Anyone genuinely missing BlackBerry?

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Its my confession of the day. I switched to Windows Phone fairly recently because with all of the sale of the company talk and being a natural pessimist, I bit the bullet and made myself choose another platform, and I have plenty of my own reasons for not going with Google Inc or Apple.

In my time with Windows Phone I've grown fond of it and am comfortable relying on it now (except for the virtual keyboard part, as not having a real qwerty has cut down my typing speed big time.) At any rate, I've got a long stretch of personal history with BlackBerry and if I could "go back" to that moment when I signed a new contract, knowing what I do now, I believe I would've gotten a Q10, whether the company really is doomed or not. I maintain that WP is sexy, a pleasure to use, and I would choose it hands down over Android or iOS, but as far as BB, the short of it; I miss them so d*mn bad and can't afford to do a d*mn thing about it.
/end sappy little ****** session

Anyone else around the WP world here in the same boat?

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i just want bbm for my lumia 920, hated blackberry, the app store is worst than windows phone, no really games could be played, it was a os mainly based around bbm imo

Jerry A

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Its my confession of the day. I switched to Windows Phone fairly recently because with all of the sale of the company talk and being a natural pessimist, I bit the bullet and made myself choose another platform, and I have plenty of my own reasons for not going with Google Inc or Apple.

In my time with Windows Phone I've grown fond of it and am comfortable relying on it now (except for the virtual keyboard part, as not having a real qwerty has cut down my typing speed big time.) At any rate, I've got a long stretch of personal history with BlackBerry and if I could "go back" to that moment when I signed a new contract, knowing what I do now, I believe I would've gotten a Q10, whether the company really is doomed or not. I maintain that WP is sexy, a pleasure to use, and I would choose it hands down over Android or iOS, but as far as BB, the short of it; I miss them so d*mn bad and can't afford to do a d*mn thing about it.
/end sappy little ****** session

Anyone else around the WP world here in the same boat?

The only thing I miss from BB10 is working notifications. If Microsoft can get this sorted out (especially with Facebook and LinkedIn apps) then I'll be happy.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I miss from BB10 is working notifications. If Microsoft can get this sorted out (especially with Facebook and LinkedIn apps) then I'll be happy.

Switching from Windows phone to Android. I can't believe how bad notifications are on Windows Phone. I actually get them on time. LOL.

I actually type faster on a virtual keyboard than physical one. I was pretty Damn fast before. You just need to trust the auto-correct. Windows Phone auto-correct is much better than android and iOS.

another thing I will never miss about blackberry is the status light. The status light is like Crack. (hence the Crackberry name)

BlackBerry I miss because it was the first device that had great working email and delivered on time.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Ask / answer this question.

Why did you leave BB in the first place? What has changed since then?

I was long overdue for an upgrade. The company announcing it was selling itself, I suppose, convinced me that that was the end of the line, that the company and everything from it was going to the grave. I didn't really want to accept it but, what now? I still don't know if there is any future for them or not...will they continue to exist as a niche company and still produce some devices anyway, or will they be butchered in pieces for patents and technologies? From my perspective, it isn't looking good. Still, doesn't stop me from missing them. Just alot of personal history behind BlackBerry for me, that's all. I managed nearly every aspect of my adult life with them (like my budget, my finances, and alot more), even as a wannabe writer published a book that I wrote entirely with a Bold 9650. Suffice it to say, there's an emotional attachment there.
What changed on my end is only giving in to the expectation of certain platform death from the sell off, and with that, I at least like Microsoft.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Not really. The best part about it is that the BB fans seems to have been humbled after all the trash talk they would do about other mobile platforms (the whole 'tools not toys' thing, and how anyone who didn't use a BB device was someone that uploaded selfies all day). If you live in Canada you probably know what I'm talking about.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Not really. The best part about it is that the BB fans seems to have been humbled after all the trash talk they would do about other mobile platforms (the whole 'tools not toys' thing, and how anyone who didn't use a BB device was someone that uploaded selfies all day). If you live in Canada you probably know what I'm talking about.

I dont live in Canada but I definitely saw enough of that attitude running rampantly on CrackBerry. I hate "platform wars." BlackBerry, let alone anything else, can only truthfully be deemed superior for one individual's usages only. Would one platform having more apps than another matter to someone who couldn't give a sh*t about bunches of apps, or phone specs to someone who has other priorities? Of course not. I'm with you, I'm not a fan of the "mine is better than yours" attitude. Its possible to demonstrate alot of love for something without bashing someone or something else. Like one person could possibly have any idea what's good for someone else.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say I miss them, I'm really liking the WP and surface2, but I'll open a drawer and my 9800 will be in it. Man I loved that phone. I still have 2 playbooks that get used. BB in my opinion was just extremely mismanaged. It seemed that they were not interested in competing. Which is possible if you want to take a company private you drive the stock down. After the announced the z10, which is a cool phone, and then stated it wouldn't be out in the states for 21/2 months I picked up a 920 for me and my wife the next day. Glad I did! I hope they get focused they have a potentially good product.

Elite1

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
i just want bbm for my lumia 920, hated blackberry, the app store is worst than windows phone, no really games could be played, it was a os mainly based around bbm imo

You're referring to the legacy BBOS, and you're not wrong. It was a restricted Java-based OS that was outdated for years, with patch after patch put onto it.
BBOS with its freezing, lack of big apps & games, and battery pulls is what drove many away from BB.

The current BB10 platform is an entirely different animal, built from the ground up. It can run with the big boys.
It has many of the huge games out there: a dozen from EA (Real Racing 3, NBA Jam, Plants vs Zombies... but not #2 yet, etc), maybe 15 or so from Gameloft (Despicable Me: Minion Rush, Iron Man 3, Dark Knight, Amazing Spider-Man, etc), Unity games, Angry Birds collection, and the list goes on and on.

Is BB10 better than WP8? Not saying that. I also hate the whole Smartphone Wars theme.
Decide on your own, but decide with the current facts. I'm just clearing up the misinformation.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You're referring to the legacy BBOS, and you're not wrong. It was a restricted Java-based OS that was outdated for years, with patch after patch put onto it.
BBOS with its freezing, lack of big apps & games, and battery pulls is what drove many away from BB.

The current BB10 platform is an entirely different animal, built from the ground up. It can run with the big boys.
It has many of the huge games out there: a dozen from EA (Real Racing 3, NBA Jam, Plants vs Zombies... but not #2 yet, etc), maybe 15 or so from Gameloft (Despicable Me: Minion Rush, Iron Man 3, Dark Knight, Amazing Spider-Man, etc), Unity games, Angry Birds collection, and the list goes on and on.

Is BB10 better than WP8? Not saying that. I also hate the whole Smartphone Wars theme.
Decide on your own, but decide with the current facts. I'm just clearing up the misinformation.

Oh ya qnx is a solid operating system. I had some games on my playbook that were solid. The games on the legacy devices not so much. reminded me of Atari 2600. The new os is very smooth and powerful they just need to do something with it. I wouldn't say its better than WP either, but not a pos that its made out as.

MelCali82

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just got a z10... had the lumia 810 then the 521... was going to get the 925 but since camera quality is not a issue for me and wp8 being pretty smooth you pretty much get the same experience across all windows phone devices. I decided to give bb10 a try. really different from the older stuff.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
After 4 months, I wasn't missing anything at all. Then I had to use my wife's Bold 9900 for an hour -the keyboard! Bliss! Then Universal search.
If the Q10 was the same price as the Z10, I'd be back tomorrow, but sticking with my 520 for now.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I miss the universal search

I've never used BB10 (last Blackberry I had was a Curve), but YES!!! Why is there no universal search in WP8!!!! We have it in Windows 8.1 and I absolutely love Spotlight search on all of my iOS devices. Wish WP8's search button had one more section to swipe to that displayed local content on the phone pertaining to the search query (emails, texts, apps, etc).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who rags on OS10 has never used it. It is lightning fast and fluid. If you've had a PlayBook then you're ahead of the class on learning the gestures. Best implementation of swipes since webOS. The web browser alone is worth the price of admission.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, BlackBerry is the major OS I have yet to use. I'm considering picking up an OS 7 Bold or Curve and toying with it. If I can afford one that is

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I kinda, sorta miss Blackberry but only because our company has now migrated from Blackberry to iOS. And that OS I really hate, gonna stick with my company issued Blackberry until it dies or I do.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99