08-23-2014 05:00 PM
164 1234 ...
tools
    I agree with you on the battery life part. Using my L920 for 5mins would drain it like 10-15%. But after the WP8.1.1 update, it seems to hold up pretty well although not as well as an iPhone.

I'm thinking about switching to Android myself this fall unless MS/Nokia brings in a killer smartphone and fixes many of these issues.

I completely agree with you on the cursor part. Prior to WP8.1 it was working very well I have no idea why they would kill that little round thingy and replace it with the new cursor.
    08-18-2014 11:26 AM
    How is the browsing experience in Nexus 5..
    I mean which offer better browsing experience Nexus or Lumia ?
    and
    Is Music player is faster or slower compare to WP?
    (Browsing & playing Music are features which i used most)

I m also planning to move on from WP.(Probably Nexus 6 or Moto X+1)
    Chrome straight out beats Internet Explorer in features and performance. The Android L version is even better.

Google Play Music even without Material Design is like 10x faster, more polished and has better integration with the lockscreen and notification center/shade. Here are a few photos:

1408377348581.jpg

1408377361820.jpg

1408377372590.jpg

I too have a Nexus 5 and there is no real point of waiting for a Nexus 6, unless you like phablets.

If you have any more questions regarding Nexus 5 or Android in general, message me or maybe the OP. I've had my Nexus 5 for over a month now.
    D M C likes this.
    08-18-2014 11:57 AM
    I don't want to presume, is there anyone in this discussion with a thorough knowledge of ios and/android who would be up for me messaging questions? About how things I personally find important compare.
    Cheers in advance if I get a yes.
    08-18-2014 12:25 PM
    I share your frustrations about the 930 except I have no problem with 8.1. I've had one for 5 weeks...4 of which have been passed at the Care Centre awaiting for "stock" so they can replace it. I was just informed I'll have to wait yet another week. Meaning I'll have the phone for over a month and only used it for 1 week.

Needless to say, I've had it with Microsoft's horrible customer service. The phone is plagued with problems and they're too incompetent to get a replacement although the law demands them to.
    As soon as Sony puts the Z3 Compact for sale, I'm out.
    Dazzi likes this.
    08-18-2014 12:47 PM
    Chrome straight out beats Internet Explorer in features and performance. The Android L version is even better.

Google Play Music even without Material Design is like 10x faster, more polished and has better integration with the lockscreen and notification center/shade. Here are a few photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1408377348581.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	77123

Name:	1408377361820.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	77124

Name:	1408377372590.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	77125

I too have a Nexus 5 and there is no real point of waiting for a Nexus 6, unless you like phablets.

If you have any more questions regarding Nexus 5 or Android in general, message me or maybe the OP. I've had my Nexus 5 for over a month now.
    Thanks! For the screen shot.
    Now it's decided that I'll switch to Android.
    But I'll buy latest device because that means longer support.
    08-18-2014 01:11 PM
    I to jumped ship a while ago, to a HTC M7 from my 920 ,I can say nothing bad about the 920 or the OS I was just bored and wanted something new and the newer Windows phones were nothing different from what I had oh sure they had better camera's but in general they were the same phone I was using and they still are the new 930 offers nothing my 920 will not do. So I played with and tinkered with the HTC and it is a good phone and I don't mind Android or Google, Battery life was on par with the 920 I can get a good day and a half out of either phone. I run about 10 to 15 apps that I like and use and one or 2 games and the GPS locator is on on both phones, I don't announce to Facebook were I am but I do use the maps on both phones and sometimes the drive feature, they both have plus and minus points but in general they are about the same. The only new top of the line phone Nokia has kicked out that is different from the 920 is the 1520 and I do like that phone but it is to big for what I do with one, my wife's has one and she loves it and I have used it and I too think it is a great phone, But it is just a bigger 920. I have a Nexus 7 tablet running pure android just like your Nexus 5 phone and it is a great tablet and I do like chrome I run it on my Windows 8.1 desk top and my Dell pro 8 tablet, But I can say I like the HTC sense version of android better. All that being said I went back to my 920 and I use it at least 90% of the time, The Windows OS just feels better to me, works better and is more complete, just not as much fun to play with, but I really don't use it as a toy. I just think the Nokia design is getting tired, I am excited about the new HTC Windows phone it looks great, but wild horses could not drag me back to Verizon, I just hope later they release it to AT&T, I would have it in a heart beat. If my M7 had Windows OS it would be perfect. And I do like Cortana over Google Now, Yes I do have the 8.1 preview on my 920 and are more than happy to wait till I get Cyan update.
    Al4video, Timbre70 and Dazzi like this.
    08-18-2014 01:11 PM
    I share your frustrations about the 930 except I have no problem with 8.1. I've had one for 5 weeks...4 of which have been passed at the Care Centre awaiting for "stock" so they can replace it. I was just informed I'll have to wait yet another week. Meaning I'll have the phone for over a month and only used it for 1 week.

Needless to say, I've had it with Microsoft's horrible customer service. The phone is plagued with problems and they're too incompetent to get a replacement although the law demands them to.
    As soon as Sony puts the Z3 Compact for sale, I'm out.
    Jeez, if even the Nokia stalwarts are leaving this might be Windows Phone's last waltz.
    08-18-2014 02:04 PM
    Yeah I've never used IOS or Android so like reading the comparisons and opinions.
    @Ian Too transmitting his info to a for profit company? Microsoft isn't doing this out the goodness of their hearts you know ;)
    Absolutely, but location info isn't being transmitted at all and MS have given express undertakings that personal information will not be used by Microsoft for targeting advertisements.

Google's whole business plan revolves around targeting advertisements to their users. Microsoft sell software, goods and services. They're two very different companies.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    08-18-2014 02:11 PM
    Absolutely, but location info isn't being transmitted at all and MS have given express undertakings that personal information will not be used by Microsoft for targeting advertisements.

Google's whole business plan revolves around targeting advertisements to their users. Microsoft sell software, goods and services. They're two very different companies.
    What on earth are you talking about? Microsoft makes billions a year on ads.
    08-18-2014 02:16 PM
    But the reason I'm posting is a statement above about Nokia quality. I know everyone has different experiences, but I have a generally low opinion in this area, the main exception being I've been amazed at some of the abuse (like, dropping on concrete floors) my Nokia phones have taken and kept working.

But I've had the 520x, whatever T-Mobile sold; a 630 and 635, and have been unimpressed. I know these are all budget phones, but the battery performance has been dreadful. They all go crazy with reboots and browser crashes when I hit certain websites that other phones in my possession handle just fine. The 8.1 developer update made the battery life of my 630 such that the phone is unusable during the course of a normal day (I recognized problems were part of the risk of doing it, so I wasn't outraged or anything, but it was another strike against the device). My new 635 has poor battery endurance as well, and has a bunch of other crazy behaviors I won't go into. And yes, I'm a battery-endurance fanatic so I'm always making sure apps are closed and everything else is optimized.,
    I have a 630 which gives me around 22-28 hrs depending on my usage. I don't use HERE maps or bing maps much because of the same reason OP posted here. It is NOT accurate. Sometimes i hate it. But i think i can live with it since the difference is not much when it comes to my area. I don't use cortana or Developer Preview. But there is always 7-10 apps running in the background and still i'm getting that much battery. So i don't know what is wrong with your device man. May be you should get it checked?
    08-18-2014 02:23 PM
    I don't want to presume, is there anyone in this discussion with a thorough knowledge of ios and/android who would be up for me messaging questions? About how things I personally find important compare.
    Cheers in advance if I get a yes.
    Dude I study about these OSes as if my life depends on them. XD

Just message me, I will be extremely happy to help.

Thanks! For the screen shot.
    Now it's decided that I'll switch to Android.
    But I'll buy latest device because that means longer support.
    Eh, longer support? Android devices, at least Nexus devices are supported for around 2 years mostly. I hope that's okay?

Though the best part about buying a Nexus is that even when the official updates are done you can easily flash a Custom ROM and be on the latest OS for 4 years or more. :P
    D M C likes this.
    08-18-2014 02:47 PM
    You probably just got the wrong phone model for your taste. Change the device not the platform.
    Try the 1520.

Timbre70 likes this.
    08-18-2014 03:23 PM
    Dude I study about these OSes as if my life depends on them. XD

Just message me, I will be extremely happy to help.

Eh, longer support? Android devices, at least Nexus devices are supported for around 2 years mostly. I hope that's okay?

Though the best part about buying a Nexus is that even when the official updates are done you can easily flash a Custom ROM and be on the latest OS for 4 years or more. :P
    4 years? who keeps a smartphone for 2 years?

08-18-2014 03:24 PM
    I just don't get these threads. When I moved from iPhone to Windows Phone I didn't go back and unload on it.

Glad you're liking your new phone and that it suits you. Phones are a personal choice.
    I think that's a difference between the major iOS communities and this one--if you did this there, you'd absolutely get your head chewed off, and by plenty of people. Anyone's welcomed to prove me wrong, of course.

I switched from a Dell Venue Pro to a Lumia 925--physically, a great device, and in either 8.0 and 8.1, battery life is perfectly reasonable (nothing bad, nothing great either). I considered going Android (probably HTC, possibly HTC One), but decided against it when I saw how much worse that OS's default music player option was compared to a phone from nearly 4 years ago. Strangely, even WP8.1, with its disappointing Xbox Music app at release time, was still at least as good as Android's music player (slower, but much better information browsing/marketplace integration), and that was a big step backwards from the integrated app!

My phone had to serve as a MP3 player as well, so I went with Lumia 925. I'm content to wait till Xbox Music is tweaked properly before updating again (having used Nokia Recovery Tool).

That aside, if I didn't care about music, I could absolutely see myself having gone with an Android handset (since update fragmentation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be) for the vast ocean of (free) apps.
    Edward Monagan and Dazzi like this.
    08-18-2014 04:31 PM
    ...got cluttered and messy.
    How so? And I'll follow up your answer to my question; you only make it as cluttered and messy as YOU want to.

BTW, They have not solved their fragmentation issue. Two co workers with an S5 and Note II frequently complain about how shuddery it is when switching apps and scrolling.
    08-18-2014 04:45 PM
    How so? And I'll follow up your answer to my question; you only make it as cluttered and messy as YOU want to.
    Which, ironically, is why all the criticisms of Android's UI up 'til relatively recently were prima facie absurd.

BTW, They have not solved their fragmentation issue. Two co workers with an S5 and Note II frequently complain about how shuddery it is when switching apps and scrolling.
    What you're describing isn't fragmentation, that's lag.

Terminology aside, the issue is Samsung phones. Samsung has become notorious for pumping out bloated, unoptimized garbage. Give the Moto X a try one of these days. Or even the G. A fraction of the specs of a S5 or a Note II and it's a very smooth experience.
    08-18-2014 05:12 PM
    4 years? who keeps a smartphone for 2 years?

TONS of people. Most Europeans do as all devices have an european legal warranty of 2 years. And then people often keep the phones long after the warranty is gone.
    Sonu K likes this.
    08-18-2014 05:30 PM
    TONS of people. Most Europeans do as all devices have an european legal warranty of 2 years. And then people often keep the phones long after the warranty is gone.
    Most of the contract plans here in Australia are for 2 years as well. I had my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years before I upgraded to the Lumina 920 and it's coming up to 2 years old. I gave my iPhone 4 to my sister and she is still using it over 4 years on from it's release. I might have my 920 for a while yet too, I haven't seen anything that interests me apart from the Nexus 5 and I think it's due to be replaced with a Nexus 6.
    08-18-2014 06:39 PM
    WTF have you done :-o
    08-18-2014 06:48 PM
    I have a Nexus 5 - very poor battery life, glitches, crashes! The battery life is certainly weak on Nexus 5. I also have a Xperia Z2 on contract - Android problems still alive and switching apps, opening apps still operate with delays or jerk actions.
    08-18-2014 06:54 PM
    I also find Nexus 5 screen practically useless in daylight and viewing angle.
    08-18-2014 06:58 PM
    "I have a 630 which gives me around 22-28 hrs depending on my usage. I don't use HERE maps or bing maps much because of the same reason OP posted here. It is NOT accurate. Sometimes i hate it. But i think i can live with it since the difference is not much when it comes to my area. I don't use cortana or Developer Preview. But there is always 7-10 apps running in the background and still i'm getting that much battery. So i don't know what is wrong with your device man. May be you should get it checked?"

After having basically the same dismal battery experience with all three Windows 8.x phones that I've owned, I'm past having something "checked." But I recognize others have had better experiences than me. The thing is, after a certain point you don't want to spend anymore time researching all the different ways to maximize, say, battery life -- you just want it to work. I don't have to work as hard to get what I consider reasonable battery life from either the Moto G or the Q10.

Funny thing is, I have a different reaction than you to the HERE maps. It's one of my favorite features of the Windows Phone/Nokia ecosystem.
    08-18-2014 07:06 PM
    I have been on Android since the G1 came out, and switch phones about 4 or 5 times a year. I had an HD7, a 7 somthing on Tmobile, a 920, and recently went from a Note 3 to a Lumia 1520. Then sold the 1520 and went back to the Note 3 and a Gear 2 watch. Just about 2 weeks into that experiment, I realized I really missed WP8.1. Sold the Note 3/Gear 2 and bought another Lumia 1520. I love the damn thing. Camera, speed of camera, the way I can give it one look and see EVERYTHING message, email from 3 accounts, and etc. Love the downloadable maps and don't have any GPS lock issues either. To each his own, really. I love the way WP is shaping up. Now they just need to add a play by folder option to the music player and I'll be happy.
    08-18-2014 07:19 PM
    I have a Nexus 5 - very poor battery life, glitches, crashes! The battery life is certainly weak on Nexus 5. I also have a Xperia Z2 on contract - Android problems still alive and switching apps, opening apps still operate with delays or jerk actions.
    I also find Nexus 5 screen practically useless in daylight and viewing angle.
    Owning a Nexus 5 I have none of the issues you are reporting, multitasking is best in Android providing the most fluid experience there is. Apps open up fast and I've experienced almost zero crashes during my time of use.

The display is also a beast in all conditions, viewing angles are pretty good too and most reviewers agree on this.

Battery life could be improved but it isn't completely terrible. Plus Android L promises to improve battery life by almost 30 to 40% with the new Project Volta, performance will also get better.

But the concerns you have with the Nexus 5 are fake and barely anyone would agree with you.
    Visa Declined, D M C and broar94 like this.
    08-18-2014 07:26 PM
    I have a Nexus 5 - very poor battery life, glitches, crashes! The battery life is certainly weak on Nexus 5.
    Yeah right, whatever you say. That might work if there weren't already at least 3 Nexus 5 owners posting in this thread.
    08-18-2014 07:26 PM
164 1234 ...