Your Face & Name will appear in Google Ads starting Today

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
There is a big opt out option. They've been showcasing the opt out option for a long time now.

It's very smart from a business perspective. However very creepy from a consumer level.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Having an opt out is the only way that Google gets away with stepping over that Creepy-Line again and again and again.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I put this in the same category as companies that offer a free trial but you have to give them your credit card information first. That way when you forget to cancel they can go ahead and charge you.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
^^Exactly. Google is skirting the issue with an opt out procedure that they are banking on folks not pay attention to, instead of consumers being out by default.

This is the kind of stuff Microsoft was crucified for years ago.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
^^Exactly. Google is skirting the issue with an opt out procedure that they are banking on folks not pay attention to, instead of consumers being out by default.

This is the kind of stuff Microsoft was crucified for years ago.

dude, I said the exact same thing on twitter and people freaked out over it.

"no, no, this is innovation!"

Really?

"you're not going to see the ads"

Oh, that makes it much better

"its going to increase their revenue"

Well, then I'm glad a multi-billion dollar corporation is making more money

"MS could never come up with an idea like this"

Thank God

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It seems that this will only be visible to people who are in your Circles, right? That makes it equivalent to a Facebook Like, which is also all over the Internet.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It seems that this will only be visible to people who are in your Circles, right? That makes it equivalent to a Facebook Like, which is also all over the Internet.

Well, Google being Google won't come out and say, at least not that I've seen, so it could just be people in your circles or it could be anyone.

Plus the difference is that people use Facebook to be social. People don't do the same with Google, even though Google is shoving G+ down peoples throats.

Here's the exact ToS:
If you have a Google Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Google or on third-party applications connected to your Google Account (such as +1?s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our Services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
dude, I said the exact same thing on twitter and people freaked out over it.

"no, no, this is innovation!"

Really?

"you're not going to see the ads"

Oh, that makes it much better

"its going to increase their revenue"

Well, then I'm glad a multi-billion dollar corporation is making more money

"MS could never come up with an idea like this"

Thank God

yikes i never thought i would see the day when someone would stick up for a company that will plaster your face in ads so that company could get money while they take all your info about you o.o/ i don't know about them but ill stay far away from that company

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
yikes i never thought i would see the day when someone would stick up for a company that will plaster your face in ads so that company could get money while they take all your info about you o.o/ i don't know about them but ill stay far away from that company

I don't know about you but I do realise that they offer a service in exchange for that information (and to be honest I don't really care anymore - they all do exactly the same thing, e.g. Nokia now showing ads in Here Maps). If you really want to maintain your privacy, you should not use banking services, store loyalty cards and of course stay far away from the Internet.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind too much about my friends seeing certain endorsements. However, I only want that to appear when I am knowingly and explicitly endorsing something for that purpose.

I don't like the idea that a comment that I make on YouTube (a Google service) can be used without me explicitly stating so.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about you but I do realise that they offer a service in exchange for that information (and to be honest I don't really care anymore - they all do exactly the same thing, e.g. Nokia now showing ads in Here Maps). If you really want to maintain your privacy, you should not use banking services, store loyalty cards and of course stay far away from the Internet.

Here maps adds are nothing like what Google is doing. Shame on you for making that comparison its misleading. As people pass on or fail to maintain their privacy with one company we open the door for others to do the same. Microsoft doesn't monitor anything you do without first asking your permission. You have to opt in remember when you set up your Windows Phone 8 device? Remember it asked you if Microsoft could take your data to help improve their services? That simple "May we" makes the difference. We will never see anything like that on a Google device.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Here maps adds are nothing like what Google is doing. Shame on you for making that comparison its misleading. As people pass on or fail to maintain their privacy with one company we open the door for others to do the same. Microsoft doesn't monitor anything you do without first asking your permission. You have to opt in remember when you set up your Windows Phone 8 device? Remember it asked you if Microsoft could take your data to help improve their services? That simple "May we" makes the difference. We will never see anything like that on a Google device.

Huh? That exact same statement is on every device from every maker.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Huh? That exact same statement is on every device from every maker.

I didn't see that on my Note 3 or my Nexus 7 during setup. It wasn't on my sisters Chrome book or my Gmail account. I have sold my Note 3 and Nexus 7. I have also basically closed my Gmail. My sister still has the Chrome book thought it sit on a shelf sense she got a Dell Venue Pro 8 for Christmas. I have experience with these devices.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see that on my Note 3 or my Nexus 7 during setup. It wasn't on my sisters Chrome book or my Gmail account. I have sold my Note 3 and Nexus 7. I have also basically closed my Gmail. My sister still has the Chrome book thought it sit on a shelf sense she got a Dell Venue Pro 8 for Christmas. I have experience with these devices.

I can't speak for chrome book but it's on my Nexus and iPhone during setup. Even was on my Windows 8 desktop.

Asking to improve services by sending data is common practice.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I never said anything about privacy I get that nothing is secure on the internet but I called out how google is making money with your info and google users are ok with it. and nokia is NOT the same as google. they are not out to make money out of getting your info on what you search up unlike google

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for chrome book but it's on my Nexus and iPhone during setup. Even was on my Windows 8 desktop.

Asking to improve services by sending data is common practice.

That doesn't mean what you think. That specific example is for bugs and issues with services/apps. If there is an issue, that gives them the ability to pull bug logs, info about your computer and what you were doing when it happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss