The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-07-2014 07:22 AM
128 12345 ...
tools
    You think people who buy these things care about updates? Those of us who know will simply root (very easy from what I've read) and install either custom ROMS (the Android way of life) or sideload APKs. Either way, they'll be $50 on eBay within 2 months of ownership just like the first wave of Chinese tablets a couple of years ago.
    I got bored installing the latest ROM on my android phones and tablets, I just thought that something i purchased new should work well out of the box and should receive timely updates. I guess it comes with age. I would rather just spend a little more and get a better product. Good luck with your purchase and have fun with your roms and apk's.
    aitt and jleebiker like this.
    06-02-2014 01:43 PM
    I tested the waters like OP by jumping back to android.

I had a mint shiny red Lumia 920 which I sold back in January and then got myself a DROID RAZR M - to cut to the chase, I wish I hadn't done it lol

The problem was android still feels disjointed to me. Not as fluid as WP and the keyboard is not as nice as WP as well (tried a third party keyboard "kiiboard" - while it's better than stock, still not as fluid as WP.).

Feature and app wise android may be ahead of WP - for instance the app selection and customisation - but whatever features WP has, it does it well, I feel.

The app problem with WP is because its the smallest platform. But, here in India WP is supported really well because WP has a strong presence in the budget-mid tier segments.

I am surprised that app gap is more in the US (Microsoft's home market). But as they say necessity is the mother of invention - for all those official apps which are absent in WP, we get to use well made (and mostly better) ones - myTube and 6tag come to mind.

At the end of the day, it does not matter which OS you are on, it only matters whether it works well for your needs.

And as for me? I sold the RAZR M and got myself a Lumia 630. Couldn't be happier! :)
    Last edited by Games Goblin; 06-03-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo
    aitt likes this.
    06-02-2014 01:44 PM
    Apps and updates are the problems with some of these. Even though they may have access to google play, trying to get them to use these apps properly are an issue. For me trying to get a simple ESPN app to stream Monday night football was a joke on anything but a Nexus tablet or an ipad. One has to be ready for some concessions when you buy a cheapo.
    Actually BLUs devices aren't half bad. But of you are buying cheap devices in the first place you obviously don't care about updates.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    06-02-2014 02:40 PM
    I'll never understand choosing a platform because of the apps it offers. lol Yes, if you are one of those that need an app to tell you when to change you underpants, Windows Phone / RT isn't for you.

Just how did our parents make it without an app telling them its time to put us to bed?

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you are being serious? Gosh, how did our parents make it without a Surface 2 (using, how ironic in this context, the APP Tapatalk)? You really mean to dismiss the need for apps based on how a prior generation got by without them? Do you use a TV, listen to music in a digital format or browse the internet? You do realize our parents (at least mine) did not have those either?
    Last edited by bomarco; 06-02-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Beijendorf, tgp, A895 and 3 others like this.
    06-02-2014 03:49 PM
    Just wanna say that HTC W8 has been "leaked". :)
    06-02-2014 11:29 PM
    Just wanna say that HTC W8 has been "leaked". :)
    Let's see if it comes to fruition. There have been a couple phones that have been "leaked" and never came to market or turned out to be fake.

06-03-2014 06:47 AM
    For sh*ts and giggles I loaded Launcher 8 in this phone and got sad. This phone seriously needs to come to wp.

06-03-2014 09:19 AM
    For sh*ts and giggles I loaded Launcher 8 in this phone and got sad. This phone seriously needs to come to wp.

1) What is Launcher 8?
    ​2) Why do you say it needs to come to WP?
    06-03-2014 09:28 AM
    1) What is Launcher 8?
    ​2) Why do you say it needs to come to WP?
    It's a WP8-style launcher for Android devices.
    And, he meant the M8, so if you didn't understand that, it's because the One M8 is a beautiful phone.
    aitt likes this.
    06-03-2014 09:35 AM
    And, he meant the M8, so if you didn't understand that, it's because the One M8 is a beautiful phone.
    Yes and yes. I don't even want the Z2 anymore

06-03-2014 09:51 AM
    An Android can make a better WP than WP!
    Beijendorf likes this.
    06-03-2014 09:52 AM
    An Android can make a better WP than WP!
    No it can't. The whole point of this launcher is because people like the modern style of Window Phone. I like it Launcher 8 cause it gives the phone a better elegant look over Android Launcher. I means that the reason why the made it. I wouldn't go that far. It's still Android no matter what. The Live Tiles alone are unmatched.

sahib lopez likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:08 AM
    No it can't. The whole point of this launcher is because people like the modern style of Window Phone. I like it Launcher 8 cause it gives the phone a better elegant look over Android Launcher. I means that the reason why the made it. I wouldn't go that far. It's still Android no matter what. The Live Tiles alone are unmatched.

Don't you mean in looks? Because functionality wise they are behind in widgets. I think look wise you prefer Windows Phone Live Tiles which is what I notice with a lot of posts when describing iOS and Android.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Beijendorf likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:44 AM
    Don't you mean in looks? Because functionality wise they are behind in widgets. I think look wise you prefer Windows Phone Live Tiles which is what I notice with a lot of posts when describing iOS and Android.

Yeah look wise. The widgets for Android don't come close to the way live tiles work.

06-03-2014 11:00 AM
    Yeah look wise. The widgets for Android don't come close to the way live tiles work.

You mean looks. Android widgets surpasses the ability of live tiles.

06-03-2014 11:03 AM
    To the op, I know you support WP, so go enjoy your M8. It is a great phone, the best Android phone currently, imo. I would be mad if you got a Samsung though. :P
    aitt likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:08 AM
    You mean looks. Android widgets surpasses the ability of live tiles.

I disagree

unstoppablekem likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:11 AM
    To the op, I know you support WP, so go enjoy your M8. It is a great phone, the best Android phone currently, imo. I would be mad if you got a Samsung though. :P
    Lol man I have nothing against Samsung but looking at S5 to this that thing was a joke and ugly.

unstoppablekem likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:12 AM
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Live Tiles are informational plus a shortcut. Widgets are both of those, plus they are interactive. For example, an email widget allows you to scroll through your emails without opening the app. You cannot do a single thing with an email Live Tile other than launch the app.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:25 AM
    I definitely think widgets are far more useful than live tiles. Or they CAN be more useful anyway. I have some Tasker widgets that can control damn near anything I want, whenever I want. If you just use the Weather widget then....well yeah; helpful but not super useful.

Anyway I also have an M8 Rom'd, S-Off, and Rooted.

I am running a custom sense rom with Google launcher (which is AWESOME btw) and a custom icon pack. I also de-bloated my phone completely so it is incredibly responsive.

The Android UI can be as ugly or as pretty as you want it to be. The platform itself can also be as powerful or as useless as you want it to be.

For example; with Tasker + IFTT I could make it so all my HUE lights change colors to red whenever the Bulls score a point. Or I could use a voice plugin so I could use Google search to do the same thing.

After 2 days of playing with my Icon I can honestly say there is a lot of things my HTC One M8 can do; that I can't do with my Icon. The reverse isn't true however. Hence why my M8 is my daily driver.
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:26 AM
    I disagree

Why? Scrollable and interacting with a widget is way more functionality better than live tiles. Lice tiles are only shortcuts and glance information. Widgets are like apps on your home screen all interactive with going in an app.

06-03-2014 11:43 AM
    It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful. Widgets when not organized correctly can be awfully cluttered and ugly and killing space resources. I agree with everything you said about designing the screen. Im very familiar with Android. I don't forsee rooting. I have no desire. I will agree that widgets can be more interactive. But with improvements to 8.1 having Task managers are irrelevant.

06-03-2014 11:47 AM
    It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful.
    Looks aside, a widget at its worst is at least equal to a Live Tile. How can a Live Tile be more useful? It's informational, plus a shortcut. The least of the widgets are that.

Now aesthetically, I'll agree with you there. But that has little to do with usefulness.
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:55 AM
    It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful. Widgets when not organized correctly can be awfully cluttered and ugly and killing space resources. I agree with everything you said about designing the screen. Im very familiar with Android. I don't forsee rooting. I have no desire. I will agree that widgets can be more interactive. But with improvements to 8.1 having Task managers are irrelevant.

See you keep defaulting back to looks, from an objective standpoint, Widgets are more useful whether they look good are always up for debate. Also from the screenshot you can see I can add something from my calendar or to my Google Tasks or turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, sync or brightness level all from a widget no app required, Live Tiles can't do that.But personally since the Android redesign towards a more consistent design language I find holo widgets look pretty clean as well:

Attached Thumbnails 1401814880693.jpg  
    06-03-2014 12:01 PM
    "launcher"... Ok, I think I get it, it is a user interface that mimics the WP look on Droid devices.

M8. Yes, the M8 is a beautiful looking phone. I was just wondering if the poster had any reasons other than just looks. Are there any technical reasons it needs to come to WP, i.e. it has some features that is lacking from any handsets in the current crop of WP devices.
    06-03-2014 12:03 PM
128 12345 ...