Tempted by Note 3...

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If you like Note 3, then get Note 3. No need to ask around here because all you'll get are paranoid responses about Google stealing your wife and kids. Go to YouTube, watch video reviews. Go to credible sites and read reviews; I suggest AnandTech or AndroidCentral. If you like the device, get it. It's a phone, you shouldn't feel 'bad' about purchasing it. If it fits your needs, then that's all that matters.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Most of the people I know either don't use the stylus, or got bored of it!

I wonder if Samsung ever generated data on how many really use the stylus, its just a marketing gimmick, IMO.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This place is like Fox News. Only the information they want you to have is provided.

To simply answer your question. No, you don't have to use any of Google services to use the phone. You can just grab Microsoft apps and use them as you like.

Um unless Android has changed since i last used it(August 2013)...you do need a Gmail account in order to access the playstore...and if you wish to leave reviews on apps, you now are required to use google+ to do so....so yes, actually you DO have to use google services in some shape and form in order to use Android...unless you get a forked version like a kindle or something where it completely bypasses all of Google services.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Most of the people I know either don't use the stylus, or got bored of it!

I wonder if Samsung ever generated data on how many really use the stylus, its just a marketing gimmick, IMO.

Same here. When i got my Surface Pro, i was like "Ooh cool a stylus...Played with it all of 10-15 mins...flashforward 2 weeks later, no clue where that stylus even is now lmfao. I got bored quite easily and didn't use it.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Um unless Android has changed since i last used it(August 2013)...you do need a Gmail account in order to access the playstore...and if you wish to leave reviews on apps, you now are required to use google+ to do so....so yes, actually you DO have to use google services in some shape and form in order to use Android...unless you get a forked version like a kindle or something where it completely bypasses all of Google services.
You need a Gmail account for Android, Outlook for Windows Phone and an Apple ID for iOS. What's the big deal in having a Google account to download apps?

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You need a Gmail account for Android, Outlook for Windows Phone and an Apple ID for iOS. What's the big deal in having a Google account to download apps?

You would agree that Google has been far more aggressive in monetizing your personal information compared to Microsoft and Apple? Actually, not signing into Outlook on Windows Phone doesn't hurt Microsoft - its already made its money in a proper sales & purchase transaction when you buy the phone. It even makes some money from Android devices thanks to licensing of its intellectual assets. In other words, good old making products/services and R&D. Google's business model is giving you free service and getting paid from other parties. Conflict of interest, and I think they would place their paymasters interest above yours. Stopping the flow of your personal information to Google is like starving the beast. So yes, there is a difference.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

The user wanted to avoid google services and just use android. So no, the user wouldn't be doing any of that. You don't need anything to just use android.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Unless you want to download and/install any apps. Android requires a Google Play account. Not unlike any other. Microsoft and Apple are all the same when it comes to this aspect. Folks are just becoming more and more leery of Google's intrusive practices.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Unless you want to download and/install any apps. Android requires a Google Play account. Not unlike any other. Microsoft and Apple are all the same when it comes to this aspect. Folks are just becoming more and more leery of Google's intrusive practices.

Read a few posts back, FinancialP wants to use either a forked store and /or download APKs from the web. It's doable but not convenient.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll need to sign in with your google account if you need access to google play app updates and information from apps. But it is possible to use android without ever signing in google services. Just don't use them and if you are still paranoid about google services, then you could root the phone, install no-frills rom, don't install gaps , install greenify, install paranoid ( to ensure nothing is sent to google ) . You'd be deprived of google updates, and will likely enjoy better performance from the phone because of lack of g running services :) except the core services.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll need to sign in with your google account if you need access to google play app updates and information from apps. But it is possible to use android without ever signing in google services. Just don't use them and if you are still paranoid about google services, then you could root the phone, install no-frills rom, don't install gaps , install greenify, install paranoid ( to ensure nothing is sent to google ) . You'd be deprived of google updates, and will likely enjoy better performance from the phone because of lack of g running services :) except the core services.

Isn't that a bit too much work to get your phone working the way you want to...I guess you would have to love the basic Android experience that much to go through that effort....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that a bit too much work to get your phone working the way you want to...I guess you would have to love the basic Android experience that much to go through that effort....

I agree, I think it's over the top. But I think he was pointing out that it's possible if that's what someone really wants to do.

For me, I've already gone all in to Android, WP, and iPhone. I don't feel that whatever compromise to privacy takes place is worth what I'd miss by trying to block everything possible. I'm not worried about what Google, Microsoft, or Apple are doing with my data. That may change in the future, but for now I'm not concerned. Our privacy was gone a long time ago anyway. Even feature phones track your location at all times, and I'm pretty sure your calls & texts can be reviewed on demand. There's no way around that.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think it's over the top. But I think he was pointing out that it's possible if that's what someone really wants to do.

For me, I've already gone all in to Android, WP, and iPhone. I don't feel that whatever compromise to privacy takes place is worth what I'd miss by trying to block everything possible. I'm not worried about what Google, Microsoft, or Apple are doing with my data. That may change in the future, but for now I'm not concerned. Our privacy was gone a long time ago anyway. Even feature phones track your location at all times, and I'm pretty sure your calls & texts can be reviewed on demand. There's no way around that.

Thanks for posting THIS!

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
After have my 928 less than a month I am tempted to get the note 3. Just because Microsoft seems to not care about WP. They update everything for IOS and android and give us crap. Makes no sense.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

I currently have a HTC 8x but very tempted by the Note 3. I like the size, stylus and app selection.

My question is: If I were to switch to Android, how much would I have to use Google services? I don't like Google+ or any of their services, the only thing I use of Google's is YouTube. I would want to keep using Outlook, SkyDrive, Office Apps, Bing etc.

Thanks for any replies.

You'll also be asked to make a Gmail account when setting up the phone.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
After have my 928 less than a month I am tempted to get the note 3. Just because Microsoft seems to not care about WP. They update everything for IOS and android and give us crap. Makes no sense.

You could wait for 8.1 .. Otherwise go for Note-3 . Android beats WP anyday in functionality :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire