Nokia uses Android against Google.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well yes my opinion is pure conjecture. But isn't that true for all of us at this point?
Not purely for all statements.

If we comment ion known news to guess a strategy it is conjecture based on facts.
When we start adding more imaginary facts, then base arguments off those we are starting to veer off and making arguments not based on what is happening, but what could possibly be happening if A, B, and C also happen to be true.

If the person you are not debating does not subscribe to A, B, and C, then you're just arguing against Boone.

It's like if I said that MS wanted to enslave humanity and then based my arguments off that presupposition. You would not be able to have a real discussion with me because my presupposition isn't something that you can accept as trur.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Why do you assume they don't expect to recoup their investment.

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the acquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.

In response to the whole thread, based on the quote above.....

Not to mention the fact that if you were the CEO of the company that had a product you were releasing before said acquisition,
you would want to make as much money off it as you possibly could before the acquisition was completed.

MS could kill it, it would be in their hands and purely their decision to do so. Regardless of what Nokia wanted
unless, it was part of the contract that was signed as part of the acquisition, but I am not sure exactly how common that is, nor would it be a long lasting agreement as part of the contract.
It's like buying into a dying company, but the contract saying you have to keep running with the same business model that is killing it, who in their right mind would do that?
But also, MS would have to follow through for a certain period of time and support the phone, but not forever.
So, MS still could kill it, or they could send out an update that might possibly lock it down. Who knows? No one right now.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Not purely for all statements.

If we comment ion known news to guess a strategy it is conjecture based on facts.

When we start adding more imaginary facts, then base arguments off those we are starting to veer off and making arguments not based on what is happening, but what could possibly be happening if A, B, and C also happen to be true.

If the person you are not debating does not subscribe to A, B, and C, then you're just arguing against Boone.

It's like if I said that MS wanted to enslave humanity and then based my arguments off that presupposition. You would not be able to have a real discussion with me because my presupposition isn't something that you can accept as trur.

Strawman Arguments

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why do you assume they don't expect to recoup their investment.

They are not allowed to act as if they are being bought by MS. If this strategy was started before MS bought them, they need to act independently until the aquisition is complete or face possible regulatory penalties.

I don't assume that they will not recoup their costs. I know that they fully expect to.
We're also completely exaggerating this 'don't talk rule' here at WPC. This relates more to insider trading than anything else. Two companies that have engaged in a strategic partnership can't be forbidden to discuss matters relating to daily operations, and they do.

MS is not allowed to dictate anything, but Nokia can still ask MS' opinion, or ask for legal rights to emulate WP's tile interface. What many seem to be missing, is that MS has been directly involved all along, because some of their services had to be ported over to the Nokia X, particularly the Skype app, proving MS is not only on board, but participating in its development.

Not everything is speculation. Some things are made clear simply due to technical requirements.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm still hoping Microsoft will bin this mess along with the kin come time for this buyout to be completed.

Sorry I hear the arguments people make but its just really makes no sense to me....

My question is what happens when the off chance that I and others were right and this does have a negative impact o. Windows phone....what will the Nokia x fans say then lmao.

Kin was a much better idea than this mess lmfao

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My question is what happens when the off chance that I and others were right and this does have a negative impact o. Windows phone....what will the Nokia x fans say then lmao.

Nothing will happen. WP will keep chugging along, as it always has. WP will still have its customers. Developers will continue to make apps for WP.

As long as WP doesn't suffer a negative growth period, which the Nokia X is very unlikely to single handedly achieve, I don't think we need to worry. It may slow WP's growth, but only due to a subset of people that really wanted a Nokia device, but prefer Android, and were willing to purchase the low-end Nokia X, despite being able to afford a Lumia.. I think these people would probably have left Nokia, and WP, sooner or later anyway.

Running Android apps on WP has the potential to be far more dangerous to the survival of WP than the Nokia X ever will be.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still hoping Microsoft will bin this mess along with the kin come time for this buyout to be completed.

Sorry I hear the arguments people make but its just really makes no sense to me....

I dont think you're making an effort to understand.

You may not agree with the Nokia plan. I'm not sure that I even agree with the plan. But if you fail to truly understand it, then commenting on how you disagree with it just comes across as silly.

How can you agree or disagree with something you don't understand?

Then they try something else.

Kin was a much better idea than this mess lmfao
What was strategy behind Kin? Why did it fail? Why was it a better idea?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I dont think you're making an effort to understand.

You may not agree with the Nokia plan. I'm not sure that I even agree with the plan. But if you fail to truly understand it, then commenting on how you disagree with it just comes across as silly.

How can you agree or disagree with something you don't understand?

Then they try something else.

What was strategy behind Kin? Why did it fail? Why was it a better idea?

Most people haven't seen the Nokia developer conference video from MWC, the first few minutes have Stephen Elop talking about where Nokia X fits in 😉

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing will happen. WP will keep chugging along, as it always has. WP will still have its customers. Developers will continue to make apps for WP.

As long as WP doesn't suffer a negative growth period, which the Nokia X is very unlikely to single handedly achieve, I don't think we need to worry. It may slow WP's growth, but only due to a subset of people that really wanted a Nokia device, but prefer Android, and were willing to purchase the low-end Nokia X, despite being able to afford a Lumia.. I think these people would probably have left Nokia, and WP, sooner or later anyway.

Running Android apps on WP has the potential to be far more dangerous to the survival of WP than the Nokia X ever will be.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. Now that Microsoft will also own a devices division, it's good for them to sell devices regardless of the OS. And in theory I would think that if a device is using Microsoft's services, it makes little difference which OS it has.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss