03-03-2014 10:07 AM
150 ... 456
tools
    Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! Rooted Nokia X shows why Android is not the platform for Microsoft to differentiate on | WMPoweruser. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?
    We all knew that would happen, but I'm surprised it happened that fast... now the question is what percentage of the population would use that ability? To be fair, one of the primary markets for the Nokia X is China, where the ability to do so is irrelevant, as access to most of Google's servers are blocked by the government.
    02-28-2014 07:50 PM
    Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! Rooted Nokia X shows why Android is not the platform for Microsoft to differentiate on | WMPoweruser. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?
    I was telling a colleague just today that I expect xda to have Gapps flashed to the Nokia X within a few days of release. I didn't expect it quite this quick though! I was actually surprised to hear that sideloading apk's was possible, basically out of the box; I would've thought that Microsoft would have at least attempted to block that.
    02-28-2014 09:23 PM
    We all knew that would happen, but I'm surprised it happened that fast... now the question is what percentage of the population would use that ability? To be fair, one of the primary markets for the Nokia X is China, where the ability to do so is irrelevant, as access to most of Google's servers are blocked by the government.
    Then it just shows how iincompetent Nokia and Microsoft are. What a stupid idea to try and sell an OS to promote MS services when that very OS makes its easy to rip out those services. Only in Microsoft's world would this be seen as a viable strategy.
    02-28-2014 10:09 PM
    Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! http://wmpoweruser.com/rooted-nokia-...ferentiate-on/. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?
    The people who are the type to root their phones aren't the main target. They are just extra sales.
    02-28-2014 10:44 PM
    But wait the Nokia x fans and wpcentral will tell us that "this is expected but people in emerging countries won't root"

You know because apparently these people must be dumb in emerging countries /s
    And you say that because?...

You like making up ccompletely inept arguments for imaginary adversaries
    02-28-2014 10:45 PM
    I was telling a colleague just today that I expect xda to have Gapps flashed to the Nokia X within a few days of release. I didn't expect it quite this quick though! I was actually surprised to hear that sideloading apk's was possible, basically out of the box; I would've thought that Microsoft would have at least attempted to block that.
    Not up to MS. This is a Nokia thing.
    02-28-2014 10:46 PM
    Then it just shows how iincompetent Nokia and Microsoft are. What a stupid idea to try and sell an OS to promote MS services when that very OS makes its easy to rip out those services. Only in Microsoft's world would this be seen as a viable strategy.
    I think you mmiss what the strategy is.
    02-28-2014 10:47 PM
    Yes you're technically correct, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had more to do with the Nokia X project than we might think. My personal opinion is that Microsoft was behind it all along. Microsoft had to make sure that Nokia released it before the devices division became Microsoft to save face.

Nokia's strategy is to sell devices. Is that what you mean? A manufacturer couldn't care less what OS is on the device, as long as it sells.
    02-28-2014 11:29 PM
    The probability that this is solely Nokia's baby is zero. MS would kill it instantly if they thought it was against their interests, and Nokia wouldn't have followed through with the launch if there was even the slightest chance of MS killing it right after taking over. No company invests the millions required to design and bring such a device to market, if there is no chance of it lasting long enough to recoup those investments.
    03-01-2014 12:46 AM
    The only strategy that seems to be operating here is that Nokia and Microsoft are banking on users stupidity in not knowing how to root and remove their services. If there's a chance that users could be lost to google then to me that is a foolish strategy, better to offer a low cost WP device that will actually run the services these devices are allegedly about with no risk of them being easily replaced and with no google services present gives them almost 100% certainty that MS services are the ones being used.
    03-01-2014 01:22 AM
    And you say that because?...

You like making up ccompletely inept arguments for imaginary adversaries
    I am saying it because that is what is what people keep saying to me anytime I mention rooting.
    03-01-2014 09:00 AM
    Yes you're technically correct, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had more to do with the Nokia X project than we might think. My personal opinion is that Microsoft was behind it all along. Microsoft had to make sure that Nokia released it before the devices division became Microsoft to save face.

Nokia's strategy is to sell devices. Is that what you mean? A manufacturer couldn't care less what OS is on the device, as long as it sells.
    Because if the coming aquisition, MS is allowed to work with Nokia even less than before. So I doubt they had any part in this. You're getting into pure conjecture right now. Like conspiracy theories, letting your imagination start to cloud what you see as fact.
    03-01-2014 11:43 AM
    The probability that this is solely Nokia's baby is zero. MS would kill it instantly if they thought it was against their interests, and Nokia wouldn't have followed through with the launch if there was even the slightest chance of MS killing it right after taking over. No company invests the millions required to design and bring such a device to market, if there is no chance of it lasting long enough to recoup those investments.
    Why do you assume they don't expect to recoup their investment.

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the aquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.
    03-01-2014 11:49 AM
    I am saying it because that is what is what people keep saying to me anytime I mention rooting.
    In this thread? Because if not, then addressing those people only confuses things in the thread because you are answering completely different points than what is brought up here, and then attributing those points to those who disagree with you.
    03-01-2014 11:53 AM
    You're getting into pure conjecture right now.
    Well yes my opinion is pure conjecture. But isn't that true for all of us at this point?
    03-01-2014 12:05 PM
    Well yes my opinion is pure conjecture. But isn't that true for all of us at this point?
    Not purely for all statements.

If we comment ion known news to guess a strategy it is conjecture based on facts.

When we start adding more imaginary facts, then base arguments off those we are starting to veer off and making arguments not based on what is happening, but what could possibly be happening if A, B, and C also happen to be true.

If the person you are not debating does not subscribe to A, B, and C, then you're just arguing against Boone.

It's like if I said that MS wanted to enslave humanity and then based my arguments off that presupposition. You would not be able to have a real discussion with me because my presupposition isn't something that you can accept as trur.
    03-01-2014 01:07 PM

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the acquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.
    In response to the whole thread, based on the quote above.....

Not to mention the fact that if you were the CEO of the company that had a product you were releasing before said acquisition,
    you would want to make as much money off it as you possibly could before the acquisition was completed.

MS could kill it, it would be in their hands and purely their decision to do so. Regardless of what Nokia wanted
    unless, it was part of the contract that was signed as part of the acquisition, but I am not sure exactly how common that is, nor would it be a long lasting agreement as part of the contract.
    It's like buying into a dying company, but the contract saying you have to keep running with the same business model that is killing it, who in their right mind would do that?
    But also, MS would have to follow through for a certain period of time and support the phone, but not forever.
    So, MS still could kill it, or they could send out an update that might possibly lock it down. Who knows? No one right now.
    03-01-2014 03:14 PM
    Not purely for all statements.

If we comment ion known news to guess a strategy it is conjecture based on facts.

When we start adding more imaginary facts, then base arguments off those we are starting to veer off and making arguments not based on what is happening, but what could possibly be happening if A, B, and C also happen to be true.

If the person you are not debating does not subscribe to A, B, and C, then you're just arguing against Boone.

It's like if I said that MS wanted to enslave humanity and then based my arguments off that presupposition. You would not be able to have a real discussion with me because my presupposition isn't something that you can accept as trur.
    Strawman Arguments
    03-01-2014 03:26 PM
    Pretty much.
    03-01-2014 03:47 PM

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the aquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.
    I don't assume that they will not recoup their costs. I know that they fully expect to.

We're also completely exaggerating this 'don't talk rule' here at WPC. This relates more to insider trading than anything else. Two companies that have engaged in a strategic partnership can't be forbidden to discuss matters relating to daily operations, and they do.

MS is not allowed to dictate anything, but Nokia can still ask MS' opinion, or ask for legal rights to emulate WP's tile interface. What many seem to be missing, is that MS has been directly involved all along, because some of their services had to be ported over to the Nokia X, particularly the Skype app, proving MS is not only on board, but participating in its development.

Not everything is speculation. Some things are made clear simply due to technical requirements.
    03-01-2014 06:25 PM
    I'm still hoping Microsoft will bin this mess along with the kin come time for this buyout to be completed.

Sorry I hear the arguments people make but its just really makes no sense to me....

My question is what happens when the off chance that I and others were right and this does have a negative impact o. Windows phone....what will the Nokia x fans say then lmao.

Kin was a much better idea than this mess lmfao
    03-02-2014 12:12 AM
    My question is what happens when the off chance that I and others were right and this does have a negative impact o. Windows phone....what will the Nokia x fans say then lmao.
    Nothing will happen. WP will keep chugging along, as it always has. WP will still have its customers. Developers will continue to make apps for WP.

As long as WP doesn't suffer a negative growth period, which the Nokia X is very unlikely to single handedly achieve, I don't think we need to worry. It may slow WP's growth, but only due to a subset of people that really wanted a Nokia device, but prefer Android, and were willing to purchase the low-end Nokia X, despite being able to afford a Lumia.. I think these people would probably have left Nokia, and WP, sooner or later anyway.

Running Android apps on WP has the potential to be far more dangerous to the survival of WP than the Nokia X ever will be.
    03-02-2014 12:50 AM
    I'm still hoping Microsoft will bin this mess along with the kin come time for this buyout to be completed.

Sorry I hear the arguments people make but its just really makes no sense to me....
    I dont think you're making an effort to understand.

You may not agree with the Nokia plan. I'm not sure that I even agree with the plan. But if you fail to truly understand it, then commenting on how you disagree with it just comes across as silly.

How can you agree or disagree with something you don't understand?

Then they try something else.

Kin was a much better idea than this mess lmfao
    What was strategy behind Kin? Why did it fail? Why was it a better idea?
    03-02-2014 01:28 AM
    I dont think you're making an effort to understand.

You may not agree with the Nokia plan. I'm not sure that I even agree with the plan. But if you fail to truly understand it, then commenting on how you disagree with it just comes across as silly.

How can you agree or disagree with something you don't understand?

Then they try something else.

What was strategy behind Kin? Why did it fail? Why was it a better idea?
    Most people haven't seen the Nokia developer conference video from MWC, the first few minutes have Stephen Elop talking about where Nokia X fits in 😉
    03-03-2014 09:56 AM
    Nothing will happen. WP will keep chugging along, as it always has. WP will still have its customers. Developers will continue to make apps for WP.

As long as WP doesn't suffer a negative growth period, which the Nokia X is very unlikely to single handedly achieve, I don't think we need to worry. It may slow WP's growth, but only due to a subset of people that really wanted a Nokia device, but prefer Android, and were willing to purchase the low-end Nokia X, despite being able to afford a Lumia.. I think these people would probably have left Nokia, and WP, sooner or later anyway.

Running Android apps on WP has the potential to be far more dangerous to the survival of WP than the Nokia X ever will be.
    I tend to agree with this sentiment. Now that Microsoft will also own a devices division, it's good for them to sell devices regardless of the OS. And in theory I would think that if a device is using Microsoft's services, it makes little difference which OS it has.
    03-03-2014 10:07 AM
150 ... 456