Potential switch to Android

Vinit Pratap

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm too looking to give android a try for some period and get back a windows 10 phone after using for max a year may be. So I'm not looking for an high end but a decent mid ranger(Lenovo A7000 in looking at you) also I've no carrier bounds in my country.
I've never owned any android phone and my geeky mind wants to play with it :p even though many android friends come to me bragging with their laggy phone with stone age software lol but phones with stock android(like nexus, Moto and even Android one certified phone) runs smooth.
( plz do tell me if my post seem overtaking your thread/issue)

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess you should better stay with windows...as for high end device...yes it's coming soon with Windows 10...and about Android...it's a real Lagdroid, no matter how high end is the phone. You are so gonna miss the smoothness and fluidy windows OS unless you are a light user. Heavy users...too much pressure for Android...!!!

Wrong. An oft uttered fallacy around these parts. Having used the Nexus 5 and recently 6 as my daily drivers, I can assure you that the OS is just as smooth as WP, but also, much quicker.

That's not to say that there aren't some janky apps around, Chrome being the most high profile offender, but there are plenty of WP apps that have performance issues too - scrolling micro-stutters and flickering being faults that have been present on all (high-end) Lumia devices that I've owned.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm too looking to give android a try for some period and get back a windows 10 phone after using for max a year may be. So I'm not looking for an high end but a decent mid ranger(Lenovo A7000 in looking at you) also I've no carrier bounds in my country.
I've never owned any android phone and my geeky mind wants to play with it even though many android friends come to me bragging with their laggy phone with stone age software lol but phones with stock android(like nexus, Moto and even Android one certified phone) runs smooth.
( plz do tell me if my post seem overtaking your thread/issue)
I haven't experienced lag on my Moto X or Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One plus one is a good option too but the invites are an issue

If anyone needs an invite, I just got 2 of them for the 64GB model. They expire tomorrow, April 11, 2015. Alternatively you can now order every Tuesday without an invite, but I don't know if orders from invites have priority or not.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
OnePlus One will not work on Sprint. Nexus 6 works on Sprint, I am not sure about Nexus 5. Moto X I believe is available for Sprint and is a very good device. The camera is a bit so so and so is the battery life but the battery will last a day and with the right experience the camera does produce reasonable enough shots. Good luck. A used 2013 Moto X on Sprint can be had for really cheap. Check the link below. And then you can upgrade to a nice Win10 device (if it comes out for Sprint). Good luck.

Buy Moto X (Sprint) in US > Swappa

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
OnePlus One will not work on Sprint. Nexus 6 works on Sprint, I am not sure about Nexus 5. Moto X I believe is available for Sprint and is a very good device. The camera is a bit so so and so is the battery life but the battery will last a day and with the right experience the camera does produce reasonable enough shots. Good luck. A used 2013 Moto X on Sprint can be had for really cheap. Check the link below. And then you can upgrade to a nice Win10 device (if it comes out for Sprint). Good luck.

Buy Moto X (Sprint) in US > Swappa

You're correct that the OnePlus One won't work on Sprint. It's GSM only. The Nexus 5 does however works on Sprint. And you're also correct about the Moto X 2013's camera; it's marginal at best. My wife had one. She got very good battery life with it though; definitely above average. She one time got a little over 8 hours screen on time.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't see anyone who decided to transition to Android suffering from a lapse in performance or functionality. A lot of my friends are avid Android users and are completely satisfied. They complain about issues with that OS like we complain about Windows. I know for me, I just love the UI experience the Windows phone provides. It's that simple. It's layout is nice, and neat and clean. I don't have to swipe through five screens, or go through tons of apps that are preloaded that I don't even know what they're for to find the ones that I think I'm looking for, all the widgets. I love the simplicity of the start screen on Windows phone telling me what's going on, making my inquiries minimal. Most of my friends that use android are still heavily immersed in MSFT services which I've gotten three to consider Windows phones. Then there's tablets and laptops and Xbox. With live streaming between Xbox and Windows 10, it'll be interesting to see what those who own Xbox's will do who own tablets or laptops with other OS's.
All in all, from a functionality standpoint, you won't experience any disappointment, but from a cosmetic standpoint, I'm pretty sure you'll miss the UI interface.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello, to make a long story short I'm on a "family plan" and we are switching to Sprint to save money. I had every intention of staying with Windows but they only have low end devices. I had iPhones for years and find my Windows phone far superior with the app exception, but that's not as big of a deal to me. I don't want an iPhone so that leaves Android. In fairness, I know nothing about how Androids operate. Any feedback from someone with experience on both platforms would be appreciated. I am pretty brand loyal to windows and own a surface pro 3, Xbox one, and the band, but now that Microsoft has made all there software available for Apple and Google, will I really be missing out on much? I should still be able to auto sync docs etc., correct? Thank you! And please leave the Sprint sucks portion of any argument out. It works fine where I live and work, friends have them. I'd most likely be getting an S6, but I love my windows phone...

As long as you stay away from the low end Android devices you will be fine. Some people here will say lag whenever you mention Android and it simply is not true anymore, except with the bargain bin devices.

FWIW though, if I was committed to switching to Sprint, I would go with an iPhone. It is not the Android hardware to which I object, it is Google and the enhanced data mining. To each their own though on that front.

BTW, I would also check Sprint's family plan terms very closely before making any switch. There are reasons why they are falling behind everyone in market share. You also will be tied to Android and iPhone for the duration since the likelihood of a high end WP on Sprint is probably just a bit better than the earth having a catastrophic asteroid collision anytime soon.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I've just come off a 'test run' with a Z3 Compact to see how Android has been/changed since I started using Windows Phone. It really depends on what you value in your device... I could simply not stand the way Android uses Widgets, the App Drawer, the Notification pulldown... It's all just so very busy to me. Every app wants to have their icon in the top bar, for every little action.

Then there is the bloatware. Yes, you can mod Android to your liking most of the time, but it takes a bit of effort and know-how as well, sometimes at the risk of losing warranty or bricking your device. The Z3 Compact came with 3 pages/screens full of apps installed. Once all the bloatware was removed I was left with about 1 to 1,5 pages. Add the Google tracking, which in my opinion is not the lesser of the two Evils (MS & Google).

I can't handle anything else but Windows Phone anymore :p. I'm not even being a ******, it just suits me best. I would seriously consider the iPhone instead of an Android device. It's a bit more consistent and a nicer experience overall in my opinion.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I use WP as my daily driver because I can pretty much do everything I do on a regular basis in one screen. If I need to get to a specific app I do that but that might be one or twice a week. With iOS and Android that is simply not possible. Perhaps on a tablet but not on a phone in one screen. And I have gone through pretty much every device on every ecosystem in the last 14 odd months....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello, to make a long story short I'm on a "family plan" and we are switching to Sprint to save money. I had every intention of staying with Windows but they only have low end devices....

I hope you don't think switching to Sprint is going to save you anything, especially under that cut your bill in half prank they are running. There are some details they didn't tell you about and won't tell you until you actually begin to do business.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
If I was going to Sprint, and I wanted a no contract phone to wait on WP flagship possibilities, I'd buy a Galaxy S3 or S4. The S3 is old, but very capable, and can be had for about $75 for Sprint. An S4 is very good, with a great screen and processor, and can be had for less than $150 on Sprint. Just depends on what you want to spend.

I have AT&T, but have not had a contract on a phone in years. It's just not worth it.

edit: Android is not as bad as it is made out to be around here. I had 5 MS Outlook accounts on mine prior to coming over, and it worked seamlessly. I have had all the biggies, and I like WP best. Android is good though. I pretty much don't like iOS very much.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You could buy a used phone off swappa for Sprint to tie you over until W10 phone comes out.. The question is, will Sprint carry W10 phones? Sprint has been the worst supporter of the 4 major US carriers with regard for Windows Phones. I left Sprint in Jan, because I hated Sprint's lack of support for w10 and other carriers had better service around my area. I am a very happy HTC One M8 Windows owner now. You might be able to get a Verizon unlocked HTC One M8 Windows device activated on Sprint (both CDMA carriers). You'd have to look to make sure they handle the same frequency bands, though.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you had your hands on a Galaxy S6 yet. NOTHING Lagdroid on that phone. Smooth as butter.
My son just got his today. I'll see whats up this evening. But on the butter thing, most androids are smooth up until you load it up with apps. I have the M8 for work and it was smooth when I got it. Now, not so much. My daily driver, Lumia 1520 never missed a beat.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Of course, a sucker has to know what you decide..... Let us know!!

By the way, if I was going to move to Sprint, I would just find a used Samsung Ativ S Neo to tied me over until the right flagship comes out. It has gotten it's 8.1 update and is not a bad phone.

But if that isn't an option- and Apple is off your radar- stay away from low end Android. I am with everyone that Nexus devices are the best options and if you can get one, do it. The lack of skins helps with so many aspects of an OS, which is why both the iPhone and WP run "smoother", even if modern Android devices are very good. If not a Nexus, than roll with a top end device with 4 core goodness in it's processor. Keep an eye on your background tasks, and you will enjoy it just fine until something top end comes to Sprint.

Also- no you will miss nothing in the Windows experience. MS has done a very good job getting their services to run well on Android devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa