warning for anyone considering Android.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
that's because android runs everything simultaneously(wp hibernates apps once you hit home button) . If you don't close the app usig task manager, the app will be running draining battery. One of the reasons why battery life is said to be poorer on android than on wp.

Nops. I don't see any 'loading...' or 'resuming...' on my iPhone 5 when I had it. iOS doesn't run apps actively in the background. It's just that the freeze-unfreeze process on Windows Phone is quite slow.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
4.4 came out only a few months ago. Did the phones you used for 18 months received any software updates? And which phones were they?

Yes, both device's (galaxy s2 and HTC evo 3D) the htc got 1 update to ics 4.0 and the galaxy got 2 updates, 4.0 ics and 4.1gelly bean

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nops. I don't see any 'loading...' or 'resuming...' on my iPhone 5 when I had it. iOS doesn't run apps actively in the background. It's just that the freeze-unfreeze process on Windows Phone is quite slow.

I haven't see it on my 1520 yet, I think its just the older chipsets in dual cores

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I know Android is great when you go and test the Android devices in the store...but ideally don't take a contract bigger than 18 months. 12 months ideally as Android tends to age very quickly. Buy this I mean that after about 18 months (or less) the phone will start becoming more and more unresponsive with apps you have always used and many times you may no longer be able to open the app as you will have to force close it. On some Androids you may experience grey patches on your photos and dont get me started on the
3G/HSDPA data connection issues (1 second your data connection is working, the next second no data traffic can go through even though the device shows your data connection is on and you have still got adequate network coverage). But you may be one of the fortune ones and not have any issues. But my advice is this, if you want android go for a device with Android 2.3 ginger bread as it is the most reliable version of Android. Trust me, there were several Androids in my house hold that gave different issues but one thing in common, they were all between 1 and 2 years old before they started to give hastles.

And this is why I'm switching to WP when my Androids contract is finished in March this year (2014) # I have my sights on the L520 or L525 if you are wondering #

Apple is just far too expensive and boring.

I have a few questions, first, which company makes the devices you're having issues with? HTC, Samsung, Motorolla? Second, which carrier? I haven't had an issue (that I haven't caused) with Android, and I've had them since my G1. Not to say I don't like my Lumia, just as a point, none of my Androids have had any of these issues. I have done a lot of custom ROMs, and haven't had lag or anything, and have stock on my S4, with XPosed modules to customize it, and Titanium Backup because who wants to be forced to have Trip Advisor.

I'm tempted to call this a FUD-like post to be honest, as I don't see anything specific here. Do you think if your issues were widespread, people would continue to use Android? I mean, lag, sure, it *can* happen, but there's cache cleaners. But, the data connection issues, I don't think anyone would use it if that happened.

I like Android because it feels more like a computer in my pocket, as I can tweak whatever I want. I like WP because it isn't like a computer, it's a smart phone. Never had to go w/o my Lumia working because I tweaked it, but I have had to hobble along without my GS4 because I forgot not to mess with my EFS partition.

Edited for clarity.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a few questions, first, which company makes the devices you're having issues with? HTC, Samsung, Motorolla? Second, which carrier? I haven't had an issue (that I haven't caused) with Android, and I've had them since my G1. Not to say I don't like my Lumia, just as a point, none of my Androids have had any of these issues. I have done a lot of custom ROMs, and haven't had lag or anything, and have stock on my S4, with XPosed modules to customize it, and Titanium Backup because who wants to be forced to have Trip Advisor.

I'm tempted to call this a FUD-like post to be honest, as I don't see anything specific here. Do you think if your issues were widespread, people would continue to use Android? I mean, lag, sure, it *can* happen, but there's cache cleaners. But, the data connection issues, I don't think anyone would use it if that happened.

I like Android because it feels more like a computer in my pocket, as I can tweak whatever I want. I like WP because it isn't like a computer, it's a smart phone. Never had to go w/o my Lumia working because I tweaked it, but I have had to hobble along without my GS4 because I forgot not to mess with my EFS partition.

Edited for clarity.

I agree with your reasoning and point of view. :smile:

Manufacturers: HTC and Samsung-two phones-HTC EVO 3D (ics) & Samsung galaxy SII (gelly bean)

Carrier: Cellc-South Africa

The devices you describe as fine, have they at least run Android 4.0 ics or newer for more than 18 months or 1.5 years ?

If so, then you know you were one of the few fortunate people to never experience problems with Android. But unfortunately for me, I was one of the many who did.

Though to be fair, my android device is doing a lot better now, (still seldom that I have hiccups) but thats because I'm keeping downloaded apps to a strict minimum.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
My experiences with android are these:

I owned a galaxy tab 10.1 that shipped with android 3.1 which was pretty much AOSP, aka "vanilla" Google. I quite liked the look and feel of the UI everything seemed more or less consistent. (At this point I should point out that I had already owned a HTC 7 Mozart for 1.5 years). Then a few days later 3.2 was released for the P7510 and that was the first time I was confronted with a OEMs "Overlay" UI to the vanilla android experience. Suffice to say it was horrible. It was inconsistent, some apps had a dark background others had a bright one. Even worse, the same thing happened in the settings menus. I could be lying in bed, looking at the dark background of the YouTube app (which, back then, still had a dark background) and switch to the settings menu only to be blinded by the bright background. I was then looking forward to the cyanogenmod versions of ICS (4.0) which turned out to go back to the stock, vanilla UI (removing/skipping Samsungs touchwiz UI all together) making a more consistent experience but turned out to be slower. Suddenly YouTube videos started to stutter, games seem to run slower etc. 4.1.1 made it even worse, lagging became so horrible I sold the device to get a Acer W511 with windows 8 that I am still happy with today. I then decided to half a year later give android another chance, this time with an android TV stick, namely the MK808. Android sticks were cheap at the time, as they really only contained the hardware that's needed. You'd hook it up to your existing HD TV using a mouse and keyboard as input. And while the MK808 was noticeably more powerful than the Gtab, the experience was still sub par and no where near my almost 2 year old Mozart. O still own the device, but seeing that tablet support in android is really not any good even by now (a lot of apps don't even run on a tablet) I am not going to bother with android myself anymore. So far and so long with my own experiences with android which, as I pointed out, are pretty much limited to tablet devices.

Now for my experiences I observe with some of my friends using android devices. I noticed that my friends were often using iPhones (some even as old as iPhone 3GS) or one of the latest android devices and be happy. But everyone using a "budget" android or an older android device was pretty much unhappy. A few of my friends still rocking dumbphones or feature phones noticed this as well and asked me how happy I was with my Mozart. Seeing as I quite liked the device (despite a few hardware built issues) I could convince them to try it for themselves. I let them toy around with my device and they liked it. And even though I told them that windows phone 8 is around the corner and windows phone 7 devices (including the upcoming Lumina devices) would probably soon be obsolete and not upgradeable they still decided to go with WP and like it to this day and intent to stay on the platform (one is using a lumia 800, the other one a 900) and are still helping me to convince others to switch to the WP platform. The ones that always use the latest and greatest android devices don't seem to be annoyed by the fact that they have to replace their device every 12 -16 months.

Long stories short: tablet support still is horrible on android, devices older than 12 months seem to be barely enjoyable seeing as all of my friends using android devices always have a recent, up to date device makes me feel that android offers too much choices resulting in too many unoptimized installations.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
go to settings and open any one of the Nokia specific settings, like display or glance. See if you can see a loading... sign.

Anybody who used WP7 knows that WP8 loads settings slower and kinetic scrolling is not as good. It's a well documented issue and it's not brand-specific.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Been using Android for years, most major brands, I have rooted/flashed ROMs, I have run them stock. I have never experienced any issue mentioned here that clearing cache can't fix.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Ahh! sad to know that your 1020(2GB ram) does it too so it must be cause of Wp8 memory management or the chipset which does this. Will be great if MS fixes the loading issue and introduces quad core budget devices end of the year.. I see alot of loading screens on L620 but that's more because of the 512MB ram :)

@mk33, thanks for the info :) . It's true newer iterations of Android have made it smarter in task management especially JB ..

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Been using pretty much every newer Android phone, never had a problem.
#note to all: if you have had no problems with Android then please indicate the Android version (it must be newer than 2.3) and also please indicate how long the device has been running that version of Android. (this is to take into account OTA updates)-thanks for contributing. :smile:

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I will say, I know people who have had these issues because they use app killers or task killers. After Froyo these things should never be used and will cause these types of issues.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
My experiences with android are these:

I owned a galaxy tab 10.1 that shipped with android 3.1 which was pretty much AOSP, aka "vanilla" Google. I quite liked the look and feel of the UI everything seemed more or less consistent.

Long stories short: tablet support still is horrible on android, devices older than 12 months seem to be barely enjoyable seeing as all of my friends using android devices always have a recent, up to date device makes me feel that android offers too much choices resulting in too many unoptimized installations.

I'm sorry, please define 'support' for me. hardware? software? customer service ?

I have two very cheap android tablets that have been nothing but rock solid for a year now. quad core setup with enough ram that nothing chokes it. but anyway, continue :thumbup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234