Anyone tried the Windows 8 launcher for android, how does it compare?

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So I'm thinking of switching to the xperia z3 compact because I have a feeling there won't be anymore high end phones with screens smaller than 5" coming out for windows phone, but I really don't like the stock android launcher with its ios-like grid of icons. I was wondering if anyone had tried the windows 8 launcher for android, it looks similar but I can't tell if any of the tiles are actually live at all or if widgets work at all with it. It also doesn't help that most Android users don't understand what live tiles actually do. So have any WP users tried it? Is it good enough to get you through life on android?

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had it on my Note 2. It works pretty well, speed is good most of the time. I had widgets running for Facebook, outlook, and my work email/calendar (via Nitrodesk Touchdown) and all three worked pretty well. The Facebook widget never displayed any updates other than a counter. I did like that it offered larger tile sizes than WP does. The widgets were not as nice looking as the live tiles but still worked OK.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I used it on my GS3 before jumping to WP8 and my current 8XT. If I'm honest, I could see switching back to Android and having my wife run this full time on her phone. There are apps she misses that the Play store had...its a very nice solution.

I'm currently running both phones now, and I can tell you that while I'm fed up with Sprints terrible support of WP8 (no, I won't switch), I could see going to Android but keeping the WP8 flavor full time.

I can't vouch for its stability as I've never used it. (I used Launcher 7 at the time...)

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I ran a Windows launcher on my Nexus 4 for 6 months before I realised that I was running an Android phone. Loved it. One reason I went for a Windows phone. It ran pretty well too. Although not as good as the real thing.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I ran a Windows launcher on my Nexus 4 for 6 months before I realised that I was running an Android phone. Loved it. One reason I went for a Windows phone. It ran pretty well too. Although not as good as the real thing.

Agreed! It is funny how fluid & smooth navigation is in WP. Launcher 8 does its best, but its not quite the same.

I find SwiftKey to be not as good of a keyboard (I make more typing mistakes) than the built in WP 8.1 keyboard...funny how its the little things that make the difference.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've tried Windows 8 launchers, but they are certainly not the real thing! One thing I miss is that the "Live Tiles" in the launcher aren't very live. It would be nice if the launcher could integrate widgets somehow. That would make the tiles live, and actually add functionality since they'd also be actionable. Most Android apps that have data to be displayed have widgets. Maybe there's a technical reason the launchers don't use widgets, IDK.

rantanamo

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
As a new Android user that tried it, its so slow and not smooth. Appreciate WP8.1 and what you have in it. Also, Widgets are so overatted its not funny. When they went away in Windows 8, I didn't miss them at all.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It does not have live tiles that is it.But you get only apps in playstore because it I android with w8 launcher.
From Windows phone

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But I believe microsoft will give android user some form of windows phone launcher with live tiles am sure about it seeing the way they are now doing business.
From Windows phone

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
As a new Android user that tried it, its so slow and not smooth. Appreciate WP8.1 and what you have in it. Also, Widgets are so overatted its not funny. When they went away in Windows 8, I didn't miss them at all.

If your Android phone is slow and not smooth then you bought the wrong phone. I have both the 2014 Moto X and the Nexus 5 and both phones are insanely fast and as smooth as can be. I had the Nokia Lumia 830 and compared to my Android phones it was slow, laggy, jerky, and just generally not as good. I know the Lumia isn't a high end phone like the others, but compared to a Moto G which has the same specs, it still can't keep up.

@OP- The couple of WP8 launchers that are out there look cool, but ultimately don't have anywhere close to the functionality of WP8 and its live tiles. I encourage you to try something different, and experiment with different widgets and such. Android is only a grid of icons if that's how you set it up to be.

This is my Moto X's home screen. I'm using Nova Launcher and the Chronus clock widget. It's not the best looking home screen, but it gives me all my info at a glance, and I can even scroll the widget to see more info-

C5wFlHn.jpg

Check out www.mycolorscreen.com to see some great ideas on what you can do with Android. There are some really creative themes there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb