WP sales figures may decline because of this phone

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Before i start, i want you to know that this isn't an advert, this isn't a hate speech because I am just as excited as any of you for Windows 10 in the next few days and i'm not switching to Android or anything.

That said, when i saw the specs on this phone, my initial reaction was happy and hurt, all at the same time. Because MS have got some serious challenge ahead.
The Asus Zenfone 2, is probably the most impressive phone ever made this year and the year had just begun. Just on paper alone, this phone blows my mind to a million pieces, and then the price, it is CHEAPER, than an 830, the 2GB ram model is cheaper than a 735!!

Full HD 401ppi
2.3Ghz processor
2/4GB of ram
16/32/64gb models with Full SD slot
5.5 inch display
3000mah battery
Customisable back covers
Double tap to wake, Double tap to lock
13MP back camera
5MP front camera
Starting at $200 unlocked

And the reason why i'm talking about this phone is that MS is currently working on the 1330, we expect it to be released soon, and i'm sorry for being negative but i just feel like the 1330 going to be blown away by this phone. Even the camera on the Zenfone is impressive.
If the rumours of the 1330 are true, that it has a weak SoC400 with a 720p screen, it is absolutely destroyed by the zenfone and i am willing to bet that the 1330 is going to cost more. However, I would be really happy if MS can prove me wrong. I don't want you to think I'm being down on Microsoft, i'm not, i just really want them to amp up their game for what they are about to face.

I think what MS could do at this point is to make a deal with Asus and make a Windows supported Zenfone 2. Otherwise, i really feel this phone is going to take a hit on Windows phone sales figures. I know Asus and MS have a great partnership, i doubt it's hard to get Windows onto the Zenfone 2.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hardware specification don't really mean an awful lot when it comes to Windows Phone; the operating System has been engineered to give a smooth response on all supported hardware. What responds well on a 1520 will also response well on a 520.

Android users make a big deal about hardware because Androids performance is bound to how fast the hardware is.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Android users make a big deal about hardware because Androids performance is bound to how fast the hardware is.
I would never ever want an Android phone and I know what you mean, but this phone makes ME want to try one, just because of how insane the specs are. Not just in Windows phone because even in the land of Android, i feel like, there is no point of getting a flagship Android phone, because of how good this phone is!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would never ever want an Android phone and I know what you mean, but this phone makes ME want to try one, just because of how insane the specs are. Not just in Windows phone because even in the land of Android, i feel like, there is no point of getting a flagship Android phone, because of how good this phone is!
we can see how no specs were seemingly compromised, but what about non-paper things - housing, post-ship support, etc?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How well does WP's performance compare to Android on similar benchmarks such as multitasking? Are there any such tests to prove this?
I wish somebody would take an M8 of each platform and do an exhaustive side by side comparison. For months now we've had the perfect opportunity to test this argument, and yet it's never been done that I know of.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarking isn't a realistic comparision, we know from experience that it's possible to construct OS subsystems that detect and manipulate benchmarking software ("I see you're running a bechmark app, would you like me to overclock the CPU?").

User experience is the only true indicator.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
User experience is the only true indicator.

Exactly! That's why I wish someone would take an M8 of each platform and test them, or even use them for awhile in real life. We've been hearing for a long time that WP is very efficient. Well then, let's prove it! For the first time in history we have both platforms running natively on the exact same hardware.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! That's why I wish someone would take an M8 of each platform and test them, or even use them for awhile in real life. We've been hearing for a long time that WP is very efficient. Well then, let's prove it! For the first time in history we have both platforms running natively on the exact same hardware.

Buy me an android M8 and I'll have a video finished in 7 days :)
I actually had an android M8 and a WP M8 at the same time (tldr already bought the M8 and tried to save money buy purchasing it cheaper on Amazon, didn't realize it was Android). Returned immediately, didn't occur to me to do a side by side.

A side by side would inevitably be imperfect, though. Because you can configure Android however you want, it is always possible to increase its efficiency- it will inevitably win under certain configurations. Comparisons against the stock ROM would be called unfair, which is true: Android has carrier and OEM bloatware WP doesn't. Any task specific benchmark will always be met with "but you didn't use this app!", for both platforms. If only one trial is conducted (as is almost always the case with such things) a one time system process eating up resources could misrepresent general performance, for either platform.

There would have to be at least two comparison videos: WP vs stock android and WP vs generic custom ROM android.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No, too big. Instantly one to ignore.

I don't understand the return to 1980's brick phones.

That's totally subjective. That it's too big for you doesn't mean that there aren't several millions of people out there who consider this to be the perfect size for a phone. I was skeptical about the 1520 before I actually got one. Now I wouldn't want anything smaller than 6".

nomanquadri

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
That's totally subjective. That it's too big for you doesn't mean that there aren't several millions of people out there who consider this to be the perfect size for a phone. I was skeptical about the 1520 before I actually got one. Now I wouldn't want anything smaller than 6".
Totally agree. It's actually the other way around. Since I got my 1520, other smaller phones' size is a problem now. not the 1520's.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Specs don't say ****. Welcome to Windows phone. The 830 is smoother and has a better camera and better build quality.
I love how you arrived at that conclusion when you probably never even held the phone.
Why did you get an 830 then? May as well settle for a 520 because specs dont say sh*t, right?
There are some things you JUST can't get around with lower specs. This phone has more internal memory, higher ppi, MUCH more ram, better ffc, it has a processor that is literally more than twice as fast as that of the 830. Android is known to bog down the overall experience but this phone is so overpowered, i'm sure even the OS wouldn't matter.
A year ago everyone said we didn't need a quad core, a year before that everyone said we didn't need more than 1gb of ram, a year before that we said we didn't need a HD screen.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. It's actually the other way around. Since I got my 1520, other smaller phones' size is a problem now. not the 1520's.

This is one reason why I am not eager to try one, fear of getting used to it. I have the same issue with the 1020. I dare not try the camera, just in case I get spoilt. Sticking with my 920 for now.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is one reason why I am not eager to try one, fear of getting used to it. I have the same issue with the 1020. I dare not try the camera, just in case I get spoilt. Sticking with my 920 for now.

Haha.. Reasonable. But in this case you'll never want to buy anything new. No smartphone, no computer, no car, no nothing. ;)

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I know everyone here knows that the specs don't always mean the phone will run better and say it's not a selling point, but it definitely is. A lot of people getting a smartphone now just buy the phone with the highest specs. It's a marketing tool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb