Sad day: BlackBerry only sold 1.6 million phones last quarter

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry announces Q4 Fiscal 2015 Results | CrackBerry.com

Wow, this is pretty bad. I hadn't realized that BlackBerry had gone this low. According to their recent earnings report, they only sold 1.6 million phones to consumers. That's BLU levels of sales, folks. I had really hoped that BlackBerry could've made it through, but their CEO recently said that they need to sell 10 million per year to keep the hardware business, but at this rate, we probably won't see a Passport 2.

On a slightly bright note, they did make a tiny profit of $76 million, but that's mainly due to the $115 million sale of Rockstar patents. Without it, they would still be in the red.

Last edited:

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry announces Q4 Fiscal 2015 Results | CrackBerry.com

Wow, this is pretty bad. I hadn't realized that BlackBerry had gone this low. According to their recent earnings report, they only sold 1.6 million phones to consumers. That's BLU levels of sales, folks. I had really hoped that BlackBerry could've made it through, but their CEO recently said that they need to sell 10 million per year to keep the hardware business, but at this rate, we probably won't see a Passport 2.

On a slightly bright note, they did not a tiny profit of $76 million, but that's mainly due to the $115 million sale of Rockstar patents. Without it, they would still be in the red.

Very soon there could be a liquidation of assets and maybe MS could buy it and make blackberry exclusively as A business phone with windows 10 and a qwerty keyboard

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Very soon there could be a liquidation of assets and maybe MS could buy it and make blackberry exclusively as A business phone with windows 10 and a qwerty keyboard
Unfortunately, I don't see any other company having success with a product that is a failure for the current company.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's really sad seeing them go. They have much better and more mature OS then WP but then again the app gap is the culprit.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they continue making phones as well. I really liked the BB 9000 and 9700. I also joined these sites originally because of CrackBerry.

More competition is always good for consumers, and also improves innovation.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They better not croak, vastly underrated phones IMO.

EDIT: I could actually switch, but this Z10's battery is kinda bad. Not really keen on carrying its 2-3 spares around.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
So sad indeed, glad I moved on to Windows Phone. BlackBerry was a great innovative company, my original BlackBerry, the 7290 blew me away with what it did and how well it worked. Now I jump over to Crackberry to see the car crash progress.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It's been more than just a sad day for Blackberry. At this point I wouldn't begrudge them dropping out of the smartphone market. Fortunately their other businesses should prove to be more profitable. Damn shame if they do. I quite like the concept and design of the Passport.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.... Wow, it's worse than I thought. I thought the 1.6 million was BB10 phones, but that number also includes BB7 too (as in, a basically deprecated OS, as there aren't going to be any new developments for it. Similar to WP7).

Thankfully, a dedicated BlackBerry fan went through the trouble of going through various earnings reports and has figured out that there were only 870,000 BB10 phones sold. That's sad. I wouldn't be surprised if Yezz sold more than that.

BlackBerry sold in 7 million devices in FY2015 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

What's worse is that sales appear to be going down. RIP BB10.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.... Wow, it's worse than I thought. I thought the 1.6 million was BB10 phones, but that number also includes BB7 too (as in, a basically deprecated OS, as there aren't going to be any new developments for it. Similar to WP7).

Thankfully, a dedicated BlackBerry fan went through the trouble of going through various earnings reports and has figured out that there were only 870,000 BB10 phones sold. That's sad. I wouldn't be surprised if Yezz sold more than that.

BlackBerry sold in 7 million devices in FY2015 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

What's worse is that sales appear to be going down. RIP BB10.

I'm liking and thanking you for including the detailed statistics.

I'm not liking the sales decline.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe it is better for consumers to have more options, and I don't like when products disappear, since that encourages competitors to be complacent.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Damn!
I would buy a full touch BB10 flagship device, if only they go for it. There is no suitable replacement for Z30 as of now.
Or I would buy a Z30 just for the sake of it.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking and thanking you for including the detailed statistics.

I'm not liking the sales decline.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe it is better for consumers to have more options, and I don't like when products disappear, since that encourages competitors to be complacent.
There are three options on the market... Android, IOS and our lovely Windows Phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Flagship yes but attractive? Maybe for a few because its has not sale a lot.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
I think it would be attractive to folks who like physical keypads.

Granted, I believe that BB10 is more geared toward touchscreen, since it is a gesture-based OS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I like rooting for the underdog, I'll admit it. Actually, I'm just a glutton for punishment since I like BB OS10, WP and webOS. I was one of those 1.6 million when I got my Passport. It's unique, if not dorky looking. It's only 1/4" wider than my 1520 so it's not such an imposing brick in my hands. I could go on a lengthy review but for me it just boils down to BlackBerry Blend. It's such an awesome feature that no one else has and it's the kind of thing WP needs. Not the Blend, just an incredible "nobody else has it" feature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99