Nokia uses Android against Google.

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Google is going to regret making Android open source. If you had a chance to read the main site Nokia just flipped the mobile phone industry on its head. The Nokia x is no longer a pipe dream. I do know the X Brand is a way to rub it in googles face. With Google no where in sight on this Android Phone and only Nokia and Microsoft on the phone Windows now has a slight chance. Microsoft had to put their stamp of approval on this Phone or no Android apps from Microsoft would have been made for it. Will the X be kept when Microsoft takes over yes. The new CEO has to be behind this because if this happened when Ballmer was still in the CEO seat Ballmer would have freaked out and Destroyed all the X prototypes. I actually think Microsoft realizes they need to fight fire with fire when it comes to Android.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I consider the Nokia X as a mixed package. Whether it'll lure android users towards or away from WP, only time will tell...
And I think Nokia had Microsoft's blessings on this one. After the acquisition, They'd continue the X line if it'd benefit them and kill it if it didn't. So, No worries there. :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
How Google operates Android is actually kind of brilliant. Android is a fully functional operating system that works ok on it's own, but a lot of what most people think of as Android is actually Google's proprietary GMS running on top of Android.

Microsoft needs to learn from this moving forward as they put their products and services (like Office) on competing platforms.

NawfSideWillyB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I like the Trojan Horse tactic. Nokia and MS FTW! Just shows where innovation and clever tactics can get you, hope it works out as planned. As an until death WP supporter, I approve of the Nokia X's and variants! Not that one small guys opinion matters much, but hope you guys feel similar.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I love the Nokia X, I have been saying all along that Nokia should make basic Android devices at low price points that work fine, but that are not as fluid (by Android design) but that have all the basics apps. It makes so much sense, also to replace the ASHA line. In 2 years or even less, you will be able to buy a Nokia X for less than $40.-, so many people will be happy to have a working (albeit slow) MS device. As to Android apps, very easy to port them to the Nokia X store and no one cares for the latest app, all people need in this price segment is an app that WORKS! Then when people upgrade, they will appreciate the more fluid WP8.X software, if they have the money! Most people only need Facebook, Navigation, Email, SMS and a few simple games along with OneDrive or Dropbox. "Flappy bird" should have made everyone understand how basic games people like and enjoy.
Nokia will get the apps it needs... Just pay a developer a few $ to make a few minor changes, like maybe a different Icon... voila! Many will do it for free as this Nokia X will sell and uses Android underneath. No big deal to adapt an app.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
In all the arguments for this device no one has yet to out forward a credible reason why anyone would transition from an X device to WP when all their apps are android apps and the so called services are available on google android handsets which will be running the latest and greatest hardware. So why would they choose WP?

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
In all the arguments for this device no one has yet to out forward a credible reason why anyone would transition from an X device to WP when all their apps are android apps and the so called services are available on google android handsets which will be running the latest and greatest hardware. So why would they choose WP?

The limitations are not on apps the limitations will be on Microsoft services, I think this would make people curious to switch to WP to see what they were missing. Microsoft uses funds from Nokia X to push for bigger full featured apps for WP so when Nokia X people do make the switch to WP they will not be missing apps and want to go full feature google android.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Google is going to regret making Android open source. If you had a chance to read the main site Nokia just flipped the mobile phone industry on its head. The Nokia x is no longer a pipe dream. I do know the X Brand is a way to rub it in googles face. With Google no where in sight on this Android Phone and only Nokia and Microsoft on the phone Windows now has a slight chance. Microsoft had to put their stamp of approval on this Phone or no Android apps from Microsoft would have been made for it. Will the X be kept when Microsoft takes over yes. The new CEO has to be behind this because if this happened when Ballmer was still in the CEO seat Ballmer would have freaked out and Destroyed all the X prototypes. I actually think Microsoft realizes they need to fight fire with fire when it comes to Android.

The new CEO was selected around a month ago? This has been in development for far longer than that, a year at least - i.e. when Ballmer was still around.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

The problem is that Google are no idiots either, and are definitely more agile and flexible than MS.

Imagine tomorrow, at MWC. Page or Sundar Pichai, announce that the Play Store is now available as a free download from Google for all devices running Android, just like how the Amazon App Store on Android is in itself another app.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that Google are no idiots either, and are definitely more agile and flexible than MS.

Imagine tomorrow, at MWC. Page or Sundar Pichai, announce that the Play Store is now available as a free download from Google for all devices running Android, just like how the Amazon App Store on Android is in itself another app.

Lol. Not gonna happen.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The limitations are not on apps the limitations will be on Microsoft services, I think this would make people curious to switch to WP to see what they were missing. Microsoft uses funds from Nokia X to push for bigger full featured apps for WP so when Nokia X people do make the switch to WP they will not be missing apps and want to go full feature google android.

Im still not seeing any concrete argument, is curiosity the only reason they would switch, and what will they be curious about when they use android apps exclusively?

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that most aren't reading the articles about this phone. This phone will not be an Android device as we currently know it.

1-Does anyone think of an Amazon Kindle as an Adroid device? The Nokia X works on the same principle. It is a reskinned android and nowhere will this phone say Android.
2-This phone will not be offered in countries that have high end smart phones (U.S., Japan, Korea) but in countries with emerging markets (per CNET).
3-While this phone will support android apps Nokia will be pushing microsoft services, something android doesn't have.
4-Speaking of apps, they will be delivered through the Nokia store so I have a feeling that there will be come sort of control over that apps are available. Also remember that there is
a big push for popular apps (just look at the list of apps coming out for wp8.1) so there may not be the huge gap for thoses wanting to upgrade from Nokia X to Windows phone
and either way when someone upgrade they will have to start over...WP or Android.

I am interested to see how this pans out. I don't think it's that bad of an idea.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What are these magical Microsoft services that will enthrall users of this phone and make them more likely to choose a WP later?

Personally I say we take off and nuke the entire Nokia x range from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen any evidence that X apps could be transfered to an android device. Apps can only be bought through the Nokia store. It seems to me anyone that will want to upgrade from X will be starting over no matter what platform they choose.

sticitodaman

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It would be kinda funny if Nokia's plan backfired and new users thought: "Hey I kinda like this new android phone, maybe I should save up for a Nexus."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo