WP sales figures may decline because of this phone

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Nice specs for a budget device, but I don't think specs matter too much for WP users..

Specs don't matter for WP users? Well probably but how do u get more WP users?
When a new user in the market who's open to buying either android or WP sees the Zenfone 2 and then looks at the similarly priced 730 which one is he more likely to pick up?
That's why u need specs because it will make a world of difference when it comes to luring in new users.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone, remember when the Moto G would instantly wipe out Windows Phone? Then the Moto E? Then the OnePlus One? Now this phone? Yeah... good times...

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone, remember when the Moto G would instantly wipe out Windows Phone? Then the Moto E? Then the OnePlus One? Now this phone? Yeah... good times...

OP didn't say it will wipe out Windows phone, he said it would cause the sales to decline...
Besides all 3 phones phones u mentioned are a lot different from this one.
Moto G- It wasn't that much more powerful than its competitors and had the same 1gb ram. Besides it was let down by a terrible camera and lack of expandable storage.
One Plus One - It was killed due to the invite system and the lack of availability. Besides its priced $350(at least here in India) and for that price u do have similarly specd phones.
Moto E- It wasn't much better than a 520 to begin with. Sure it had 1gb ram(so did 525) but no flash and FFC makes it quite similar to the lumias of the range.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
OP didn't say it will wipe out Windows phone, he said it would cause the sales to decline...
Besides all 3 phones phones u mentioned are a lot different from this one.
Moto G- It wasn't that much more powerful than its competitors and had the same 1gb ram. Besides it was let down by a terrible camera and lack of expandable storage.
One Plus One - It was killed due to the invite system and the lack of availability. Besides its priced $350(at least here in India) and for that price u do have similarly specd phones.
Moto E- It wasn't much better than a 520 to begin with. Sure it had 1gb ram(so did 525) but no flash and FFC makes it quite similar to the lumias of the range.

Haha then you don't remember the threads. Many people legitimately said that Windows Phone is over because of the Moto G and Moto E. Either way, that wasn't the point. The point is that there is no one phone that it going to cause Windows Phone to decline making threads like this seem rather silly to me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one! It didn't really answer my questions though, or the claims that WP runs lighter than Android. Even battery life was mentioned in passing, but no definitives. Performance differences were not addressed at all.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

I don't know about performance, but Verizon's website says the M8 for Windows lasts 21 hours compared to 12 hours on the Android version.

HTC One M8 | Verizon Wireless

HTC One M8 for Windows | Verizon Wireless

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Haha then you don't remember the threads. Many people legitimately said that Windows Phone is over because of the Moto G and Moto E. Either way, that wasn't the point. The point is that there is no one phone that it going to cause Windows Phone to decline making threads like this seem rather silly to me.

Didn't it decline? The latest reports said WP declined in most places compared to the same time in 2013...

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one! It didn't really answer my questions though, or the claims that WP runs lighter than Android. Even battery life was mentioned in passing, but no definitives. Performance differences were not addressed at all.

Here you go the battery life test rating on both. And yep it does prove that WP is a lot more efficient than android.
gsmarena_001.jpg
gsmarena_002.jpg

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Here you go the battery life test rating on both. And yep it does prove that WP is a lot more efficient than android.
View attachment 93775
View attachment 93777

Yes this has been around since M8 with WP was released. It shows that the WP uses less battery in certain scenarios, provided it's accurate. But battery life says nothing about performance. I can take my family vehicle and get a lot better fuel economy by simply driving slower. This was also done with a newer version of WP than Android. Lollipop, which is reportedly imminent, will probably even it up. Then WP10 might pull WP ahead again.

I'm talking more about performance. Which one opens Facebook quicker? My phone is in my pocket, and I want to place a call. With which one can I do it quicker? Which one opens the browser and loads a web page faster? And, all these things can affect battery life in the real world. If I can do tasks quicker with one than the other, the screen is on less. That in itself will save battery. These questions have not been answered. This is what I'd like to see.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sales dropped on ALL platforms when iPhone 6 and 6 Plus dropped but somehow, Sammy, Microsoft, LG, HTC and the like, continue to put phones on the market. Not because the iPhone had specs but it offered a different OS experience and a larger screen. It has ApplePay too but that is another post. Bottom line is, the only people a phone buying handsets with high end specs are those that know specs and that's it. That crowd is a minority of people buying smart phones and not the majority. I promise you. Most are not that deep with it.
I also suspect this is one reason Microsoft isn't going 24/7 high end is because the majority of buyers will NEVER use all it can do and will only be confused by the feature set. Experience kinda tells them that.

For instance, ask the average GS4 owner to show you how to get the phone the change web pages by blinking there eyes. Ask them if they ever use the hand swipe to change web pages. The GS4 has that feature but no one I know ever uses it and most can't set up its facial recognition to unlock the phone and most can't place a widget. Just because you have a "smart" phone doesn't make the owner smart anymore than a tennis racquet makes you a shoe-in for Wimbledon.
There will be no mass exodus from WP because another phone has specs 10 people out of 100 think they can't live without. If they go. they are leaving for a different OS experience, not phone specs.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Every time some good phone is coming out for another platform we get one of these threads about how WP is doomed.
On the flip side, every time there's WP update or new device coming we hear how sales will take off.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Uhh... It lacks hype words. I'd take the HTC One over this thing. There are tons of Androids out there that look better, and have more power. WP8 hasn't really lost share to those.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Uhh... It lacks hype words. I'd take the HTC One over this thing. There are tons of Androids out there that look better, and have more power. WP8 hasn't really lost share to those.

I think u live in a carrier subsidised phone market otherwise u wont have said this.
In case u haven't noticed Zenfone 2 costs just $200 unlocked, thats pretty much 1/3rd the price of M8,Note 4, Nexus 6 etc...
This phone is for the developing markets like India were WP is doing well and this phone is thus a direct competitor to 535,730, Moto G2 and the likes.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't really see how the Zenfone 2 is any better than a Lumia 1520 for practical use, and the 1520 is dated now. Nothing really stands out, the 1520 has yet to be taxed by anything or run slowly, plus the camera is better, I prefer WP over Android, and I question the screen-- if it's not IPS I wouldn't be interested. I'll never have another AMOLED device again, it's nice not worrying about burn-in.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't really see how the Zenfone 2 is any better than a Lumia 1520 for practical use, and the 1520 is dated now. Nothing really stands out, the 1520 has yet to be taxed by anything or run slowly, plus the camera is better, I prefer WP over Android, and I question the screen-- if it's not IPS I wouldn't be interested. I'll never have another AMOLED device again, it's nice not worrying about burn-in.

Um, this phone isn't priced to compete with the 1520... It's not a flagship. It's to tackle the mid to low end spectrum of the market.

That's why there's comparisons on this thread with mid and low end WP devices.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The other thing about all this spec in a yet untested phone, who knows how durable it will be? How does it perform in arid climates? Cold climates? How does it fair if dropped? Does it hold a wifi or data signal as you expect? Who knows but we are to quiver just because of spec? If it doesn't run WP 10 why worry?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)