08-23-2014 05:00 PM
164 ... 34567
tools
    For the life of me I can't wrap my head around these Android vs. WP threads. The OP has clearly stated a legitimate case of why he felt compelled to switch. It should serve as a notice to all users that there are others who may have a different experience than you do. Instead of bashing him or deriding his decision, we should thank him for his insight and wish him well. There are some folks here who have more direct relationships with devs or even people in the Microsoft camp. Those people should report what they read since I doubt many MS staffers peruse our wonderful forum. Communities are supposed to help each other, not rag each other. Many here complain about iSheep but them people are a tight bunch. I'm certainly not advocating to be anything like them clowns but there is one indisputable truth: there is strength in unity.
    I also appreciate threads like this.

But the Android versus Windows Phone situation is inevitable in threads like this and I often participate in these arguments.

My favorite operating systems are Android and Windows Phone and I point out the benefits and flaws of each of them to people.

But then come the many trolls on this thread who tell the OP that he made a terrible decision, Android is laggy and other stuff like that.

I try to finish the misconceptions in people's minds about either Android or Windows Phone.
    08-19-2014 08:42 PM
    I've been thinking of switching to Android too. Just don't know enough to know if I'll miss WP or not. I like the tiles and not sure if widgets will give me what I personally require.
    As said WP is loosing some of what made it different so the leap isn't so big now.
    You will miss the tiles (the launchers don't even come close). That being said if you like apps you'll love those.
    I'm getting to the point in wishing Microsoft would just make a Android Phone with a WP8 Launcher, Cortana and custom apps that only work on a Lumia Android phone that is only sold unlocked.
    chezm likes this.
    08-19-2014 08:44 PM
    You will miss the tiles (the launchers don't even come close). That being said if you like apps you'll love those.
    I'm getting to the point in wishing Microsoft would just make a Android Phone with a WP8 Launcher, Cortana and custom apps that only work on a Lumia Android phone that is only sold unlocked.
    Im not an app fanatic of any kind, but I kinda agree with you here...its getting tiring.
    08-19-2014 11:16 PM
    The epitome of similar objects with different representations are comparing them. It's innate.
    08-20-2014 12:11 AM
    Fair enough.

Appreciate if you can keep us posted later on, even if you don't use WP anymore.
    08-20-2014 02:06 AM
    Seems like you don't take a lot of pictures, and maybe your country is not made of asphalt and concrete.

Oh, and please tell us what happens when you get bored and decide to download a launcher.

Enjoy your new phone.
    08-20-2014 03:04 AM
    Also kind of feel like a change. Been with WP since 7 first came out, and as I'd previously said they've took away a lot of what made me pick it in the first place for being different. Still looks great and the ability to pin nearly anything (web pages, youtube videos, contacts, songs etc) to the start screen is what makes it a difficult decision.
    Apps? I've had this problem since day one, don't use many but sometimes when an app for a shop or service I use doesn't release a WP version it can be annoying.
    08-20-2014 09:10 AM
    As the OP I am enjoying my Nexus 5. I have attached some screenshots of my desktops to show how the Android version of live tiles (widgets) looks - I think they look pretty nice. Ignore the volume control on screenshot 4 - it just happened to be onscreen when I did the screenshot.

screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-52.jpg screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-58.jpg screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-02.jpg screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-09.jpg
    D M C and Rick_Air like this.
    08-20-2014 10:24 AM
    As the OP I am enjoying my Nexus 5. I have attached some screenshots of my desktops to show how the Android version of live tiles (widgets) looks - I think they look pretty nice. Ignore the volume control on screenshot 4 - it just happened to be onscreen when I did the screenshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-52.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	77379 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-58.jpg 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	77380 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-02.jpg 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	77386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-09.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	77387
    Wow that is some nice customization, I like to keep mine simpler.

1408545547249.jpg
    1408545560008.jpg
    1408545570949.jpg
    1408545581108.jpg
    08-20-2014 10:39 AM
    Lol :) Nice homescreens salmanahmad! For those who aren't familiar with Android adding the 'live' widgets is as simple as holding your finger down on the desktop, selecting 'widgets' and choosing from a list of installed widgets. When you install an app on Android it often installs widgets you can, if you wish, use on your home screens. Mine seems a little over the top but they are all things I use regularly and it is nice to have a snapshot available directly on the homescreen which isn't constrained by a tile.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    08-20-2014 10:46 AM
    Lol :) Nice homescreens salmanahmad! For those who aren't familiar with Android adding the 'live' widgets is as simple as holding your finger down on the desktop, selecting 'widgets' and choosing from a list of installed widgets. When you install an app on Android it often installs widgets you can, if you wish, use on your home screens. Mine seems a little over the top but they are all things I use regularly and it is nice to have a snapshot available directly on the homescreen which isn't constrained by a tile.
    Widgets are also somewhat intractable. But yeah other than that, have you enabled the ART runtime? It really improves performance.
    08-20-2014 10:56 AM
    Yes, have no issues with ART at all. I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and installed the Android L preview on that. Nice. Daren't put it on my Nexus 5 though, being a daily workhorse. The tablet is something I can afford to play around with. I use a Surface as my main tablet.
    08-20-2014 11:02 AM
    Yes, have no issues with ART at all. I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and installed the Android L preview on that. Nice. Daren't put it on my Nexus 5 though, being a daily workhorse. The tablet is something I can afford to play around with. I use a Surface as my main tablet.
    Haha alright but in my experience ART has been very stable.

But other than that, just use this simple trick to improve the responsiveness:

1408547111992.jpg

Turn all animations down to 0.5x, greatly improves day to day performance.
    08-20-2014 11:05 AM
    Wow that is some nice customization, I like to keep mine simpler.

Name:	1408545547249.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	77389

Name:	1408545560008.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	77390

Name:	1408545570949.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	77391

Name:	1408545581108.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	77392
    I keep mine even simpler. screenshot_2014-08-20-10-08-48.png
    Phillip Deackes likes this.
    08-20-2014 11:10 AM
    Excellent thread this. Keep your Android and WP comparisons coming and also the Android screenshots, this is exactly what I was after.
    08-20-2014 11:12 AM
    I keep mine even simpler. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-20-10-08-48.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	753.3 KB 
ID:	77395
    What launcher is that? 😓

So awesome.
    08-20-2014 11:16 AM
    Haha alright but in my experience ART has been very stable.
    I was referring to the new Androil L release to be released in the Autumn. Too many bugs to use on a daily workhorse. I have ART enabled on the Nexus 5 and 7.
    08-20-2014 11:23 AM
    Coming from Windows Phone I feel uncomfortable with so much empty screen space on the homepage, lol!
    08-20-2014 11:24 AM
    I was referring to the new Androil L release to be released in the Autumn. Too many bugs to use on a daily workhorse. I have ART enabled on the Nexus 5 and 7.
    I am familiar with flashing Custom ROMs and such but I am not trying L because I don't want to ruin my suspense. :P

People say that it is much smoother than Kitkat because of 60 FPS animations.

Btw Google boasted something about 8 MP 30 FPS in Android L for Nexus 5, this could mean two things:

8 MP Instant burst shots or 4K recording. :D
    08-20-2014 11:25 AM
    I'm using Nova Launcher - I like the number of unread items on the app icons. I configured it to look as much like the default Google Launcher as possible, apart from getting rid of the omnipresent Google search bar at the top of every homepage.

As a self-confessed geek I love the way you can make Android work how you want it to. If you don't want to do that. the Google phones (Nexus) look great out of the box so it's not like you have to spend any time configuring things. I don't like the way Samsung, HTC etc. customise things so much and put layers on layers to make the homescreen plain confusing.
    08-20-2014 11:30 AM
    What launcher is that? 

So awesome.
    Nova Launcher, icons are Cryten.

Coming from Windows Phone I feel uncomfortable with so much empty screen space on the homepage, lol!
    Yeah, it's definitely a choice. There's just a tendency (that you can see in this thread) to pile stuff onto a homescreen. I'd rather keep my homescreen clutter-free since all the important information I need gets pushed to Google Now or my notifications anyway.
    08-20-2014 11:33 AM
    I am familiar with flashing Custom ROMs and such but I am not trying L because I don't want to ruin my suspense. :P:
    I know what you mean. I used to feel like that when I used iOS - Apple would make the new version available to existing users and you'd just HAVE to install it, then when you got the new iPhone it was just like the same phone, lol.

Yeah, L is really nice - love the new style notifications.
    08-20-2014 11:34 AM
    I'm using Nova Launcher - I like the number of unread items on the app icons. I configured it to look as much like the default Google Launcher as possible, apart from getting rid of the omnipresent Google search bar at the top of every homepage.

As a self-confessed geek I love the way you can make Android work how you want it to. If you don't want to do that. the Google phones (Nexus) look great out of the box so it's not like you have to spend any time configuring things. I don't like the way Samsung, HTC etc. customise things so much and put layers on layers to make the homescreen plain confusing.
    If you still like Google Now you can easily get to it by swiping up from your home button.

Or you could enable Google Now everywhere so you can just say "Ok Google" in any app.

In Android L you'll be able to say Ok Google even when the phone is locked, which is pretty nice.
    08-20-2014 11:44 AM
    The latest version of Nova Launcher supports Google Now in the same way as the Google Launcher. Just say 'OK Google' from a homescreen. Google Now everywhere isn't available yet in the UK :(
    08-20-2014 11:51 AM
    This will sound like a shameless plug...and it sort of is. But anyway, all those who moved to Android from WP, don't forget to check out Nokia's Z Launcher https://www.zlauncher.com/

While it's full blown Android, it has some very good solutions for app organization (you have a list of apps like on WP instead of those pages of icons, for example) and it also keeps a pretty clean interface.

Currently it's in Alpha and Nokia had to close the sign-ups due to the huge amounts of people who were joining in. Nevertheless they open more spots from time to time so just follow them on Twitter or email them with your wish to join in.

( Also, this is the real Nokia...and if you're wondering...yes, they're hiring back a lot of the ex-employees that were fired from Microsoft Mobile. Namely those with skills on Android. You now read this the way you want ;) )
    tgp and Phillip Deackes like this.
    08-20-2014 12:07 PM
164 ... 34567