warning for anyone considering Android.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The OP talks like he is in a 3rd world country. Who the hell buys an Android phone on Gingerbread these days? What are we, back in the year 2010?

But to the point, the OP's post is FUD. Pure crap. I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 both running 4.4.2 and no issues. (I also happen to own an HTC One, a Galaxy S3, a Lumia 520, an iPhone 5S and a Lumia 1020.) The Nex5 is stock and the Nex7 is rooted with Xposed Modules for that custom ROM feel. The Android OS is much more mature over Windows 8 (even the Lumia Black update), but that is because of the sheer amount of developers for the platform and Google constantly updating Google Apps, not to mention the entire OS.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head when I read certain threads.

Wait a year or two with the Android devices. As mentioned, it takes time, its not instant.

But EVERYONE who has ever owned an android in MY family (including me) has had issues.

Google "issue with android" see how many results you get....I'm not the only one.

Your guess is correct, I live in RSA but its very hard to get a device with ginger bread, you can only get it on very few online retailers and who ever sells one second hand.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
As a dual Android-WindowsPhone user.. there are some biases in this..

Android 2.3.x is NOT reliable any more, if you want full app support at least use a phone with Android 4.0.x instead.. even then some apps won't work, a lot of groups are moving to Jelly Bean 4.1.x for app development now.

There are lots of apps on play store to help clean cache which makes the phone much faster.

But I do feel WP is much more optimized than Android.. I've been using my L520 as a main phone for the past 2 weeks and have been very impressed, and plan to use it as my main phone to the visible future.

Reliability as in consistency with the apps it ran well when you first got it,

There's, network reliability to consider. There's battery life, there's...many things.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Are we really forgetting the 'other storage' issue on Windows Phones? That is a problem that gets worse overtime as well. Allegedly it got fixed, but we had to live with it for over a year.

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It dates back to 2009...it released with Android 1.5

Anything Android 2.3 (ginger bread) or older should be fine. It's just the newer versions of Android that came after 2.3 that you must be weary of.

The only android device running 2.3 that still available on the market is the samsung galaxy Y. (thats the only one I know of)

HTC Cha Cha

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I only know of two. The cha cha and a galaxy that have a physical keyboard out of hundreds of android devices. :)

The Droid Pro had a fixed keyboard. The Moto Admiral had a fixed keyboard. Let's not even get into the dozens of devices with sliding keyboards.

Rockfella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey! I was bewildered when the battery dropped to 95% post 100 % recharge just after switching phone on and drained out rapidly within hours. I read somewhere that it takes a few cycles to stabilize. It was much better today and hopefully will get better over the next few cycles. Will update. I have done almost all of this:

Nokia Lumia 525 - User Guide - Nokia Lumia 525 - Extend battery life - Nokia - Middle East and Africa

How much battery life do you get from it and do you use it extensively ?

This could be a deal breaker for me depending on how bad battery life is.

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Are we really forgetting the 'other storage' issue on Windows Phones? That is a problem that gets worse overtime as well. Allegedly it got fixed, but we had to live with it for over a year.

No it is not,i have that issue and its been there for quite some time.They say it is,but each time i am the one trying to fix it.I even have this issue of "Resuming" or "Loading" each time i open something on my phone,for several seconds and i simply don`t understand why on many occasions i happen to have two instances of the same app running like the store or music app,why is that so?,maybe its got something to do with multitasking implementation.There are problems with pdf rendering,limited API problems...and so on
And then there is this thread which i find relevant in WPCentral forums,other than for flame wars(as in some of the comments already). An android issue hotly debated as WPCentral forums,well..

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I love how this is an Android problem.
Brother's fiance's 8X died the other day for no discernible reason. Housemate's iPhone 5 died for no discernible reason. I've had an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S3 fail on me. Technology gets laggy. It gets old. It gets stuttery. It dies. It happens on desktops, laptops, tablets.

Electronics get old. They age.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I love how this is an Android problem.
Brother's fiance's 8X died the other day for no discernible reason. Housemate's iPhone 5 died for no discernible reason. I've had an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S3 fail on me. Technology gets laggy. It gets old. It gets stuttery. It dies. It happens on desktops, laptops, tablets.

Electronics get old. They age.

Electronics are not organic creatures, they don't age. They're not mechanical either so there are no moving parts to wear out. People however don't always take care of their items and most don't bother to learn how to use them properly.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Electronics are not organic creatures, they don't age. They're not mechanical either so there are no moving parts to wear out. People however don't always take care of their items and most don't bother to learn how to use them properly.

That's not entirely true.
Flash memory eventually wears out.
LCDs can die, although not for a very long time. I hear AMOLED has a shorter lifespan somewhere, but don't quote me on that I could be wrong.

Capacitors or small parts can wear out etc
it could also be very minute defects making themselves heard

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers