Pulled the trigger and got a HTC One M8

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
An Android can make a better WP than WP!

No it can't. The whole point of this launcher is because people like the modern style of Window Phone. I like it Launcher 8 cause it gives the phone a better elegant look over Android Launcher. I means that the reason why the made it. I wouldn't go that far. It's still Android no matter what. The Live Tiles alone are unmatched.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No it can't. The whole point of this launcher is because people like the modern style of Window Phone. I like it Launcher 8 cause it gives the phone a better elegant look over Android Launcher. I means that the reason why the made it. I wouldn't go that far. It's still Android no matter what. The Live Tiles alone are unmatched.

Don't you mean in looks? Because functionality wise they are behind in widgets. I think look wise you prefer Windows Phone Live Tiles which is what I notice with a lot of posts when describing iOS and Android.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't you mean in looks? Because functionality wise they are behind in widgets. I think look wise you prefer Windows Phone Live Tiles which is what I notice with a lot of posts when describing iOS and Android.

Yeah look wise. The widgets for Android don't come close to the way live tiles work.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah look wise. The widgets for Android don't come close to the way live tiles work.

You mean looks. Android widgets surpasses the ability of live tiles.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
To the op, I know you support WP, so go enjoy your M8. It is a great phone, the best Android phone currently, imo. I would be mad if you got a Samsung though. :p

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
To the op, I know you support WP, so go enjoy your M8. It is a great phone, the best Android phone currently, imo. I would be mad if you got a Samsung though. :p

Lol man I have nothing against Samsung but looking at S5 to this that thing was a joke and ugly.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Live Tiles are informational plus a shortcut. Widgets are both of those, plus they are interactive. For example, an email widget allows you to scroll through your emails without opening the app. You cannot do a single thing with an email Live Tile other than launch the app.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I definitely think widgets are far more useful than live tiles. Or they CAN be more useful anyway. I have some Tasker widgets that can control damn near anything I want, whenever I want. If you just use the Weather widget then....well yeah; helpful but not super useful.

Anyway I also have an M8 Rom'd, S-Off, and Rooted.

I am running a custom sense rom with Google launcher (which is AWESOME btw) and a custom icon pack. I also de-bloated my phone completely so it is incredibly responsive.

The Android UI can be as ugly or as pretty as you want it to be. The platform itself can also be as powerful or as useless as you want it to be.

For example; with Tasker + IFTT I could make it so all my HUE lights change colors to red whenever the Bulls score a point. Or I could use a voice plugin so I could use Google search to do the same thing.

After 2 days of playing with my Icon I can honestly say there is a lot of things my HTC One M8 can do; that I can't do with my Icon. The reverse isn't true however. Hence why my M8 is my daily driver.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I disagree

Why? Scrollable and interacting with a widget is way more functionality better than live tiles. Lice tiles are only shortcuts and glance information. Widgets are like apps on your home screen all interactive with going in an app.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful. Widgets when not organized correctly can be awfully cluttered and ugly and killing space resources. I agree with everything you said about designing the screen. Im very familiar with Android. I don't forsee rooting. I have no desire. I will agree that widgets can be more interactive. But with improvements to 8.1 having Task managers are irrelevant.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful.

Looks aside, a widget at its worst is at least equal to a Live Tile. How can a Live Tile be more useful? It's informational, plus a shortcut. The least of the widgets are that.

Now aesthetically, I'll agree with you there. But that has little to do with usefulness.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's all subject to opinion. I personally find Live Tiles more useful. Widgets when not organized correctly can be awfully cluttered and ugly and killing space resources. I agree with everything you said about designing the screen. Im very familiar with Android. I don't forsee rooting. I have no desire. I will agree that widgets can be more interactive. But with improvements to 8.1 having Task managers are irrelevant.

See you keep defaulting back to looks, from an objective standpoint, Widgets are more useful whether they look good are always up for debate. Also from the screenshot you can see I can add something from my calendar or to my Google Tasks or turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, sync or brightness level all from a widget no app required, Live Tiles can't do that.But personally since the Android redesign towards a more consistent design language I find holo widgets look pretty clean as well:

Attachments

• 1401814880693.jpg
    1401814880693.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's a WP8-style launcher for Android devices.
And, he meant the M8, so if you didn't understand that, it's because the One M8 is a beautiful phone.

"launcher"... Ok, I think I get it, it is a user interface that mimics the WP look on Droid devices.

M8. Yes, the M8 is a beautiful looking phone. I was just wondering if the poster had any reasons other than just looks. Are there any technical reasons it needs to come to WP, i.e. it has some features that is lacking from any handsets in the current crop of WP devices.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles sacrifice information for aesthetics. All you have to do is look at the WPCentral App for both platforms. The Android version allows you to scroll through blog posts and update posts right from the widget. However, it looks nowhere near as elegant as WP live tiles.

They both have their Pro & Cons.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Looks aside, a widget at its worst is at least equal to a Live Tile. How can a Live Tile be more useful? It's informational, plus a shortcut. The least of the widgets are that.

Now aesthetically, I'll agree with you there. But that has little to do with usefulness.

That's just the point. Widgets are limited only to what is available. Yes tiles are information but they are tied into the apps better than widgets. What I mean by that is that a dev can tie their information direct into the tile and don't need to make a separate widget. Most widget do not interact any more than live tiles. Yes you can scroll or directly interact. I won't argue with that. But native widgets are horrible unless using a third party widget or launcher. With live tiles I have more information on more tiles from more apps because of the OS design language. That to me is more useful than.

Last edited:

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
"launcher"... Ok, I think I get it, it is a user interface that mimics the WP look on Droid devices.

M8. Yes, the M8 is a beautiful looking phone. I was just wondering if the poster had any reasons other than just looks. Are there any technical reasons it needs to come to WP, i.e. it has some features that is lacking from any handsets in the current crop of WP devices.

No. This phone would be nice look for the ecosystem. On the Android side there's nothing that can be an advantage for WP other than the OS. If the volume button can turn the camera on like it does for the M8 that would solve the lack of a dedicated button for 8.1.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's just the point. Widgets are limited only to what is available. Yes tiles are information but they are tied into the apps better than widgets. What I mean by that is that a dev can tie their information direct into the tile and don't need to make a separate widget. Most widget do not interact any more than live tiles. Yes you can scroll or directly interact. I won't argue with that. But native widgets are horrible unless using a third party widget are launcher. With live tiles I have more information on more tiles from more apps because of the OS design language. That to me is more useful than.

That actually made me think my post above was from a very specific point of view. I could think of a few Apps that I would not use a widget but a live tile would still feed me information that could be beneficial. My Golf GPS App for example. I would never make a widget for it, yet my live tile feeds me my stats.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
That's just the point. Widgets are limited only to what is available. Yes tiles are information but they are tied into the apps better than widgets. What I mean by that is that a dev can tie their information direct into the tile and don't need to make a separate widget. Most widget do not interact any more than live tiles. Yes you can scroll or directly interact. I won't argue with that. But native widgets are horrible unless using a third party widget are launcher. With live tiles I have more information on more tiles from more apps because of the OS design language. That to me is more useful than.

Maybe you are trying the wrong widgets? I definitely know the widgets on Android have been far better in terms of functionality than the live tiles from WP from what I have seen so far.

I have app settings running through x-posed and have my Google search widget visible through my lock-screen. A lot of very pertinent information is locked on here and I can make any voice command from here as well. The widgets can definitely have far more functionality than a live tile.

If you use basic widgets this isn't apparent maybe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos