warning for anyone considering Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
since it's looking like moot, i'll play the other side now and argue with myself: what's the point of having an octocore device when a single core does everything just as well?because single core saved the planet! :)

Unfortunately I didn't do well in clairvoyance class, so I can't tell from across the Atlantic what you would consider a big deal. I'd have thought you'd at least try to think of a few possibilities yourself, but apparently not. Sorry I wasted our time.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I didn't do well in clairvoyance class, so I can't tell from across the Atlantic what you would consider a big deal. I'd have thought you'd at least try to think of a few possibilities yourself, but apparently not. Sorry I wasted our time.

not wasted at all. the iPhone battery is a good example. when it starts doing heavy tasks that I mentioned, it goes just like wp /android.

I don't know what wp battery things need ironing out that you mentioned, sorry.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
playing a movie , game, or sat nav with a screen on is going to drain all of them. plugging my phone in, or dropping it on a inductive mat isnt a big deal.

I really expected to hear someone say wp /iOS was smoother, and bring up the 'android lags!' thing.

since it's looking like moot, i'll play the other side now and argue with myself: what's the point of having an octocore device when a single core does everything just as well?

because single core saved the planet!

:)

Agreed, 1 powerful core is better than 8 powerful cores as it uses much less power to run. Also no, Android does not lag at all...it freezes :D

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok, enough with the BS about android being an unusable device. ALL of the major players phones on all 3 platforms are solid devices. The only reason we choose one or the other is personal preference. The majority of people would be fine with any smartphone. Show me one review that shows any new smartphone has an issue that renders it virtually worthless.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, enough with the BS about android being an unusable device. ALL of the major players phones on all 3 platforms are solid devices. The only reason we choose one or the other is personal preference. The majority of people would be fine with any smartphone. Show me one review that shows any new smartphone has an issue that renders it virtually worthless.

People who review devices get new phones...we are talking about a phone that is at least 1.5 years old.

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well no one using Sony's flagship phones? like Xperia S or Z. All my friends use Android, and experience a lot of issues, but one of my friend is using Sony Xperia S from November 2012, yet it is as fluid as a new one, it has no problems like lag, freezing or random reboots. I love Sony android than that of Samsung's. Galaxy Note 2, and S4 are very problematic, and my friends regretting for buying Samsung. If you want to buy Android, go for Sony. I personally like iOS and WP for their RAM management, and fluidness.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lags, freezes, etc. on older phones are usually a result of having too many programs running in the background. This was the eternal problem with WinMo and you'd think people would pay attention to this problem. I've used Androids since the G1 and unless you monitor your tasks, this will be an ongoing theme. Jelly Bean has gone a long way toward making it easier to kill background tasks but a little user input is necessary. Personally, I don't like the Android experience but it is worlds better with JB than anything in the past. Even on Windows if you look at the number of active services running in the task manager you might flip. The user is ultimately responsible for optimizing his/her system and not relying on a default setup.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
His thread over at android central hasn't had any replies in the last 5 days. There were 12 comments initially, but minimal amount of people agreeing with the op. People in my forums love to complain, but it would appear there is nothing to back up this warning.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
His thread over at android central hasn't had any replies in the last 5 days. There were 12 comments initially, but minimal amount of people agreeing with the op. People in my forums love to complain, but it would appear there is nothing to back up this warning.

Well except for this post:

On any phone without vanilla android. I have had HTC, Samsung, LG, and Moto devices, and problems with all of them (except the Droid 1 of course).

I have never experienced this on Nexus devices though. My advice is to avoid anything with a 3rd party skin. If you are going to get a non-Nexus device, then at least get a Google Play Edition of it. The only non Nexus/GPA device I would ever consider right now is the Moto X.

Vendor skins are the devil. They are just not worth the hassle IMO. They cause more problems than they solve.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
People who review devices get new phones...we are talking about a phone that is at least 1.5 years old.

A phone, which? If you are talking about ONE specific android phone why bash whole android saying every android beyond gingerbread is shait?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven