BlackBerry Passport & Classic

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
No. I'm over physical QWERTY smartphones. I think those devices represent BlackBerry's acceptance of being a niche player in the smartphone market for some time to come.

Of course, they need to focus on their strengths now more than ever, but they have introduced not one but two new physical keyboard devices at a time when they've never been less popular.

I don't see them gaining a significant amount of new customers with these phones, but they have a good shot at keeping their existing customers happy.

As for me, I'm thinking it may be time to move on.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I would never use any device with a physical keypad at this point. I am only interested in touchscreen devices, now that I've used them for over 2 years.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
There are times that I think I miss the qwerty but I think it is more of a nostalgic thing or vanity.

I wouldn't mind if Microsoft bought BlackBerry for their security, and / or enterprise services.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You can't buy security. That must be engineered into the software architecture from the get go. Today, WP is just as secure as BB ever was. If anything still separates WP from BB in that regard, then it is nothing more than brand image.

I'm not sure BB still has anything worthwhile to offer MS besides patents, but those interest many, not just MS.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You can't buy security. That must be engineered into the software architecture from the get go. Today, WP is just as secure as BB ever was. If anything still separates WP from BB in that regard, then it is nothing more than brand image.

I'm not sure BB still has anything worthwhile to offer MS besides patents, but those interest many, not just MS.
what I mean is I want MS to have the strongest presence in enterprise, for mobile, and there a few things in BB I would like to see move to WP such as the hub ar fully integrated BBM mostly.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The display on the BB Passport has me intrigued. I'm mainly with Windows Phone because, with the exception of YouTube, I exclusive use MS services. (That's also what swayed me away from BB in the first place) I don't know of the display would sway me away from my 1520, especially since I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind a 6.5" display. But it definitely has interest, especially with that 4:3 aspect ratio.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes, BlackBerrys' new WTF devices! The Passport is a weird-a** size, and combining the "tool belt" buttons with the BB10 OS on the Classic seems lame. BlackBerry did such a great job on the touch screen keyboards on the Z10 & Z30, why not release new models of these phones? If BlackBerry would fix the mechanical keyboard on the Q10, it's easily the best physical keyboard phone out there. It seems BlackBerry is going in a weird direction with the Passport & Classic, I wouldn't buy either one even if I had stayed with BlackBerry.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry is still the only Mobile OS to have ATO status on DOD networks while others are very restricted on there use. Say what you will about them, they still have some things in a BB device others don't, for one the Hub on a BB10 device is way better than others Notifications panels can only dream of. Unless you actually used a BB10 device, you really shouldn't try to compare a past devices experience with current ones. They are totally different.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes, BlackBerrys' new WTF devices! The Passport is a weird-a** size, and combining the "tool belt" buttons with the BB10 OS on the Classic seems lame. BlackBerry did such a great job on the touch screen keyboards on the Z10 & Z30, why not release new models of these phones? If BlackBerry would fix the mechanical keyboard on the Q10, it's easily the best physical keyboard phone out there. It seems BlackBerry is going in a weird direction with the Passport & Classic, I wouldn't buy either one even if I had stayed with BlackBerry.
The Z30 looks nice. So does the Lumia Icon. Unfortunately, both of those are only available for Verizon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was always intrigued with the LG Intuition because of its 4:3 aspect ratio but the reviews were scathing. I would definitely give the Passport a look. As someone else mentioned already, the Hub is just phenomenal for notifications but I just don't know how long BB will be around. I'm done being on ghost OSes so I'll stay on the sidelines for now.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I was always intrigued with the LG Intuition because of its 4:3 aspect ratio but the reviews were scathing. I would definitely give the Passport a look. As someone else mentioned already, the Hub is just phenomenal for notifications but I just don't know how long BB will be around. I'm done being on ghost OSes so I'll stay on the sidelines for now.

Actually, the Passport has a 1:1 ratio screen; BlackBerry Passport | CrackBerry.com The one cool thing it features is a keyboard you can use gestures on to navigate, not cool enough to make me sell the Icon though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the Passport has a 1:1 ratio screen; BlackBerry Passport | CrackBerry.com The one cool thing it features is a keyboard you can use gestures on to navigate, not cool enough to make me sell the Icon though.

I was referring to the LG. My Spanglish can produce some f'ed up syntax. If memory serves me correct, it's like 1400x1400 or somewhere thereabouts. I've never cared for 16:9 since I never watch movies on a phone or tablet. I have a nice big TV at home to handle those chores. Never understood guys who watch video on their phones and complain about their 55" being too small to watch properly. Did I miss something?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, 16:9 on a "regular" smartphone, gives you screen size, yet keeps it pocketable, 4:3 or 1:1 screens of any size get un-pocketable. The Passport is really a phablet with a keyboard, and I have no desire for a phablet, as it is my Icon is a bit too big as far as I'm concerned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786