iphone 4, 4S, 5.....) and expect to sell it for the same price (or more)?

HTC changed design and everything and so did Nokia but people are buying them ?

HTC profits dropped by 80% compared to last year and Nokia has been reporting losses every quarter.
http://bgr.com/2013/07/30/htc-earnings-q2-2013/

HTC's designers are leaving company as well but got caught :
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/31/4...tedly-in-custody-after-stealing-trade-secrets

Sony sold off headquarters :
http://www.techhive.com/article/203...r-selling-us-headquarters-stock-holdings.html

4S broke all records when it was launched , right ? 3GS did too.
S3 was best selling phone and also Note 2 which had similar design.Samsung is selling millions of phones with same design of S3/S4 even now and still in number one position.

Smartphone market is saturated.That's the only possible answer I can find.

High end phones are coming but they are not appealing people because their previous phones are more than good enough.(like 720p vs 1080p or screen size etc.)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Only few companies can do that. For that, you need a great leader like Steve Jobs. IPhone 4 was a great revolution by Apple while Galaxy S2 was the turning point for Samsung. The rest of the devices in the respective lines are merely hardware upgrades with a few software gimmicks added.

Unless the companies focus on doing things different, we are not going to see any change in this trend.

I personally think that iPhone 4 is the worst phone of all iPhones.

Same GPU as 3GS , A4 chip is basically same as hummung bird processor without radio module and It has serious design flaw which made calls to drop and reception issues.
Camera photos are way too saturated.
iOS 4 had no notification center.

I think 4S is the best iPhone of all time.It has resolved all bad things of iPhone 4.It has improved performance over iPhone 4 by leaps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs