Are there any good Nokia Here Drive alternatives on Android?

jwballing

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Navigon is a workable alternative but there are issues with it. I just got back from a 1300 mile drive each way. Sometimes it speaks the direction of the road wrong for example it states to take rt 75 south when I am going north. Second there is no directions list to view. Third and this was a big issue on my trip is that even though you still have the maps download the app needs a data connection at starting up. When I did not have a data connection the app on startup would complain that I did not get the application properly and to redownload it. Once I had a data connection issue went away. Big issue for traveling.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Navigon is a workable alternative but there are issues with it. I just got back from a 1300 mile drive each way. Sometimes it speaks the direction of the road wrong for example it states to take rt 75 south when I am going north. Second there is no directions list to view. Third and this was a big issue on my trip is that even though you still have the maps download the app needs a data connection at starting up. When I did not have a data connection the app on startup would complain that I did not get the application properly and to redownload it. Once I had a data connection issue went away. Big issue for traveling.

navigon is very poor, agreed.

the best offline navigation, routing, tracking, geo caching, all in one application I've used so far is locus pro. along with brouter and free vector maps, I have thousands of miles on road, and nearly a thousand miles of road navigated by it alone, in offline mode.

osmand cones close but locus had a lot more functions for my uses.

if I just needed navigation, Sygic would be the one.

locus just kills the others on features and incredible capabilities.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Navigon for many years and prefer it over "Here Drive+" even though it does use the arguably worlds best (off line) Nokia Navteq maps, just as Here Drive+ does. I have the added Navigon Cockpit too. Navigon has directed me properly to project sites all over the USA without the need for internet service. I tried copilot and one other that I can't remember, but always came back to Navigon.

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I tried locus but the interface is not easy like HERE drive? I can't really get it to navigate for city application. Am I missing something? Thanks.

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
OSM maps in general. For a straight main road, why do OSM map add in an "island" or divided road that does not exist in real life. That stupid island or divided road on a straight main road causes OSMAND and similar apps to say turn slightly right even though the road is straight. Such confusion if you are not used to the area!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
OSM maps in general. For a straight main road, why do OSM map add in an "island" or divided road that does not exist in real life. That stupid island or divided road on a straight main road causes OSMAND and similar apps to say turn slightly right even though the road is straight. Such confusion if you are not used to the area!

screenshot ?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
if you like limited features and big buttons, try navigon instead

I disagree with this comment about limited features. I use Navigon and it has all the features I need and many more that I rarely use. As for "big" buttons? I don't think they are too big. Some are bigger than the icons on an apple phone. Take a look and see what you think.

EDIT: The comment above puzzled me so much that I opened Navigon to see if I could figure out what Ohgood was referring to? All the buttons are typical sizes and there are many many features.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this comment about limited features. I use Navigon and it has all the features I need and many more that I rarely use. As for "big" buttons? I don't think they are too big. Some are bigger than the icons on an apple phone. Take a look and see what you think.

EDIT: The comment above puzzled me so much that I opened Navigon to see if I could figure out what Ohgood was referring to? All the buttons are typical sizes and there are many many features.

waypoint guiding?
waypoint navigation?
geocaching?
route editing?
track splitting/merging?
multiple tracks on screen at once?
photo waypoints?
osm maps, topo, hill shading, contours, wms, layering?
nova over lays?
hiking trails from gpsdata?
sharing tracks and waypoints to/from sites like gpsies, dualsportmaps, moyologger, mytracks, and a bunch more?
flight charts?
demographic data overlays?

see, there are basic STREET navigation applications (which are fine for just driving around in a car), and then there are some kickin offline, off road mapping applications that do so much more.

if navigons limited features are enough for you, excellent. :)

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
waypoint guiding?
waypoint navigation?
geocaching?
route editing?
track splitting/merging?
multiple tracks on screen at once?
photo waypoints?
osm maps, topo, hill shading, contours, wms, layering?
nova over lays?
hiking trails from gpsdata?
sharing tracks and waypoints to/from sites like gpsies, dualsportmaps, moyologger, mytracks, and a bunch more?
flight charts?
demographic data overlays?

see, there are basic STREET navigation applications (which are fine for just driving around in a car), and then there are some kickin offline, off road mapping applications that do so much more.

if navigons limited features are enough for you, excellent. :)

ohgood, I think your gps expectations and usage are way beyond most of us!
Most of us are just looking for a Here Drive+ style simple car driving gps on Android.
Smething limited function like copilot, navigon........etc.

If I live in Canada, Navigon North America cost $60 to use?
A Nokia Lumia 520 with here drive+ that has access to world wide maps only cost $55 at Walmart.

I currently have mapfactor and copilot on 14 days trial on my Android. If I travel abit further, I also bring my 520.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
ohgood, I think

1) your gps expectations and usage are way beyond most of us!
Most of us are just
2) looking for a Here Drive+ style simple car driving gps on Android.
Something limited function like copilot, navigon........etc.

4) If I live in Canada, Navigon North America cost $60 to use?
5) A Nokia Lumia 520 with here drive+ that has access to world wide maps only cost $55 at Walmart.

I currently have mapfactor and copilot on 14 days trial on my Android. If I travel abit further, I also bring my 520.

1) maybe so, but the limitations of -only- a driving app make me wonder why anyone would not just use a standalone gps. they're very cheap now, very simple, and some last for a long time on batteries.

2) navigon, sygic, osmand, locus, copilot, bing, googlemaps, OSM, lots and lots of options.

3) skipped because pffft

4) i sympathise , and this is why i say the 'big button' applications are expensive and poorly made. osmand, locus, bcn, and quite a few others can use a miriad of FREE vector maps, or even every map you can access with a regular browser, and download portions as you like. the MAPPING applications that allow for downloading of free vector maps, defining which directory to save things in, and don't have a map lockin (i'm looking at you garmin) to function correctly are so much nicer.

5) that's a bargain for a device. no contract ?

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
1) maybe so, but the limitations of -only- a driving app make me wonder why anyone would not just use a standalone gps. they're very cheap now, very simple, and some last for a long time on batteries.

2) navigon, sygic, osmand, locus, copilot, bing, googlemaps, OSM, lots and lots of options.

3) skipped because pffft

4) i sympathise , and this is why i say the 'big button' applications are expensive and poorly made. osmand, locus, bcn, and quite a few others can use a miriad of FREE vector maps, or even every map you can access with a regular browser, and download portions as you like. the MAPPING applications that allow for downloading of free vector maps, defining which directory to save things in, and don't have a map lockin (i'm looking at you garmin) to function correctly are so much nicer.

5) that's a bargain for a device. no contract ?

I was thinking the other way, that standalone gps are becoming obsolete, relatively low tech device that you leave in your car?
For myself, I am always on the go to places within 1 hour travel time, usually the time that I take the elevator down the office building to parking would give me enough time to set the destination on the phone and go once I hop onto the car.

Plus sometimes online destination search helps you locate the not popular places. If I travel more than one hour, I agree standalone gps makes sense and more reliable, won't crash or drain all the phones battery.

Prepaid phone even if you don't activate it you can still use every feature including gps except calling, I think it is a super deal over standalone gps? AT&T GoPhone Nokia Lumia 520 Pre-paid Phone - Walmart.com

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
google map is so good yet so weak, all you have to do is to go to underground parking lot and you can't even set your destination since no data. I think it is demanding to run as well since it crashes so often, maybe my phone lack of ram (only 1 gb)?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
google map is so good yet so weak, all you have to do is to go to underground parking lot and you can't even set your destination since no data. I think it is demanding to run as well since it crashes so often, maybe my phone lack of ram (only 1 gb)?

Google maps is only the tip of the iceburg. It relies totally on being online, and there are so many applications that do so much more than it , and offline.

Lack of ram isn't the problem. It runs fine on a first generation HTC g1.

skostro

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
You couldn't be more correct about Nokia here drive. I also have an android, (previously had Nokia), w/o a data plan. I have downloaded all the navigation apps (free or paid), available to android users via play store and amazon store. NOTHING and I mean nothing comes close to the Nokia here drive pre-installed app on Nokia phones. Some available android apps start to come close to here drive, but all come up short, very short. If you have never owned or used Nokia here drive, then you will not understand what we're all talking about. I will gladly pay for it when it becomes available for android.
Regards

Lapak Maho

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Funny, as far as I know, nokia here maps (previously known as navteq) with turn by turn navigations has been on android for a long long time,in the form of free navigation softwares by erlinyou corporation

Just install spesific erlinyou navigation apk for spesific countries, they are all free

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss