Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around these Android vs. WP threads. The OP has clearly stated a legitimate case of why he felt compelled to switch. It should serve as a notice to all users that there are others who may have a different experience than you do. Instead of bashing him or deriding his decision, we should thank him for his insight and wish him well. There are some folks here who have more direct relationships with devs or even people in the Microsoft camp. Those people should report what they read since I doubt many MS staffers peruse our wonderful forum. Communities are supposed to help each other, not rag each other. Many here complain about iSheep but them people are a tight bunch. I'm certainly not advocating to be anything like them clowns but there is one indisputable truth: there is strength in unity.

I also appreciate threads like this.

But the Android versus Windows Phone situation is inevitable in threads like this and I often participate in these arguments.

My favorite operating systems are Android and Windows Phone and I point out the benefits and flaws of each of them to people.

But then come the many trolls on this thread who tell the OP that he made a terrible decision, Android is laggy and other stuff like that.

I try to finish the misconceptions in people's minds about either Android or Windows Phone.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking of switching to Android too. Just don't know enough to know if I'll miss WP or not. I like the tiles and not sure if widgets will give me what I personally require.
As said WP is loosing some of what made it different so the leap isn't so big now.

You will miss the tiles (the launchers don't even come close). That being said if you like apps you'll love those.
I'm getting to the point in wishing Microsoft would just make a Android Phone with a WP8 Launcher, Cortana and custom apps that only work on a Lumia Android phone that is only sold unlocked.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You will miss the tiles (the launchers don't even come close). That being said if you like apps you'll love those.
I'm getting to the point in wishing Microsoft would just make a Android Phone with a WP8 Launcher, Cortana and custom apps that only work on a Lumia Android phone that is only sold unlocked.

Im not an app fanatic of any kind, but I kinda agree with you here...its getting tiring.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you don't take a lot of pictures, and maybe your country is not made of asphalt and concrete.

Oh, and please tell us what happens when you get bored and decide to download a launcher.

Enjoy your new phone.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Also kind of feel like a change. Been with WP since 7 first came out, and as I'd previously said they've took away a lot of what made me pick it in the first place for being different. Still looks great and the ability to pin nearly anything (web pages, youtube videos, contacts, songs etc) to the start screen is what makes it a difficult decision.
Apps? I've had this problem since day one, don't use many but sometimes when an app for a shop or service I use doesn't release a WP version it can be annoying.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As the OP I am enjoying my Nexus 5. I have attached some screenshots of my desktops to show how the Android version of live tiles (widgets) looks - I think they look pretty nice. Ignore the volume control on screenshot 4 - it just happened to be onscreen when I did the screenshot.

Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-52.jpg Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-12-58.jpg Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-02.jpg Screenshot_2014-08-20-15-13-09.jpg

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Lol :) Nice homescreens salmanahmad! For those who aren't familiar with Android adding the 'live' widgets is as simple as holding your finger down on the desktop, selecting 'widgets' and choosing from a list of installed widgets. When you install an app on Android it often installs widgets you can, if you wish, use on your home screens. Mine seems a little over the top but they are all things I use regularly and it is nice to have a snapshot available directly on the homescreen which isn't constrained by a tile.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Lol :) Nice homescreens salmanahmad! For those who aren't familiar with Android adding the 'live' widgets is as simple as holding your finger down on the desktop, selecting 'widgets' and choosing from a list of installed widgets. When you install an app on Android it often installs widgets you can, if you wish, use on your home screens. Mine seems a little over the top but they are all things I use regularly and it is nice to have a snapshot available directly on the homescreen which isn't constrained by a tile.

Widgets are also somewhat intractable. But yeah other than that, have you enabled the ART runtime? It really improves performance.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, have no issues with ART at all. I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and installed the Android L preview on that. Nice. Daren't put it on my Nexus 5 though, being a daily workhorse. The tablet is something I can afford to play around with. I use a Surface as my main tablet.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, have no issues with ART at all. I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and installed the Android L preview on that. Nice. Daren't put it on my Nexus 5 though, being a daily workhorse. The tablet is something I can afford to play around with. I use a Surface as my main tablet.

Haha alright but in my experience ART has been very stable.

But other than that, just use this simple trick to improve the responsiveness:

1408547111992.jpg

Turn all animations down to 0.5x, greatly improves day to day performance.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Excellent thread this. Keep your Android and WP comparisons coming and also the Android screenshots, this is exactly what I was after.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I was referring to the new Androil L release to be released in the Autumn. Too many bugs to use on a daily workhorse. I have ART enabled on the Nexus 5 and 7.

I am familiar with flashing Custom ROMs and such but I am not trying L because I don't want to ruin my suspense. :p

People say that it is much smoother than Kitkat because of 60 FPS animations.

Btw Google boasted something about 8 MP 30 FPS in Android L for Nexus 5, this could mean two things:

8 MP Instant burst shots or 4K recording. :D

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Nova Launcher - I like the number of unread items on the app icons. I configured it to look as much like the default Google Launcher as possible, apart from getting rid of the omnipresent Google search bar at the top of every homepage.

As a self-confessed geek I love the way you can make Android work how you want it to. If you don't want to do that. the Google phones (Nexus) look great out of the box so it's not like you have to spend any time configuring things. I don't like the way Samsung, HTC etc. customise things so much and put layers on layers to make the homescreen plain confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)