After Divorcing Microsoft, Nokia Reveals The N1, An Android Tablet Hitting China First | TechCrunch

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7...e-release-date

So much for closing the thread about Nokia returning in 2016 according to Forbes. Seems like they're already about to make a return. I guess we'll see if it's only in the tablet-space or if they'll return to making smartphones as well.

It's an Android L tablet with the Nokia Z launcher. The design is eerily reminiscent of iPads and 8th generation iPhones, and it's manufactured by Foxconn. It also comes with the new USB Type-C.

Display: 7.9" Fully laminated and with Gorilla Glass 3.
    Resolution: 2048x1536
    Processor: Intel 64-bit Atom @ 2.3 Ghz
    Storage: 32 GB
    RAM: 2 GB
    Battery: 18.5 Wh
    Dimensions: 200.7 x 138.6 x 6.9
    Weight: 318 g

It's WiFi only for now. Seems impressive.

Official site: http://n1.nokia.com/

Seems like the Reapers from Mass Effect joined forces with the soundtrack from Inception to make the reveal video:

nokia-n1-tablet.jpgnokia-n1-2.jpgnokia-n1-tablet-4-600x263.jpg
    Last edited by Beijendorf; 11-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    11-18-2014 10:50 AM
    I suspect it may be little more than a badge-engineered Chinese tablet, but I guess we'll see how that goes.

It's nice seeing them using their powerful brand, although I hope it doesn't end up backfiring.
    11-18-2014 11:19 AM
    Quite so. Everything from manufacturing to customer care is handled entirely by Foxconn.

"In addition to the Nokia brand, Nokia is licensing the industrial design, Z Launcher software layer and IP on a running royalty basis to the OEM partner. The OEM partner is responsible for full business execution, from engineering and sales to customer care, including liabilities and warranty costs, inbound IP and software licensing and contractual agreements with 3rd parties."
    11-18-2014 11:31 AM
    The biggest news here to me is that this is the first device to announce with USB Type-C on board. I would never buy this as it has Android, but I am glad to see USB Type-C hit the real world. This in fact why I am glad there are no new flagship Windows Phone devices coming this holiday season as they would omit this connector. I think it is critical that any future flagship from Microsoft have it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-18-2014 01:13 PM
    I don't understand how they're developing hardware already when Microsoft just bought the Nokia hardware division. Can someone explain?
    11-18-2014 05:41 PM
    I don't understand how they're developing hardware already when Microsoft just bought the Nokia hardware division. Can someone explain?
    Microsoft bought the Lumia brand, and I guess the important people that make the phones.

Apparently, there were still designers and engineers left that stayed behind with Nokia. I can imagine that not everyone wanted to go to Microsoft, get transplanted to the US, etc.
    11-18-2014 06:10 PM
    Microsoft bought the Lumia brand, and I guess the important people that make the phones.

Apparently, there were still designers and engineers left that stayed behind with Nokia. I can imagine that not everyone wanted to go to Microsoft, get transplanted to the US, etc.
    This wasn't made by Nokia, it just uses their name. ;)
    11-18-2014 06:12 PM

They didn't get transferred to the US. Microsoft built their own office close to Nokia's headquarters. This was probably made with Nokia's designers in the R&D division, which stayed with Nokia.
    11-18-2014 06:19 PM
    Nokia's own CEO said they wouldn't be making any more phones. That's not a second hand quote from Forbes, that's straight from the horse's mouth. Nothing in these pictures suggests Nokia's design mantra so I'll have to agree with aximtreo's suggestion that this may be a badge-engineered effort. I don't think it's a Chinese job just based on the fact that it's an Intel chip instead of MediaTek.
    a5cent likes this.
    11-18-2014 06:22 PM
    This wasn't made by Nokia, it just uses their name. ;)
    Nokia designed the tablet themselves and wrote the software for it. Apple and some other OEM's don't "make" their own products either.
    11-18-2014 06:48 PM
    We've already got a thread for this here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/and...announced.html

Closed
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-18-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Updated erreneous link
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-18-2014 06:51 PM