warning for anyone considering Android.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I know Android is great when you go and test the Android devices in the store...but ideally don't take a contract bigger than 18 months. 12 months ideally as Android tends to age very quickly. Buy this I mean that after about 18 months (or less) the phone will start becoming more and more unresponsive with apps you have always used and many times you may no longer be able to open the app as you will have to force close it. On some Androids you may experience grey patches on your photos and dont get me started on the
3G/HSDPA data connection issues (1 second your data connection is working, the next second no data traffic can go through even though the device shows your data connection is on and you have still got adequate network coverage). But you may be one of the fortune ones and not have any issues. But my advice is this, if you want android go for a device with Android 2.3 ginger bread as it is the most reliable version of Android. Trust me, there were several Androids in my house hold that gave different issues but one thing in common, they were all between 1 and 2 years old before they started to give hastles.

And this is why I'm switching to WP when my Androids contract is finished in March this year (2014) # I have my sights on the L520 or L525 if you are wondering #

Apple is just far too expensive and boring.

#note to all: if you have had no problems with Android then please indicate the Android version (it must be newer than 2.3) and also please indicate how long the device has been running that version of Android. (this is to take into account OTA updates)-thanks for contributing. :smile:

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know Android is great when you go and test the Android devices in the store...but ideally don't take a contract bigger than 18 months. 12 months ideally as Android tends to age very quickly. Buy this I mean that after about 18 months (or less) the phone will start becoming more and more unresponsive with apps you have always used and many times you may no longer be able to open the app as you will have to force close it. On some Androids you may experience grey patches on your photos. But you may be one of the fortune ones and not have any issues. But my advice is this, if you want android go for a device with Android 2.3 ginger bread as it is the most reliable version of Android. Trust me, there were several Androids in my house hold that gave different issues but one thing in common, they were all between 1 and 2 years old before they started to give hastles.

Grey patches is a classic sign of memory card issues. I've seen it on every device that uses an sdcard from Nikon's to nuvis. this is not related to the platform.

so, you got 1 to 2 years of use before the infamous wpcentral problems with android happened ? I didnt know it was possible , congrats!

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Every person in my family has an Android phone (except for me), and guess what? They're all having problems, I advised them not to buy Android phones because they're not reliable, but they didn't listen, and here they are! Having plenty of problems!!

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been using android since HTC hero and they have all been ok. What are they doing to those poor phones lol?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been using android since HTC hero and they have all been ok. What are they doing to those poor phones lol?

It dates back to 2009...it released with Android 1.5

Anything Android 2.3 (ginger bread) or older should be fine. It's just the newer versions of Android that came after 2.3 that you must be weary of.

The only android device running 2.3 that still available on the market is the samsung galaxy Y. (thats the only one I know of)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Resetting device (and clearing devcache) is supposed to bring your device back to a new state no?

For several hours yes...then the problems come back...though keeping your downloaded apps to a minimum does help quite a bit, but its still not a true fix.

I think the problem is Google is rushing out new android versions so as to bring as many new features to the market as quick as possible.

jj2me

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Check your RAM use. Cache and RAM are the two main sources of lag on Android.

Monitor RAM use to be sure you're at about 100 MB available or greater (when you plunge to about 45 MB, you're at stall speed). If lower, uninstall and replace the apps that are RAM hogs. Other ways of increasing RAM is to limit widgets and reduce the total number of apps (which you've already discovered). Preferably, buy Android phones with 2 GB of RAM.

Despite the claims of many that Android has great memory management, it definitely has some problems at the lower bounds of RAM.

Similarly, your cache may be the source of lag, in which case you'll need to clean it regularly.

From someone who spent over a year struggling with an Android phone that had only 367 GB of user-available RAM (and that was Gingerbread--on Jellybean and a 1GB RAM phone and the practices I've espoused here, I've had better luck).

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I know Android is great when you go and test the Android devices in the store...but ideally don't take a contract bigger than 18 months. 12 months ideally as Android tends to age very quickly. Buy this I mean that after about 18 months (or less) the phone will start becoming more and more unresponsive with apps you have always used and many times you may no longer be able to open the app as you will have to force close it. On some Androids you may experience grey patches on your photos and dont get me started on the
3G/HSDPA data connection issues (1 second your data connection is working, the next second no data traffic can go through even though the device shows your data connection is on and you have still got adequate network coverage). But you may be one of the fortune ones and not have any issues. But my advice is this, if you want android go for a device with Android 2.3 ginger bread as it is the most reliable version of Android. Trust me, there were several Androids in my house hold that gave different issues but one thing in common, they were all between 1 and 2 years old before they started to give hastles.

And this is why I'm switching to WP when my Androids contract is finished in March this year (2014) # I have my sights on the L520 or L525 if you are wondering #

Apple is just far too expensive and boring.

I say go for 525, since it has a better RAM. That's the only drawback of my 625. Oh, and the 8gb internal memory, too. But, overall, WP8 is awesome!

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to hear your opinion. What version of Android do you think is the most reliable ? And what are your experiences with other versions ?

I used Android 4.4 on the new Nexus 7. I also have a 13-14 month old HTC One X running official Android 4.2 in the house. One X has always been a tad slow so that's expected, but it's stable with no random reboots or anything. The new Nexus 7 was blazing fast. Seriously there are tons of issues with Android, speed is definitely not one of them. I regularly see a 'loading...' or 'resuming...' screen on my Lumia 1020. There is none of that on Android. It multitasks like a champ.
I don't really like Android phones, so I haven't owned one in a while. But my friends are absolutely crazy about the OS so I do get to use it on their phones. Got to use a Nexus 4 and HTC One a while back, experienced no speed issues at all. Both were running Android 4.4.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used Android 4.4 on the new Nexus 7. I also have a 13-14 month old HTC One X running official Android 4.2 in the house. One X has always been a tad slow so that's expected, but it's stable with no random reboots or anything. The new Nexus 7 was blazing fast. Seriously there are tons of issues with Android, speed is definitely not one of them. I regularly see a 'loading...' or 'resuming...' screen on my Lumia 1020. There is none of that on Android. It multitasks like a champ.
I don't really like Android phones, so I haven't owned one in a while. But my friends are absolutely crazy about the OS so I do get to use it on their phones. Got to use a Nexus 4 and HTC One a while back, experienced no speed issues at all. Both were running Android 4.4.

yea android can be pretty inconsistent across devices and manufacturers throw on their secret sauce and whatnot, I feel it gets a little bit too much flak for its supposed lag problems

I once flashed an unofficial CM JB 4.1 ROM onto an HTC Aria, 384 MB RAM, 800 MHz single-core overclocked, you'd be surprised how decently it ran on those feeble specs. But then again it did leave me hanging every so often, but it worked OK

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
yea android can be pretty inconsistent across devices and manufacturers throw on their secret sauce and whatnot, I feel it gets a little bit too much flak for its supposed lag problems

I once flashed an unofficial CM JB 4.1 ROM onto an HTC Aria, 384 MB RAM, 800 MHz single-core overclocked, you'd be surprised how decently it ran on those feeble specs. But then again it did leave me hanging every so often, but it worked OK
Google doing the 'Google Edition' versions of popular Android phones is the best decision they've ever made. A Galaxy S4 is a cluster**** with TouchWiz. However with stock Android that thing flies.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I have never used 4.4 so I wouldn't know. But I have used 2.3-4.0-4.1 and only 2.3 gave me no issues wile the rest...well let's just say they weren't consistent. How long have you or your friend been using 4.4 ? If you have used it for more than 1.5 years and no issues then I'm impressed.

Oh that reminds me. The battery life also decreased hugely but I believe thats related to hardware.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have never used 4.4 so I wouldn't know. But I have used 2.3-4.0-4.1 and only 2.3 gave me no issues wile the rest...well let's just say they weren't consistent. How long have you or your friend been using 4.4 ? If you have used it for more than 1.5 years and no issues then I'm impressed.

Oh that reminds me. The battery life also decreased hugely but I believe thats related to hardware.
4.4 came out only a few months ago. Did the phones you used for 18 months received any software updates? And which phones were they?

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've used an S3 before, version 4.1/2 somewhere. My experiences were frustrating. Had to deal with the phone problems more than using it. Glad I sold it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I regularly see a 'loading...' or 'resuming...' screen on my Lumia 1020. There is none of that on Android. It multitasks like a champ..

that's because android runs everything simultaneously(wp hibernates apps once you hit home button) . If you don't close the app usig task manager, the app will be running draining battery. One of the reasons why battery life is said to be poorer on android than on wp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)