Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Man people get so defensive when you say something bad about their phone. Im not going to Android and am generally happy with WP, but I have no doubt in my mind, especially after upgrading to WP 8.1, that his complaints are valid. I have a 920, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that its battery drains very quickly. Maybe its the size of the battery? Like it just wasn't built to handle a more modern OS? If that is the case, then his 930 should be better equipped, but I guess not.

The OS isn't super snappy, buttery smooth, and cleanly designed as many people claim. WP 7 took great advantage of the hardware. It didn't require a lot of power to get things done. This isn't WP 7.

Resuming is miserable and doesn't always works. While I love the shape and size of Live Tiles, there is rarely anything Live about them. There are plenty of apps out there and they suit my needs, but there are some important apps missing. Office is better on iPad than it is on any mobile Windows device. My GPS hasn't caused me any issues, but I actually like the interface of the old Maps app more than Here.

Since upgrading to WP 8.1, I have had a bunch of issues that I never would have thought of before. Sometimes ill unlock my screen and the display is at like 300% zoom. I cant read anything. I have to restart my phone for it to work again. My screen has frozen a few times. My phone gets really hot (though that might just be the 920).

You can deny it up and down, but there are problems. I haven't been on iOS or Android for several years so im not sure how good or bad things are on that side of the fence, but WP REALLY needs to step it up. I am happy with my phone in general, but I cant blame anyone for jumping to a different OS. I would certainly never complain about the OP who isn't just sitting here ******** about WP. He is actually detailing some of the benefits of Android over WP. I can understand why he jumped ship.

Personally I hate Google and refuse to give them a dime for anything, but im not blind to the fact that they provide a more advanced OS.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
How is the browsing experience in Nexus 5..
I mean which offer better browsing experience Nexus or Lumia ?
and
Is Music player is faster or slower compare to WP?
(Browsing & playing Music are features which i used most)

I m also planning to move on from WP.(Probably Nexus 6 or Moto X+1)

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
With Android largely solving its fragmentation issues and moving towards a more cohesive ecosystem with high-quality low-end phones and high-quality high-end phones coexisting for perhaps the first time in Android's history, Windows Phone's raison d'etre is pretty rapidly diminishing.

Windows Phone tried to capture the enthusiast market with the 1020. Didn't work very well.
Had some success with the low-end market but Motorola has absolutely gutted them there with what are frankly better prices and better phones.
Tried to stand out with a cohesive and thoughtful UI. Quickly got co-opted by Apple and Google, and moved away from the original vision, got cluttered and messy.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
and

Chrome Beta is much better than normal Chrome. It's gorgeous (being updated to Material design language) and it's fast.

Music on Android has gone from an Achilles Heal to a real strength now. Google Play Music is just plain awesome.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you on the battery life part. Using my L920 for 5mins would drain it like 10-15%. But after the WP8.1.1 update, it seems to hold up pretty well although not as well as an iPhone.

I'm thinking about switching to Android myself this fall unless MS/Nokia brings in a killer smartphone and fixes many of these issues.

I completely agree with you on the cursor part. Prior to WP8.1 it was working very well I have no idea why they would kill that little round thingy and replace it with the new cursor.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
and

Chrome straight out beats Internet Explorer in features and performance. The Android L version is even better.

Google Play Music even without Material Design is like 10x faster, more polished and has better integration with the lockscreen and notification center/shade. Here are a few photos:

1408377348581.jpg

1408377361820.jpg

1408377372590.jpg

I too have a Nexus 5 and there is no real point of waiting for a Nexus 6, unless you like phablets.

If you have any more questions regarding Nexus 5 or Android in general, message me or maybe the OP. I've had my Nexus 5 for over a month now.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to presume, is there anyone in this discussion with a thorough knowledge of ios and/android who would be up for me messaging questions? About how things I personally find important compare.
Cheers in advance if I get a yes.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I share your frustrations about the 930 except I have no problem with 8.1. I've had one for 5 weeks...4 of which have been passed at the Care Centre awaiting for "stock" so they can replace it. I was just informed I'll have to wait yet another week. Meaning I'll have the phone for over a month and only used it for 1 week.

Needless to say, I've had it with Microsoft's horrible customer service. The phone is plagued with problems and they're too incompetent to get a replacement although the law demands them to.
As soon as Sony puts the Z3 Compact for sale, I'm out.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Chrome straight out beats Internet Explorer in features and performance. The Android L version is even better.

Google Play Music even without Material Design is like 10x faster, more polished and has better integration with the lockscreen and notification center/shade. Here are a few photos:

View attachment 77123

View attachment 77124

View attachment 77125

I too have a Nexus 5 and there is no real point of waiting for a Nexus 6, unless you like phablets.

If you have any more questions regarding Nexus 5 or Android in general, message me or maybe the OP. I've had my Nexus 5 for over a month now.

Thanks! For the screen shot.
Now it's decided that I'll switch to Android.
But I'll buy latest device because that means longer support.

kevin hill3

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I to jumped ship a while ago, to a HTC M7 from my 920 ,I can say nothing bad about the 920 or the OS I was just bored and wanted something new and the newer Windows phones were nothing different from what I had oh sure they had better camera's but in general they were the same phone I was using and they still are the new 930 offers nothing my 920 will not do. So I played with and tinkered with the HTC and it is a good phone and I don't mind Android or Google, Battery life was on par with the 920 I can get a good day and a half out of either phone. I run about 10 to 15 apps that I like and use and one or 2 games and the GPS locator is on on both phones, I don't announce to Facebook were I am but I do use the maps on both phones and sometimes the drive feature, they both have plus and minus points but in general they are about the same. The only new top of the line phone Nokia has kicked out that is different from the 920 is the 1520 and I do like that phone but it is to big for what I do with one, my wife's has one and she loves it and I have used it and I too think it is a great phone, But it is just a bigger 920. I have a Nexus 7 tablet running pure android just like your Nexus 5 phone and it is a great tablet and I do like chrome I run it on my Windows 8.1 desk top and my Dell pro 8 tablet, But I can say I like the HTC sense version of android better. All that being said I went back to my 920 and I use it at least 90% of the time, The Windows OS just feels better to me, works better and is more complete, just not as much fun to play with, but I really don't use it as a toy. I just think the Nokia design is getting tired, I am excited about the new HTC Windows phone it looks great, but wild horses could not drag me back to Verizon, I just hope later they release it to AT&T, I would have it in a heart beat. If my M7 had Windows OS it would be perfect. And I do like Cortana over Google Now, Yes I do have the 8.1 preview on my 920 and are more than happy to wait till I get Cyan update.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I share your frustrations about the 930 except I have no problem with 8.1. I've had one for 5 weeks...4 of which have been passed at the Care Centre awaiting for "stock" so they can replace it. I was just informed I'll have to wait yet another week. Meaning I'll have the phone for over a month and only used it for 1 week.

Needless to say, I've had it with Microsoft's horrible customer service. The phone is plagued with problems and they're too incompetent to get a replacement although the law demands them to.
As soon as Sony puts the Z3 Compact for sale, I'm out.

Jeez, if even the Nokia stalwarts are leaving this might be Windows Phone's last waltz.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've never used IOS or Android so like reading the comparisons and opinions.
@Ian Too transmitting his info to a for profit company? Microsoft isn't doing this out the goodness of their hearts you know ;)

Absolutely, but location info isn't being transmitted at all and MS have given express undertakings that personal information will not be used by Microsoft for targeting advertisements.

Google's whole business plan revolves around targeting advertisements to their users. Microsoft sell software, goods and services. They're two very different companies.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, but location info isn't being transmitted at all and MS have given express undertakings that personal information will not be used by Microsoft for targeting advertisements.

Google's whole business plan revolves around targeting advertisements to their users. Microsoft sell software, goods and services. They're two very different companies.

What on earth are you talking about? Microsoft makes billions a year on ads.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
But the reason I'm posting is a statement above about Nokia quality. I know everyone has different experiences, but I have a generally low opinion in this area, the main exception being I've been amazed at some of the abuse (like, dropping on concrete floors) my Nokia phones have taken and kept working.

But I've had the 520x, whatever T-Mobile sold; a 630 and 635, and have been unimpressed. I know these are all budget phones, but the battery performance has been dreadful. They all go crazy with reboots and browser crashes when I hit certain websites that other phones in my possession handle just fine. The 8.1 developer update made the battery life of my 630 such that the phone is unusable during the course of a normal day (I recognized problems were part of the risk of doing it, so I wasn't outraged or anything, but it was another strike against the device). My new 635 has poor battery endurance as well, and has a bunch of other crazy behaviors I won't go into. And yes, I'm a battery-endurance fanatic so I'm always making sure apps are closed and everything else is optimized.,

I have a 630 which gives me around 22-28 hrs depending on my usage. I don't use HERE maps or bing maps much because of the same reason OP posted here. It is NOT accurate. Sometimes i hate it. But i think i can live with it since the difference is not much when it comes to my area. I don't use cortana or Developer Preview. But there is always 7-10 apps running in the background and still i'm getting that much battery. So i don't know what is wrong with your device man. May be you should get it checked?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to presume, is there anyone in this discussion with a thorough knowledge of ios and/android who would be up for me messaging questions? About how things I personally find important compare.
Cheers in advance if I get a yes.

Dude I study about these OSes as if my life depends on them. XD

Just message me, I will be extremely happy to help.

Thanks! For the screen shot.
Now it's decided that I'll switch to Android.
But I'll buy latest device because that means longer support.

Eh, longer support? Android devices, at least Nexus devices are supported for around 2 years mostly. I hope that's okay?

Though the best part about buying a Nexus is that even when the official updates are done you can easily flash a Custom ROM and be on the latest OS for 4 years or more. :p

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Dude I study about these OSes as if my life depends on them. XD

Just message me, I will be extremely happy to help.

Eh, longer support? Android devices, at least Nexus devices are supported for around 2 years mostly. I hope that's okay?

Though the best part about buying a Nexus is that even when the official updates are done you can easily flash a Custom ROM and be on the latest OS for 4 years or more. :p

4 years? who keeps a smartphone for 2 years?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just don't get these threads. When I moved from iPhone to Windows Phone I didn't go back and unload on it.

Glad you're liking your new phone and that it suits you. Phones are a personal choice.

I think that's a difference between the major iOS communities and this one--if you did this there, you'd absolutely get your head chewed off, and by plenty of people. :grin: Anyone's welcomed to prove me wrong, of course.

I switched from a Dell Venue Pro to a Lumia 925--physically, a great device, and in either 8.0 and 8.1, battery life is perfectly reasonable (nothing bad, nothing great either). I considered going Android (probably HTC, possibly HTC One), but decided against it when I saw how much worse that OS's default music player option was compared to a phone from nearly 4 years ago. Strangely, even WP8.1, with its disappointing Xbox Music app at release time, was still at least as good as Android's music player (slower, but much better information browsing/marketplace integration), and that was a big step backwards from the integrated app!

My phone had to serve as a MP3 player as well, so I went with Lumia 925. I'm content to wait till Xbox Music is tweaked properly before updating again (having used Nokia Recovery Tool).

That aside, if I didn't care about music, I could absolutely see myself having gone with an Android handset (since update fragmentation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be) for the vast ocean of (free) apps.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
...got cluttered and messy.
How so? And I'll follow up your answer to my question; you only make it as cluttered and messy as YOU want to.

BTW, They have not solved their fragmentation issue. Two co workers with an S5 and Note II frequently complain about how shuddery it is when switching apps and scrolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb