Trojan "Android Updates" has infected nearly 500,000 mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you should post a video in blackface and explain again why your racist quip isn't racist,
- it's always the racist who needs to explain why they're just being misunderstood.
If it sound like a duck....
Good luck.

You would have a great time laughing at me for miss pronouncing, poorly executing, and generally failing at attempting to speak any language other than English. You might even have a great time just laughing and my current English accent, or very shallow realm of knowledge.

But it wouldn't make you a racist, and I wouldn't call you one for doing so.

My German friends laugh me. Just like the French, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, and Yankee cousins. It's OK to laugh.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Glad we don't have to worry about that here in the Windows camp. Our updates either come directly from Microsoft, or if you see an update notification, you're so shocked AT&T actually approved one that you find yourself running to the Internet to make sure it's legit before anything else. :p

But in all seriousness: woza, 500,000 devices? Damn... How did it disguise itself, anyway? How was this able to trick the OS into thinking it was a legit update, or was a fake update produced by a shady piece of software the victims installed on their devices?

two words, open source.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I always thought the purpose of Trojans was to protect against infection, not cause them. Geez, what are they using in China?

That's actually a misunderstanding by you :)

The term "Trojan" originated from the Trojan Horse. These malicious exploits disguise themselves as other things in order to enter your system and cause damage, exactly like the Trojan Horse was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Hope this helps! :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's actually a misunderstanding by you :)

The term "Trojan" originated from the Trojan Horse. These malicious exploits disguise themselves as other things in order to enter your system and cause damage, exactly like the Trojan Horse was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Hope this helps! :)

You did NOT just post that. If you misunderstood the meaning of my post you need serious help from the fairer sex. Lots of help.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Off topic - it bugs me people use Wikipedia as their primary source. Lol, SMH.

Wikipedia is a great initial source and more than sufficient for an internet forum. Of course when you publish something you shouldn't even mention Wikipedia and if it is important you have to look up further sources.

As an initial exercise in checking further sources, I'd recommend you start with this article here:

Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
On Topic- Think this news is old news

Off Topic - I don't see any racism here. Just people shouting racism when humour is used to cite a difference between cultures. No different when people mock "muricans" for being fat and lazy mcdonalds eating dolts. It is not racist to identify differences in culture or nationality. It IS racist to infringe on human rights of another person because of their heritage or culture. It is not racist to point out accents. It is racist to prevent someone from eating because they have an accent. It is not racist to not hire a non polish speaking person at a polish telemarketing company. It is racist to deny access to public transportation because someone is from South America. There are times when humour is appropriate and not appropriate. You can always tell the heart of someone who is poking fun light heartedly or because they are insecure.
I would also agree that preventing people from identifying these differences for some made up reason and claiming "racism" is really misinformed and going to be detrimental to society in the long run. For it's these differences that make each of us incredibly distinguished. Amen for that!!! Same for sexism.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
chill out.

When South Park pokes fun at "City Wok" it is funny....when anyone else cracks wise it is "racist"

....just stop.

We rarely agree but you're spot-on with this. Even though I'm Cuban I've had to put up with "beaner" jokes all my life. Let me tell you, some are downright hilarious. There are times when ethnic or racist comments are funny and times when they're spewed with malice like that dumba$$ Philly wide receiver did. Context is the determining factor.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Wikipedia is a great initial source and more than sufficient for an internet forum. Of course when you publish something you shouldn't even mention Wikipedia and if it is important you have to look up further sources.

As an initial exercise in checking further sources, I'd recommend you start with this article here:

Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is that Wikipedia is written by the community and not all articles have any or sufficient sources. This is the reason Universities and Colleges say that you should never use Wikipedia as a source of information.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that Wikipedia is written by the community and not all articles have any or sufficient sources. This is the reason Universities and Colleges say that you should never use Wikipedia as a source of information.

For any formal research paper, essay, speech, or anything else where you're actually trying to perform actual research, then obviously, avoid Wikipedia at all costs. However for general inquires regarding your own personal fascination for a topic, Wikipedia is typically "good enough," and you can always explore further, should you deem it necessary.

For anything important or meaningful, yes, I agree with the assessment that Wikipedia ought to be avoided. But again, if you're just say, trying to check the biography of an actor you like, or casually exploring the chemical properties of an element, or want some details on a battle is some-odd war, then Wikipedia is generally reliable enough for such things.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For any formal research paper, essay, speech, or anything else where you're actually trying to perform actual research, then obviously, avoid Wikipedia at all costs. However for general inquires regarding your own personal fascination for a topic, Wikipedia is typically "good enough," and you can always explore further, should you deem it necessary.

For anything important or meaningful, yes, I agree with the assessment that Wikipedia ought to be avoided. But again, if you're just say, trying to check the biography of an actor you like, or casually exploring the chemical properties of an element, or want some details on a battle is some-odd war, then Wikipedia is generally reliable enough for such things.

You kids are so spoiled today. How many of you out there remember having to dig through microfiche to look up old newspaper articles and stuff like that? How about making ditto sheets and getting high on the fumes?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You kids are so spoiled today. How many of you out there remember having to dig through microfiche to look up old newspaper articles and stuff like that? How about making ditto sheets and getting high on the fumes?

Tell me about it, when I was young I had to wipe my bottom with pebbles as there were no leaves around in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion