WP sales figures may decline because of this phone

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone here knows that the specs don't always mean the phone will run better and say it's not a selling point, but it definitely is. A lot of people getting a smartphone now just buy the phone with the highest specs. It's a marketing tool.

It's more than just a marketing tool. Even though specs don't matter much for WP devices - unlike Android - they do matter depending on what you're planning to do with your phone. If you want to be able to play the latest and greatest games, you're better off getting a device with at least 1GB RAM a rather powerful processor. If you're into photography, you will want to buy a device with a great camera.
WP doesn't need high end specs in order to provide a smooth and stable experience, but that's about it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Those are nice specs for a budget device.

Thankfully for us, I don't know if it's possible for WP's marketshare to decline any more than it already has :sweaty:

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! That's why I wish someone would take an M8 of each platform and test them, or even use them for awhile in real life. We've been hearing for a long time that WP is very efficient. Well then, let's prove it! For the first time in history we have both platforms running natively on the exact same hardware.

Only thing comes close I remember to doing those tests were in a challenge , remember Smoked By WindowsPhone ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking how to put this.

I know many people yammer on about how specs aren't important for WP. Regardless how good WP is on low end hardware people will always point out it's low end and that MS puts a premium price on their phones. So you're going to get people looking at two phones, one with damn good specs and one with low end specs.

Now of course that's not the whole picture.

There's user experience. People here are going on about how Android is slow, laggy and buggy. Some users have experienced issues with WP. To state either is perfect is to not tell the truth. Just because your experience is great doesn't mean everyone's is. Then you add the lack of apps and lack of support for apps. I know some 3rd party apps are great but that is not a way to sell someone on your platform.

Being a person who has a WP and has been using Android as a daily driver for sometime. I'm yet to discover what the fuss is all about with how people talk down Android. I have no issues with it and sadly the apps that caused me the most issues were MS apps. Though I still have them.

I like WP. I hope it gets better and that the ecosystem improves with time. Unfortunately it has some way to go and the lack of a good flagship has turned a lot of people off WP.

I've never been a fan of benchmarks personally. There's always debates on the accuracy of them. Sure it gives a baseline but how good is it? I rather wait for a good review of the phone and see what a reviewer says. Still the cost of the phone is ridiculously cheap and appears from first glance to be of decent quality.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have several friends with WP. That has always lead me to question the market share numbers. Anyway, the reason I posted here today was this morning I noticed a friend (that I didn't know had a WP) posted a question on FB about her WP and needed some help. I think there are plenty (of course not IPhone or Android numbers) people out there with WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Being a person who has a WP and has been using Android as a daily driver for sometime. I'm yet to discover what the fuss is all about with how people talk down Android.

It probably stems from a hatred for Google more than anything else. I don't personally feel that way, but I certainly understand why some people do. If Android were somehow handed over to Microsoft and everything would remain exactly as it is, with the exception of everything "Google" in it becoming "Microsoft" such as services and data retention, I believe it would be well accepted here. One thing I'm sure of; its market share would be brought up once or twice... :angel: I don't think current Microsoft fans would have issues with Android's performance or reliability, or usability.

Since this thread is about WP sales anyway; I found an article on Techcrunch from 2011 about Gartner and IDC predictions for the mobile landscape in 2015. Gartner, IDC: Windows Phone To Steal Second Place From iOS By 2015. I find it interesting to look at the actual numbers from several years ago.

IDC's predictions today are more modest, but still fairly aggressive: IDC: Windows Phone to double in marketshare by 2018

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have several friends with WP. That has always lead me to question the market share numbers. Anyway, the reason I posted here today was this morning I noticed a friend (that I didn't know had a WP) posted a question on FB about her WP and needed some help. I think there are plenty (of course not IPhone or Android numbers) people out there with WP.

Not entirely sure where you live, you might just be in an area where it's more popular. I live in the UK where it used to be over 10%, not sure if it still is, I rarely see them in the wild.

3.5% in the US is still a decent number but it's nothing compared to the other two.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hardware specification don't really mean an awful lot when it comes to Windows Phone; the operating System has been engineered to give a smooth response on all supported hardware. What responds well on a 1520 will also response well on a 520.

Android users make a big deal about hardware because Androids performance is bound to how fast the hardware is.

This is crazy talk. Windows Phone is a festival of lag compared to Android.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It probably stems from a hatred for Google more than anything else. I don't personally feel that way, but I certainly understand why some people do. If Android were somehow handed over to Microsoft and everything would remain exactly as it is, with the exception of everything "Google" in it becoming "Microsoft" such as services and data retention, I believe it would be well accepted here. One thing I'm sure of; its market share would be brought up once or twice... :angel: I don't think current Microsoft fans would have issues with Android's performance or reliability, or usability.

Since this thread is about WP sales anyway; I found an article on Techcrunch from 2011 about Gartner and IDC predictions for the mobile landscape in 2015. Gartner, IDC: Windows Phone To Steal Second Place From iOS By 2015. I find it interesting to look at the actual numbers from several years ago.

IDC's predictions today are more modest, but still fairly aggressive: IDC: Windows Phone to double in marketshare by 2018

Well that 2015 is unlikely to happen unless there's a big shake up on WP this year with apps and hardware. As for 2018 that's fairly optimistic but considering MS has really moved much in the last few years it's questionable.

I have opinions about all corporations and my trust level with all of them is the same regardless. Yes Google is the 'bad guy' at the moment but MS had that crown at one point. No corporation should be trusted by any stretch it's up to you to choose what you think is best.

I'm not overly concerned by Google personally.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Here in a fairly rural place in India I see at least 5+ lumias a day(mostly 520). And almost half of my friends (about 9 to be precise) already own one.
So it would seem the market share here much higher than any were else. Also everyone who owns a Samsung Galaxy is planning to never get a Samsung again...

Coming back to the topic, I think Zenfone 2 will define the phones of 2015 and will start a chain reaction in the midrange like Xiaomi did last year with Redmi 1S only that Zenfones have a further reach and are not limited to online only flash sales...
I will get myself one when it comes out, not as a replacement for my WP but for my Nexus 7 :)

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Nice specs for a budget device, but I don't think specs matter too much for WP users..

Specs vs price matters. Makes the price of an 830 seem way out of line. If the 635 can go as low as $39, we should see an 830 for $239. The new asus line might slap a little reality into the competition if it starts to sell.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I wish somebody would take an M8 of each platform and do an exhaustive side by side comparison. For months now we've had the perfect opportunity to test this argument, and yet it's never been done that I know of.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Michael Fisher at Pocketnow actually did a very good comparison between the Windows and Android HTC One M8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uElFYfeHQ

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Before i start, i want you to know that this isn't an advert, this isn't a hate speech because I am just as excited as any of you for Windows 10 in the next few days and i'm not switching to Android or anything.

That said, when i saw the specs on this phone, my initial reaction was happy and hurt, all at the same time. Because MS have got some serious challenge ahead.
The Asus Zenfone 2, is probably the most impressive phone ever made this year and the year had just begun. Just on paper alone, this phone blows my mind to a million pieces, and then the price, it is CHEAPER, than an 830, the 2GB ram model is cheaper than a 735!!

Full HD 401ppi
2.3Ghz processor
2/4GB of ram
16/32/64gb models with Full SD slot
5.5 inch display
3000mah battery
Customisable back covers
Double tap to wake, Double tap to lock
13MP back camera
5MP front camera
Starting at $200 unlocked

And the reason why i'm talking about this phone is that MS is currently working on the 1330, we expect it to be released soon, and i'm sorry for being negative but i just feel like the 1330 going to be blown away by this phone. Even the camera on the Zenfone is impressive.
If the rumours of the 1330 are true, that it has a weak SoC400 with a 720p screen, it is absolutely destroyed by the zenfone and i am willing to bet that the 1330 is going to cost more. However, I would be really happy if MS can prove me wrong. I don't want you to think I'm being down on Microsoft, i'm not, i just really want them to amp up their game for what they are about to face.

I think what MS could do at this point is to make a deal with Asus and make a Windows supported Zenfone 2. Otherwise, i really feel this phone is going to take a hit on Windows phone sales figures. I know Asus and MS have a great partnership, i doubt it's hard to get Windows onto the Zenfone 2.

A slightly asymmetric view of things:
1] ASUS makes plenty of Windows stuff - PCs, tablets etc.
2] The phone you mentioned runs on Intel SoC
3] Most of MSFT software runs on Intel hardware

Ergo,
IF MSFT is smart about seriously sticking it to Android, they should take the specs on this Asus Zenfone and put in their PureView 20MP in the back and the Lumia 735 selfie camera in the front and start selling this at $229 directly on every single microsoftstore.com website they have in the world. And if they are really serious about their chops in the mobile business they should announce this on Jan 21 along with Windows 10 with the phones starting to sell on Feb 21.

This would assure everyone that they are serious in this game and are not afraid of rolling the dice. This so called affordable flagship would basically shred anything else to smithereens simply because WP runs so well as an OS.

Just my 2 cents.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Michael Fisher at Pocketnow actually did a very good comparison between the Windows and Android HTC One M8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uElFYfeHQ
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one! It didn't really answer my questions though, or the claims that WP runs lighter than Android. Even battery life was mentioned in passing, but no definitives. Performance differences were not addressed at all.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb