10-30-2013 06:04 PM
36 12
tools
    Update: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/
    2013-10-28 07:31:06

Mobile Trojan "Android Updates" disguised as system updates, tips induce the user to install, and then steal the user call log, contacts, phone firmware information, and in the background secretly downloaded dozens of malicious applications consume hundreds of megabytes user traffic to the user with to direct property loss.

Xinhua Tianjin, October 27 (Reporter Zhou Runjian) With the rapid proliferation of Android smartphones, mobile Trojans and malicious adware are also increasingly breed. 360 mobile guards monitoring found a camouflage "Android updated" Trojan becomes the current mobile phone "Blow", has infected nearly 500,000 Android phones.

According to the mobile security expert Zhang Xu introduced, mobile Trojans "Android Updates" disguised as system updates, tips induce the user to install, and then steal the user call log, contacts, phone firmware information, and in the background secretly downloaded dozens of malicious applications, user-consuming hundreds of megabytes of traffic, giving users direct property loss.

"Because many mobile phone users find after the loss to the security vendor calls for help, download security software killing Trojans, Trojan large number of infections caused the nearly 500,000 mobile phones." Zhang Xu said.

It is understood that Trojan disguised as through normal application of the system software or tampered with to achieve the purpose of inducing the user to install, including the "Android updates", including a lot of Trojans, they focused on the behavior of the major hazards to "steal calls" and "steal Privacy" two point.

Zhang Xu said that the current Android Trojan lower technical threshold, the rapid expansion of the number of new mobile Trojans, users should pay special attention to prevention, through regular and reliable way to download the application, rather than random search or downloaded from the Forum unfamiliar users to share applications.

For smart phone users, equally worthy of attention is the cottage or something brush preset channel applications. According to the 360 ​​mobile guards for 1500 sampling and analysis of the balance presets applied statistics, an average of 80% of the pre-application for permission to excessive behavior, that these applications applied to the mobile operating system with its own functions to achieve unrelated system privileges. These "ultra vires" behavior on the user's privacy posing a great threat.

Feng Ting

This article Source: Xinhua http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/
    10-28-2013 05:54 PM
    Glad we don't have to worry about that here in the Windows camp. Our updates either come directly from Microsoft, or if you see an update notification, you're so shocked AT&T actually approved one that you find yourself running to the Internet to make sure it's legit before anything else. :P

But in all seriousness: woza, 500,000 devices? Damn... How did it disguise itself, anyway? How was this able to trick the OS into thinking it was a legit update, or was a fake update produced by a shady piece of software the victims installed on their devices?
    10-28-2013 07:28 PM
    Bad link. Maybe article is taken down.
    10-28-2013 09:32 PM
    Maybe it's the link to the trojan....
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-29-2013 01:27 AM
    Update:.

Zhang Xu said that the current Android Trojan lower technical threshold, the rapid expansion of the number of new mobile Trojans, users should pay special attention to prevention, through regular and reliable way to download the application, rather than random search or downloaded from the Forum unfamiliar users to share applications.

For smart phone users, equally worthy of attention is the cottage or something brush preset channel applications. According to the 360 ​​mobile guards for 1500 sampling and analysis of the balance presets applied statistics, an average of 80% of the pre-application for permission to excessive behavior, that these applications applied to the mobile operating system with its own functions to achieve unrelated system privileges. These "ultra vires" behavior on the user's privacy posing a great threat.

Feng Ting

This article Source: Xinhua http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/

Engrish-security, that's where I get all my security news.

...Or something....
    WPmunkey likes this.
    10-29-2013 01:50 AM
    Are you sure it's not this old one from August 2012? Android 'SMSZombie' Trojan infects 500,000 Chinese users

That article (and several similar ones from the same time period) was the most recent information I could find doing both a Bing search and a Google search.
    10-29-2013 02:12 AM
    En___ish-security, that's where I get all my security news.

...Or something....
    Your little "joke" is racist -not funny.
    you should delete it.
    Last edited by PB_H; 10-29-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    WPmunkey likes this.
    10-29-2013 03:00 AM
    Are you sure it's not this old one from August 2012? Android 'SMSZombie' Trojan infects 500,000 Chinese users

That article (and several similar ones from the same time period) was the most recent information I could find doing both a Bing search and a Google search.
    It was dated (-now yesterday-) @ 2013-10-28 07:31:06 - Xinhua, China time. Old news ? I just copied and pasted it,
    It was from a Chinese blog which I found looking for some electronics.
    Source was
    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/
    Xinhua ? China, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Photos and Video | English.news.cn
    10-29-2013 03:10 AM
    Your little "joke" is racist -not funny.
    you should delete it.

From Webster's:
    racism
    Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1933
    1 : a belief that is the primary of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial or discrimination
    — racist \-sist also -shist\

From wiki:

Engrish (イングリッシュ Ingurisshu?) is a slang term for the misuse of the English language by native speakers of some East Asian languages.[1] The term itself relates to Japanese speakers' tendency to inadvertently substitute the English phonemes "R" and "L" for one another, because the Japanese language has one alveolar consonant in place for both. The related term "wasei-eigo" refers to pseudo-anglicisms that have entered into everyday Japanese.

While the term may refer to spoken English, it is more often used to describe written English. Engrish can be found in many places, including signs, menus, and advertisements. Terms such as Japanglish, Japlish or Janglish for Japan, Konglish for Korea, and Chinglish for China are more specific terms for Engrish.

No, it was neither racist, nor racism, nor intended as such.

Using a racist/racism claim to oppress other people is weak , and dilutes the real crimes of racism through desensitizing society to over used knee jerk, reactionary confusion.

Because societies exist and differ, people continue to be interesting and have value. Restricting those differences, or the observation of those differences only promotes the popular class, and degrade the lesser, lower numbered, or poorer classes or groups. That is closer to racism than pointing out funny differences in spelling.

If there was malice intended, an apology would be due. Since there was not, I'll wait for your apology from a lack of understanding and ignorance to the actual definitions of common words.
    Last edited by ohgood; 10-29-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    10-29-2013 07:42 AM
    Well explained, though I'm not sure why you had to. To help avoid confusion if any still exists:

Language <> race
    Culture <> race
    Religion <> race
    Nationality <> race
    Politics <> race
    Clothing <> race
    Immigration status <> race

Bigotry can and does exist independently to racism. There are ace-holes of every shade out there.

Just mentioning because I see such things confused on forums (including these forums) regularly which can lead to an amount of unnecessary miscommunication.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-29-2013 07:58 AM
    Error - deleted
    10-29-2013 08:01 AM
    I always thought the purpose of Trojans was to protect against infection, not cause them. Geez, what are they using in China?
    xandros9, FinancialP and erichunt like this.
    10-29-2013 12:49 PM
    I always thought the purpose of Trojans was to protect against infection, not cause them. Geez, what are they using in China?
    Well the original Trojan was something harmful that disguised itself as something harmless in order to get it and FSU!
    10-29-2013 01:07 PM
    From Webster's:
    racism
    Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1933
    1 : a belief that is the primary of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial or discrimination
    — racist \-sist also -shist\

From wiki:

Engrish (イングリッシュ Ingurisshu?) is a slang term for the misuse of the English language by native speakers of some East Asian languages.[1] The term itself relates to Japanese speakers' tendency to inadvertently substitute the English phonemes "R" and "L" for one another, because the Japanese language has one alveolar consonant in place for both. The related term "wasei-eigo" refers to pseudo-anglicisms that have entered into everyday Japanese.

While the term may refer to spoken English, it is more often used to describe written English. Engrish can be found in many places, including signs, menus, and advertisements. Terms such as Japanglish, Japlish or Janglish for Japan, Konglish for Korea, and Chinglish for China are more specific terms for Engrish.

No, it was neither racist, nor racism, nor intended as such.

Using a racist/racism claim to oppress other people is weak , and dilutes the real crimes of racism through desensitizing society to over used knee jerk, reactionary confusion.

Because societies exist and differ, people continue to be interesting and have value. Restricting those differences, or the observation of those differences only promotes the popular class, and degrade the lesser, lower numbered, or poorer classes or groups. That is closer to racism than pointing out funny differences in spelling.

If there was malice intended, an apology would be due. Since there was not, I'll wait for your apology from a lack of understanding and ignorance to the actual definitions of common words.
    Perhaps you should post a video in blackface and explain again why your racist quip isn't racist,
    - it's always the racist who needs to explain why they're just being misunderstood.
    If it sound like a duck....
    Good luck.
    10-29-2013 01:28 PM
    First, about the Android Trojan.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! So glad us WP people don't have to worry.

And, to make at least one head explode:

Engrish Funny - Funny Engrish pictures from around the world. - engrish funny - Cheezburger
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-29-2013 01:44 PM
    Any word whether the original news article was indeed about the same trojan as last year, or is it something new?
    10-29-2013 02:57 PM
    First, about the Android Trojan.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! So glad us WP people don't have to worry.

And, to make at least one head explode:

Engrish Funny - Funny Engrish pictures from around the world. - engrish funny - Cheezburger
    That there's funny I don't care who you are.
    10-29-2013 03:23 PM
    probably some knockoff I bet :O
    10-29-2013 03:32 PM
    Am I the only one who had to look up what Engrish meant?
    10-29-2013 03:44 PM
    Perhaps you should post a video in blackface and explain again why your racist quip isn't racist,
    - it's always the racist who needs to explain why they're just being misunderstood.
    Good luck.
    You must be a blast at parties. Lighten up.
    10-29-2013 03:52 PM
    Good luck.
    You would have a great time laughing at me for miss pronouncing, poorly executing, and generally failing at attempting to speak any language other than English. You might even have a great time just laughing and my current English accent, or very shallow realm of knowledge.

But it wouldn't make you a racist, and I wouldn't call you one for doing so.

My German friends laugh me. Just like the French, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, and Yankee cousins. It's OK to laugh.
    10-29-2013 04:21 PM
    I must say you guys are funny. This thread sums up the internet these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-29-2013 04:30 PM
    Glad we don't have to worry about that here in the Windows camp. Our updates either come directly from Microsoft, or if you see an update notification, you're so shocked AT&T actually approved one that you find yourself running to the Internet to make sure it's legit before anything else. :P

But in all seriousness: woza, 500,000 devices? Damn... How did it disguise itself, anyway? How was this able to trick the OS into thinking it was a legit update, or was a fake update produced by a shady piece of software the victims installed on their devices?
    two words, open source.
    10-29-2013 05:14 PM
    That's actually a misunderstanding by you :)

The term "Trojan" originated from the Trojan Horse. These malicious exploits disguise themselves as other things in order to enter your system and cause damage, exactly like the Trojan Horse was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Hope this helps! :)
    10-29-2013 06:23 PM
    That's actually a misunderstanding by you :)

The term "Trojan" originated from the Trojan Horse. These malicious exploits disguise themselves as other things in order to enter your system and cause damage, exactly like the Trojan Horse was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Hope this helps! :)
    You did NOT just post that. If you misunderstood the meaning of my post you need serious help from the fairer sex. Lots of help.
    o0Nighthawk0o and Bartdog like this.
    10-29-2013 06:55 PM
36 12