10-30-2013 06:04 PM
36 12
tools
    Interesting.. Not surprising for Android.

Off topic - it bugs me people use Wikipedia as their primary source. Lol, SMH.
    PB_H likes this.
    10-29-2013 07:07 PM
    Off topic - it bugs me people use Wikipedia as their primary source. Lol, SMH.
    Wikipedia is a great initial source and more than sufficient for an internet forum. Of course when you publish something you shouldn't even mention Wikipedia and if it is important you have to look up further sources.

As an initial exercise in checking further sources, I'd recommend you start with this article here:

Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    berty6294 and Bartdog like this.
    10-30-2013 05:22 AM
    On Topic- Think this news is old news

Off Topic - I don't see any racism here. Just people shouting racism when humour is used to cite a difference between cultures. No different when people mock "muricans" for being fat and lazy mcdonalds eating dolts. It is not racist to identify differences in culture or nationality. It IS racist to infringe on human rights of another person because of their heritage or culture. It is not racist to point out accents. It is racist to prevent someone from eating because they have an accent. It is not racist to not hire a non polish speaking person at a polish telemarketing company. It is racist to deny access to public transportation because someone is from South America. There are times when humour is appropriate and not appropriate. You can always tell the heart of someone who is poking fun light heartedly or because they are insecure.
    I would also agree that preventing people from identifying these differences for some made up reason and claiming "racism" is really misinformed and going to be detrimental to society in the long run. For it's these differences that make each of us incredibly distinguished. Amen for that!!! Same for sexism.
    10-30-2013 10:18 AM
    Your little "joke" is racist -not funny.
    you should delete it.
    chill out.

When South Park pokes fun at "City Wok" it is funny....when anyone else cracks wise it is "racist"

....just stop.
    berty6294 likes this.
    10-30-2013 10:43 AM
    chill out.

When South Park pokes fun at "City Wok" it is funny....when anyone else cracks wise it is "racist"

....just stop.
    We rarely agree but you're spot-on with this. Even though I'm Cuban I've had to put up with "beaner" jokes all my life. Let me tell you, some are downright hilarious. There are times when ethnic or racist comments are funny and times when they're spewed with malice like that dumba$$ Philly wide receiver did. Context is the determining factor.
    10-30-2013 10:56 AM
    Wikipedia is a great initial source and more than sufficient for an internet forum. Of course when you publish something you shouldn't even mention Wikipedia and if it is important you have to look up further sources.

As an initial exercise in checking further sources, I'd recommend you start with this article here:

Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The problem is that Wikipedia is written by the community and not all articles have any or sufficient sources. This is the reason Universities and Colleges say that you should never use Wikipedia as a source of information.
    10-30-2013 12:32 PM
    The problem is that Wikipedia is written by the community and not all articles have any or sufficient sources. This is the reason Universities and Colleges say that you should never use Wikipedia as a source of information.
    For any formal research paper, essay, speech, or anything else where you're actually trying to perform actual research, then obviously, avoid Wikipedia at all costs. However for general inquires regarding your own personal fascination for a topic, Wikipedia is typically "good enough," and you can always explore further, should you deem it necessary.

For anything important or meaningful, yes, I agree with the assessment that Wikipedia ought to be avoided. But again, if you're just say, trying to check the biography of an actor you like, or casually exploring the chemical properties of an element, or want some details on a battle is some-odd war, then Wikipedia is generally reliable enough for such things.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-30-2013 03:12 PM
    For any formal research paper, essay, speech, or anything else where you're actually trying to perform actual research, then obviously, avoid Wikipedia at all costs. However for general inquires regarding your own personal fascination for a topic, Wikipedia is typically "good enough," and you can always explore further, should you deem it necessary.

For anything important or meaningful, yes, I agree with the assessment that Wikipedia ought to be avoided. But again, if you're just say, trying to check the biography of an actor you like, or casually exploring the chemical properties of an element, or want some details on a battle is some-odd war, then Wikipedia is generally reliable enough for such things.
    You kids are so spoiled today. How many of you out there remember having to dig through microfiche to look up old newspaper articles and stuff like that? How about making ditto sheets and getting high on the fumes?
    10-30-2013 03:20 PM
    This thread has been hijacked why hasn't a mod closed it ?
    Android Updates has now become "Wikigate"...
    10-30-2013 04:14 PM
    You kids are so spoiled today. How many of you out there remember having to dig through microfiche to look up old newspaper articles and stuff like that? How about making ditto sheets and getting high on the fumes?
    Tell me about it, when I was young I had to wipe my bottom with pebbles as there were no leaves around in winter.
    10-30-2013 05:13 PM
    Tell me about it, when I was young I had to wipe my bottom with pebbles as there were no leaves around in winter.
    TMI alert!
    10-30-2013 06:04 PM
36 12