Status
Not open for further replies.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
What launcher is that? 

So awesome.

Nova Launcher, icons are Cryten.

Coming from Windows Phone I feel uncomfortable with so much empty screen space on the homepage, lol!

Yeah, it's definitely a choice. There's just a tendency (that you can see in this thread) to pile stuff onto a homescreen. I'd rather keep my homescreen clutter-free since all the important information I need gets pushed to Google Now or my notifications anyway.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I am familiar with flashing Custom ROMs and such but I am not trying L because I don't want to ruin my suspense. :p:

I know what you mean. I used to feel like that when I used iOS - Apple would make the new version available to existing users and you'd just HAVE to install it, then when you got the new iPhone it was just like the same phone, lol.

Yeah, L is really nice - love the new style notifications.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Nova Launcher - I like the number of unread items on the app icons. I configured it to look as much like the default Google Launcher as possible, apart from getting rid of the omnipresent Google search bar at the top of every homepage.

As a self-confessed geek I love the way you can make Android work how you want it to. If you don't want to do that. the Google phones (Nexus) look great out of the box so it's not like you have to spend any time configuring things. I don't like the way Samsung, HTC etc. customise things so much and put layers on layers to make the homescreen plain confusing.

If you still like Google Now you can easily get to it by swiping up from your home button.

Or you could enable Google Now everywhere so you can just say "Ok Google" in any app.

In Android L you'll be able to say Ok Google even when the phone is locked, which is pretty nice.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
The latest version of Nova Launcher supports Google Now in the same way as the Google Launcher. Just say 'OK Google' from a homescreen. Google Now everywhere isn't available yet in the UK :(

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This will sound like a shameless plug...and it sort of is. But anyway, all those who moved to Android from WP, don't forget to check out Nokia's Z Launcher https://www.zlauncher.com/

While it's full blown Android, it has some very good solutions for app organization (you have a list of apps like on WP instead of those pages of icons, for example) and it also keeps a pretty clean interface.

Currently it's in Alpha and Nokia had to close the sign-ups due to the huge amounts of people who were joining in. Nevertheless they open more spots from time to time so just follow them on Twitter or email them with your wish to join in.

( Also, this is the real Nokia...and if you're wondering...yes, they're hiring back a lot of the ex-employees that were fired from Microsoft Mobile. Namely those with skills on Android. You now read this the way you want ;) )

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to presume, is there anyone in this discussion with a thorough knowledge of ios and/android who would be up for me messaging questions? About how things I personally find important compare.
Cheers in advance if I get a yes.

I can answer most thing about ios, and some about android. I don't mind some messages.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had a 920 since they hit the stores, actually I got mine from an AT&T store that had it the day before release and they foolishly sold me one.

I've been a WP8 ****** who now can't wait to see what new phones will be announced next month so I can jump ship. I won't go back to iOS, so it sort of leaves me in Android waters.

All the complaints from the OP I feel. For me, the best example is the Audible app. I listen to a LOT of audiobooks (my library is over 600 titles) and this app reflects what other apps have that cause WP8 to be a big failure in my book.
  1. Slow interface: Why it is that some apps take 10-15+ seconds just to display the next screen?
  2. Extreme CPU usage: Audible, even when you are not listening to a book, uses a crazy amount of CPU turning a WP8 into a space heater and killing your battery life. I've found this happens with other apps. In fact, the WPCentral app (in the past) has been its space heater generator.
  3. State loss: Want to return to an audiobook where you left off? Good luck. Audible randomly 'forgets' where you last were. Heck, sometimes the app will start playing in a random spot back in time. Audible isn't alone here, there are many apps where I might be using, go to answer a call or text, only to return and find my place has been lost.
  4. Non-existant: Alas, this is the biggest issue with WP8. Not many people care to develop for it. Here's a crazy thing, I'm a mobile app developer and I question if my company's time is worth developing for WP8. That's a problem when MS can't keep a ****** developer.

It goes beyond this though. There are new technologies springing up all over the place. As a developer, I see tons of opportunities with these, yet WP8 isn't close to being supported. It just isn't a platform that is taken seriously by the larger developer community.

And I have to echo the loss of Microsoft moving away from their great ideas. Hubs are/were awesome. They should have been actively developed, not dismantled. Music is worse than the old media hub and I honestly don't need a music, podcast, video, etc... individual suite of apps. I don't want a cluttered screen.

Why does MS constantly trash brilliant ideas?

Then live tiles. Another great idea in theory, works like **** in practice though. So many apps (including Microsoft ones) just don't update their tiles well. It's a common problem I read everywhere. The phone should be smart. If I am in a charger and in WiFi, update often. If I am on the road, update occasionally. Better yet, monitor my usage patterns and update before times I'm likely to check my phone (I always check my phone at lunch for example). But, heck, I'd settle for apps actually updating (which most seem not to unless you run the app).

Microsoft has had years to show the world how it's done. I feel like I've been a beta tester who has only recently gotten releases. And the "fixes" aren't addressing many of the core issues I have with the platform. I really hope that MS manages to get their act together. We need more mobile choices. At this point, I wouldn't recommend a WP8 phone to anyone. :(

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Nicely put. I'm using the new ZLauncher from the part of Nokia not sold to Microsoft. It works so well on my Nexus 5. Interesting that Nokia is doing this.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I've been a beta tester

That's currently my biggest beef with WP. I was all over it back in the WP7 days, anxiously waiting for its release on Verizon. I moved to Android before that happened, and then later I tried WP. But like you, I felt like a perpetual beta tester. I guess Android had advanced enough by that time.

I know that WP would never advance if everyone left for iOS or Android while waiting for WP to mature, but I'm not willing to compromise in the meantime. Kudos to those of you who are! I'll wait outside and make the move when I feel that WP is there. I can't wait!

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I gotta agree, the WP8 Audible app is lacking. I have difficulty getting it to update my library, as you mentioned the battery hit is pretty bad, and you can't change the narration speed! I like to listen to most books at 1.5X or even 3x. I still carry an iPod in addition to my 1020 primarily for Audible. Amazon's support for Windows/Windows Phone has been pretty poor lately so I don't anticipate any improvements anytime soon. I'll likely take a break from WP8 this Fall and check back in next year once devices begin shipping post Threshold.

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I made same move going from 920 back to Android with Galaxy s3. I was happy for 2/3 months when phone started to be laggy and I missed Lumia 920's camera. Sold Samsung and bought another 920. I hope Nexus as a pure google phone would be better.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nicely put. I'm using the new ZLauncher from the part of Nokia not sold to Microsoft. It works so well on my Nexus 5. Interesting that Nokia is doing this.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

That's the only and real Nokia. Which is the lion share of Nokia (they just sold a division to Microsoft) ;) Glad you're enjoying it. Don't forget, they have the forums for feedback and they're building the launcher a lot based on consumer feedback.

As for the reasons Nokia is doing it... For now I'll tell you this: Nokia is hiring (and re-hiring) Android engineers to their Technologies division (the one with the patents). Many talents of the D&S division where also moved there before the closing of the deal with MS. Now I'll let you put the pieces together ;D

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Many talents of the D&S division where also moved there before the closing of the deal with MS. Now I'll let you put the pieces together ;D

You have a cite for that? I doubt it because it would be a clear breach of contract on the part of Nokia. In addition, since you support the "real Nokia" as you have repeatedly mentioned here on WP Central, you would essentially be supporting a company that defrauded a competitor by selling a pilfered asset to Microsoft. Since I don't think Microsoft's attorneys are so asleep at the switch to allow that to occur, I will assume you are full of it unless you provide some documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans