Nokia uses Android against Google.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You might be doing users in 3rd world countries a disservice, they may be more tech savvy than you think and just lack the means to acquire better tech. I don't think anyone would argue the iphone hype hasn't reached such countries, they just can't afford to buy them. Yet.

You misunderstand me.

I'm not saying 3rd world countries don't have tech savvy users.
I'm saying that this is not targeted at them. The ecosystem issues are not about them.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
excellent point. hadn't thought of that. how long will the naive last, once they have a 4" portal to the internet in hand ?

It's not about being naive necessarily. Many people just aren't into tech. They're being moved into the smartphone era almost by necessity.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! http://wmpoweruser.com/rooted-nokia...e-platform-for-microsoft-to-differentiate-on/. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! http://wmpoweruser.com/rooted-nokia...e-platform-for-microsoft-to-differentiate-on/. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?

But wait the Nokia x fans and wpcentral will tell us that "this is expected but people in emerging countries won't root"

You know because apparently these people must be dumb in emerging countries /s

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
But wait the Nokia x fans and wpcentral will tell us that "this is expected but people in emerging countries won't root"

Maybe Microsoft can work with the NSA to track the rooted phones and revert them? :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! Rooted Nokia X shows why Android is not the platform for Microsoft to differentiate on | WMPoweruser. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?

We all knew that would happen, but I'm surprised it happened that fast... now the question is what percentage of the population would use that ability? To be fair, one of the primary markets for the Nokia X is China, where the ability to do so is irrelevant, as access to most of Google's servers are blocked by the government.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaaaand already the great Nokia x is rooted and running.......google services! Rooted Nokia X shows why Android is not the platform for Microsoft to differentiate on | WMPoweruser. That's the whole premise of these devices down the toilet, the FIRST thing they did was remove those "popular" MS services. Which they can still get now they have access to the google store. So is anyone still of the belief that this will help introduce users to MS services or lead them to WP?

I was telling a colleague just today that I expect xda to have Gapps flashed to the Nokia X within a few days of release. I didn't expect it quite this quick though! I was actually surprised to hear that sideloading apk's was possible, basically out of the box; I would've thought that Microsoft would have at least attempted to block that.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
We all knew that would happen, but I'm surprised it happened that fast... now the question is what percentage of the population would use that ability? To be fair, one of the primary markets for the Nokia X is China, where the ability to do so is irrelevant, as access to most of Google's servers are blocked by the government.

Then it just shows how iincompetent Nokia and Microsoft are. What a stupid idea to try and sell an OS to promote MS services when that very OS makes its easy to rip out those services. Only in Microsoft's world would this be seen as a viable strategy.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

The people who are the type to root their phones aren't the main target. They are just extra sales.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

And you say that because?...

You like making up ccompletely inept arguments for imaginary adversaries

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was telling a colleague just today that I expect xda to have Gapps flashed to the Nokia X within a few days of release. I didn't expect it quite this quick though! I was actually surprised to hear that sideloading apk's was possible, basically out of the box; I would've thought that Microsoft would have at least attempted to block that.

Not up to MS. This is a Nokia thing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Then it just shows how iincompetent Nokia and Microsoft are. What a stupid idea to try and sell an OS to promote MS services when that very OS makes its easy to rip out those services. Only in Microsoft's world would this be seen as a viable strategy.

I think you mmiss what the strategy is.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes you're technically correct, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had more to do with the Nokia X project than we might think. My personal opinion is that Microsoft was behind it all along. Microsoft had to make sure that Nokia released it before the devices division became Microsoft to save face.

Nokia's strategy is to sell devices. Is that what you mean? A manufacturer couldn't care less what OS is on the device, as long as it sells.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The probability that this is solely Nokia's baby is zero. MS would kill it instantly if they thought it was against their interests, and Nokia wouldn't have followed through with the launch if there was even the slightest chance of MS killing it right after taking over. No company invests the millions required to design and bring such a device to market, if there is no chance of it lasting long enough to recoup those investments.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

The only strategy that seems to be operating here is that Nokia and Microsoft are banking on users stupidity in not knowing how to root and remove their services. If there's a chance that users could be lost to google then to me that is a foolish strategy, better to offer a low cost WP device that will actually run the services these devices are allegedly about with no risk of them being easily replaced and with no google services present gives them almost 100% certainty that MS services are the ones being used.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes you're technically correct, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had more to do with the Nokia X project than we might think. My personal opinion is that Microsoft was behind it all along. Microsoft had to make sure that Nokia released it before the devices division became Microsoft to save face.

Nokia's strategy is to sell devices. Is that what you mean? A manufacturer couldn't care less what OS is on the device, as long as it sells.

Because if the coming aquisition, MS is allowed to work with Nokia even less than before. So I doubt they had any part in this. You're getting into pure conjecture right now. Like conspiracy theories, letting your imagination start to cloud what you see as fact.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The probability that this is solely Nokia's baby is zero. MS would kill it instantly if they thought it was against their interests, and Nokia wouldn't have followed through with the launch if there was even the slightest chance of MS killing it right after taking over. No company invests the millions required to design and bring such a device to market, if there is no chance of it lasting long enough to recoup those investments.
Why do you assume they don't expect to recoup their investment.

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the aquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am saying it because that is what is what people keep saying to me anytime I mention rooting.

In this thread? Because if not, then addressing those people only confuses things in the thread because you are answering completely different points than what is brought up here, and then attributing those points to those who disagree with you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss