Switched back to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CypherZ

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say this, but i sold my Nokia Lumia 920 and switched back to Android.
The reason is the lack of original apps and the functionality of Android over WP8.
I know MS is coming with WP8.1 , but in my opinion its too late.
I loved the 920 for its camera, but the apps, come on, for example, last WA update was 10-1-2014 ? Come on the Android version gets updates so much sooner.

I used Android all the time i used a Smartphone, and i tried the switch to WPhone, at first i thought, well it is not a bad system, the camera is great and the build quality is good.
So i checked out the store for apps, well, some are there but most of them are 3rd party apps, which i totally understand cause the original developers wont make them for WP.

Maybe just maybe when WP gets a bigger market share, and the OS has more functionality i come back to WP.
But there is so much to do to make it a OS for the greater audience, i never ever see any advertisement here on TV ( Holland )
No commercials, no newspaper ads, a lot of people here dont even know MS/Nokia make Windows phones.

Let me say this, the WP OS is good, but MS/Nokia really dont care about advertisements, so it will never be known or popular here.
And when its not popular, developers stay away.

Regards!

CypherZ

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
WP 8.1 will change everything
It will change for sure, but like i said if MS isnt going to advertise here in Holland and other countrys people wont buy it.
If they dont know the difference between 8 of 8.1 the change is not going to get them to buy it, they buy an Android of iPhone, cause thats what they see all the time.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumias are advertised all over Jordan (where I live), they are even more advertised than Android phones!! Sorry to hear that you are switching back to Android, what apps made you switch??

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Web browser, that is the one thing I can't stand about WP I'm so used to chrome and dauphin. This is my first windows phone and I really like it so far except for the browser and I've used all of them. I can say the copy and paste can be a lot better as well. Really the only thing Android has over WP is the wide range of customabitily but really most of that can only be had after rooting. I think 8.1 will go a long ways but Microsoft needs to ease up on restraining outside development. That is the one thing that slows down app development and what apps can do. Nokia relax and unlock the boot loader. Let the modders mod and if they brick there phone so be it. I've said this on xda, if MS wants market shares they need to give "value adds" smart stay/pause for example.

most Android apps as well as apple are redundant and useless. The real power is from the rooting and core system modes IE apps that can change status bar, icons, keyboards, buttons and what not, but that all goes back to MS locking out outside development and we all know outside development like people on xda and what not is where most if not all software development happens and why not its free and you have 50,000 or so free bata testers.

Wp is relatively new and people forget how Android was in the beginning it sucked but then again android is open source.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Many people use very specific apps like for trains, planes tickets and bank - financial services and many others but few people use those apps. Most of those specific apps are just missing in WP8 and unlikely to appear anytime soon.

In the other hand to be fair, many people don't like 3rd party apps made for WP, even if works better than first party app, for example: The YouTube apps like Metrotube and others. For me, that's very subjective and kind of unfair to ditch the OS just because of the 3rd party solutions.

CypherZ

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Candy Crush, and, uh... Candy Crush.
I think those hideous Line games too.
And games with invasive advertising.

Well thats not true, i dont have any games on my phone. Dont like games at all.

Examples :
WhatsApp, miles behind the iOS and Android versions
Instagram always in Beta ?
Internet Explorer, why ? I use Linux at home, and want to choose my own browser
Apps to SD : Currently not possible on WP
WPCentral app is Paid on WP ? Why , on Android its free ( to be honest i bought the WP one ! )
Viber : Works 100% better on Android, why ?
Facebook : The Android version is so much better than the one Microsoft makes
Telegram : No official WP version
IMDB : Almost a year old on WP
Chrome : Not available on WP
Google Maps : Not available on WP and its much better than Nokia Maps IMHO

And the list goes on and on.....

Its not true that i dont like 3rd party versions, 6tag for example is awesome, but like i said before, if MS doesnt advertise people dont buy.
If people dont buy it, official developers stay away.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
In the other hand to be fair, many people don't like 3rd party apps made for WP, even if works better than first party app, for example: The YouTube apps like Metrotube and others. For me, that's very subjective and kind of unfair to ditch the OS just because of the 3rd party solutions.
I will never understand why people feel this way about the youtube apps. For me, the inability to "cast" the video to chromecast and the downtime with api changes kills it for me. That along with them taking away ads that make money from some content creators but I know some people don't care about that at all. With very few exceptions (6tag which is awesome), I will take first party apps over anything just because they get the newest official features immediately that come straight from the official source. Thats why I'll always have several other phones in addition to my 925.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say this, but i sold my Nokia Lumia 920 and switched back to Android.
The reason is the lack of original apps and the functionality of Android over WP8.
I know MS is coming with WP8.1 , but in my opinion its too late.
I loved the 920 for its camera, but the apps, come on, for example, last WA update was 10-1-2014 ? Come on the Android version gets updates so much sooner.

I used Android all the time i used a Smartphone, and i tried the switch to WPhone, at first i thought, well it is not a bad system, the camera is great and the build quality is good.
So i checked out the store for apps, well, some are there but most of them are 3rd party apps, which i totally understand cause the original developers wont make them for WP.

Maybe just maybe when WP gets a bigger market share, and the OS has more functionality i come back to WP.
But there is so much to do to make it a OS for the greater audience, i never ever see any advertisement here on TV ( Holland )
No commercials, no newspaper ads, a lot of people here dont even know MS/Nokia make Windows phones.

Let me say this, the WP OS is good, but MS/Nokia really dont care about advertisements, so it will never be known or popular here.
And when its not popular, developers stay away.

Regards!

Sad to see you go. The app situation is true. But many developers and OEM are waiting on MSFT to bring WP8 up to a 15% market share world wide before they develop for WP.

The good news is that WP is on the rise. And will be the fastest growing platform until the year 2018 according to IDC reports.

Checkout the link:
http://www.ibtimes.com/worldwide-sm...-windows-phone-while-android-ios-are-expected

Stay tune maybe will see many more developers and and OEM soon on WP. See you soon back on WP.

Last edited:

SSS86

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm switching back to Android also by this weekend.
I have a 620 now which is awesome. The OS is great with no lag, but its not fully mature yet.
and I don't want to wait for a lot longer for it to mature while I'm missing what Android and IOS is having.
I came from HTC Sensation before, so this is my first try for WP, i'm only 70% satisfied, which is not bad.
Here's are some of my issue with WP :

1. The notification center ; I know its coming in 8.1, but its too late. I need it now.
I know we have live tiles which is cool, but to me, I dont want to waste my start screen with all this live tiles.
I rather have tiles with my family pictures and something more personal. and the endless scrolling for the
start screen make its hard for me to know exactly where's my apps tile is. i know most of you wont agree but
I think we should have pages for the start screen.

2. The live tiles ; I love the concept, but for some apps, the info are at the back, so I have to wait and stare at the
tile for few second before it flip over. What a waste of time.
Also the 30min refresh rate for the live tile? then its not live at all. Android update all the widget live with no problem.

3. Apps ; most of common high profile apps WP have only in 3rd party, which is fine to me. But specific apps for specific
region such as bank and community apps are mostly missing in WP.
Also, my GF and I usually will use one of those apps for couple when I'm still using my HTC before. But now none of
those apps available for WP, and the developer said that they have no plan for WP - for example COUPLE apps.

Mostly I'm satisfied with WP, but I think it will need a couple of year maybe, to be mature as rival.
There is nothing wrong with this as Android and IOS also have this phase when they started up.
I'm really tempting to buy the 1320 but after for about half a year with the 620, those issue I mentioned above
is still bothering me.

Maybe I'll come back later after WP support more apps for my region (Malaysia).
Anyway you guys here have been a bunch of great people with great discussion everytime, I enjoyed it even
I'm barely even joining the discussion. Thanks for the great time guys. See you soon, hopefully!

bricky23

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Why does everyone think that they need to announce it, every time they switch phone os? I have switched back and forth many times. Its just a phone. Do drama needed. Use what you like. No one cares if you switch. Make yourself happy. Life is short.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro