Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
How so? And I'll follow up your answer to my question; you only make it as cluttered and messy as YOU want to.

Which, ironically, is why all the criticisms of Android's UI up 'til relatively recently were prima facie absurd.

BTW, They have not solved their fragmentation issue. Two co workers with an S5 and Note II frequently complain about how shuddery it is when switching apps and scrolling.

What you're describing isn't fragmentation, that's lag.

Terminology aside, the issue is Samsung phones. Samsung has become notorious for pumping out bloated, unoptimized garbage. Give the Moto X a try one of these days. Or even the G. A fraction of the specs of a S5 or a Note II and it's a very smooth experience.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
TONS of people. Most Europeans do as all devices have an european legal warranty of 2 years. And then people often keep the phones long after the warranty is gone.

Most of the contract plans here in Australia are for 2 years as well. I had my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years before I upgraded to the Lumina 920 and it's coming up to 2 years old. I gave my iPhone 4 to my sister and she is still using it over 4 years on from it's release. I might have my 920 for a while yet too, I haven't seen anything that interests me apart from the Nexus 5 and I think it's due to be replaced with a Nexus 6.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 - very poor battery life, glitches, crashes! The battery life is certainly weak on Nexus 5. I also have a Xperia Z2 on contract - Android problems still alive and switching apps, opening apps still operate with delays or jerk actions.

Chriscom78

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
"I have a 630 which gives me around 22-28 hrs depending on my usage. I don't use HERE maps or bing maps much because of the same reason OP posted here. It is NOT accurate. Sometimes i hate it. But i think i can live with it since the difference is not much when it comes to my area. I don't use cortana or Developer Preview. But there is always 7-10 apps running in the background and still i'm getting that much battery. So i don't know what is wrong with your device man. May be you should get it checked?"

After having basically the same dismal battery experience with all three Windows 8.x phones that I've owned, I'm past having something "checked." But I recognize others have had better experiences than me. The thing is, after a certain point you don't want to spend anymore time researching all the different ways to maximize, say, battery life -- you just want it to work. I don't have to work as hard to get what I consider reasonable battery life from either the Moto G or the Q10.

Funny thing is, I have a different reaction than you to the HERE maps. It's one of my favorite features of the Windows Phone/Nokia ecosystem.

davedsone

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been on Android since the G1 came out, and switch phones about 4 or 5 times a year. I had an HD7, a 7 somthing on Tmobile, a 920, and recently went from a Note 3 to a Lumia 1520. Then sold the 1520 and went back to the Note 3 and a Gear 2 watch. Just about 2 weeks into that experiment, I realized I really missed WP8.1. Sold the Note 3/Gear 2 and bought another Lumia 1520. I love the damn thing. Camera, speed of camera, the way I can give it one look and see EVERYTHING message, email from 3 accounts, and etc. Love the downloadable maps and don't have any GPS lock issues either. To each his own, really. I love the way WP is shaping up. Now they just need to add a play by folder option to the music player and I'll be happy.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 - very poor battery life, glitches, crashes! The battery life is certainly weak on Nexus 5. I also have a Xperia Z2 on contract - Android problems still alive and switching apps, opening apps still operate with delays or jerk actions.

I also find Nexus 5 screen practically useless in daylight and viewing angle.

Owning a Nexus 5 I have none of the issues you are reporting, multitasking is best in Android providing the most fluid experience there is. Apps open up fast and I've experienced almost zero crashes during my time of use.

The display is also a beast in all conditions, viewing angles are pretty good too and most reviewers agree on this.

Battery life could be improved but it isn't completely terrible. Plus Android L promises to improve battery life by almost 30 to 40% with the new Project Volta, performance will also get better.

But the concerns you have with the Nexus 5 are fake and barely anyone would agree with you.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not gonna attack OP, he raises a lot of real issues I've also got with WP. I'm also considering Android for my next move, while I do like a lot about WP, so many things are inconsistent (notifications don't always work, battery is all over the place, camera app is slow, app gap is annoying).

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not gonna attack OP, he raises a lot of real issues I've also got with WP. I'm also considering Android for my next move, while I do like a lot about WP, so many things are inconsistent (notifications don't always work, battery is all over the place, camera app is slow, app gap is annoying).

You really don't know how much the app gap matters until you finally venture back into Android or iOS.

And the app gap isn't the only problem, the quality of apps is as well.

Android and iOS get pretty unique apps based on their capabilities but there is barely anything that WP does that Android and iOS can't.

Just as an example I downloaded two very amazing apps for my Nexus 5 just recently.

1408405861597.jpg

The first app Pocketlock uses the gravity sensor and proximity sensor to automatically lock and unlock your device without you using the power button, it works pretty well and doesn't kill the battery.

1408405870998.jpg

The second app which I have really fell in love with is Snapshot, the concept is simple yet makes my life so much easier.

This app makes opening the camera from sleep a breeze. Basically all I have to do is rotate my phone in landscape and press the power button and my camera opens up in a second or two.

Android has thousands of quality apps and sees applications with so much innovation and functionality that you simply won't find anywhere else.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys enabled Google Now to work from any screen? Still Don't Have Ok Google Everywhere? Try This Simple Trick

I used it for a decent amount of time but since my accent is closer to the British I use English(UK) and English(UK) doesn't allow me to turn Google Now on every screen.

I'm going to move back to English(US) for extended Google Now functionality when Android L arrives because then I'll even be able to use it when the phone is locked! 😀😀😀

ATM when I need to go to Google Now from an app I just swipe up from my home button and it takes me there. It's a bit slower and older but works pretty well.

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has a good run except for the battery. But there are still too many issues lying after a year on WP. My next phone is probably the note 4 or the iphone phablet with the rumor 2915mah battery.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My 920 has a good run except for the battery. But there are still too many issues lying after a year on WP. My next phone is probably the note 4 or the iphone phablet with the rumor 2915mah battery.

I am an Android user, I would fully recommend not going for Note 4. Samsung's UI gets laggy no matter how powerful the specifications. It's going to make you think Android is bad.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you actually like the cursor on WP? I could rarely hit the little circle to move it. 9 times out of 10 I couldn't hit it precisely enough. Android is much better in this regard. Try it and see.

It was simple in 8.0, but since MS changed the behavior of the cursor, it actually is harder to highlight and move about. This, one point I agree with. *sigh

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My gf just downloaded an app on her galaxy 5 that did nothing but slow everything down. It disabled other apps. A virus disguised as an app. That's one of my biggest issues with Android. Her firmware update gave her phone all sorts of bugs. Battery lag and slow running apps. I was trying to navigate around to help since I'm the computer head of the relationship and have owned an Android when Smartphone's first came out but it was so touch intensive. I was completely lost looking for simple info. The notification center had too much stuff and all I could think about was where is data sense, storage sense, common sense (had to) Look, battery lag effects all phones and ecosystems. I'll take a better camera with a slower shutter speed any day. To each their own. I love the smoothness, optically stimulating start screen, and simplicity. I can live with going to the website of my banking institution or not having the trendiest game. I cant blame anyone for choosing a certain OS.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Give it some time and you'll get bored with it too. The same way I am bored with my 1520 now after a month but I still don't wanna go back to my HTC One X android phone because the screen is dwarfed by the 1520. You are just excited because it's new.

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
My gf just downloaded an app on her galaxy 5 that did nothing but slow everything down. It disabled other apps.
I would ask you what the name of the app was, but I don't think you'll be able to tell me. She didn't get it from the Play Store, she would have had to install it from an unknown source, and disabled the protection on her phone.

Okay, I'll go ahead and ask.. What was the name of the app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb