Potential switch to Android

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, to make a long story short I'm on a "family plan" and we are switching to Sprint to save money. I had every intention of staying with Windows but they only have low end devices. I had iPhones for years and find my Windows phone far superior with the app exception, but that's not as big of a deal to me. I don't want an iPhone so that leaves Android. In fairness, I know nothing about how Androids operate. Any feedback from someone with experience on both platforms would be appreciated. I am pretty brand loyal to windows and own a surface pro 3, Xbox one, and the band, but now that Microsoft has made all there software available for Apple and Google, will I really be missing out on much? I should still be able to auto sync docs etc., correct? Thank you! And please leave the Sprint sucks portion of any argument out. It works fine where I live and work, friends have them. I'd most likely be getting an S6, but I love my windows phone...

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess you should better stay with windows...as for high end device...yes it's coming soon with Windows 10...and about Android...it's a real Lagdroid, no matter how high end is the phone. You are so gonna miss the smoothness and fluidy windows OS unless you are a light user. Heavy users...too much pressure for Android...!!!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You'll not miss out on much. As you say, MS has made their services available (and with better experience) on the other OSes.
​As for waiting for a Windows 10 for Phone flagship, nothing's been announced. There's no rumours, leaks, nothing.

ohoy

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Im planning to buy sony xperia z3 compact.. Im tired of waiting for the update and a new affordable flagship!!!!
Stupid microsoft.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess you should better stay with windows...as for high end device...yes it's coming soon with Windows 10...and about Android...it's a real Lagdroid, no matter how high end is the phone. You are so gonna miss the smoothness and fluidy windows OS unless you are a light user. Heavy users...too much pressure for Android...!!!
The only two Windows Phones currently available for Sprint are the Lumia 635 and the Samsung ATIV S Neo. The 635 is not a high-end device, and the ATIV S Neo is almost 2 years old.

If the OP is taking a contract at this point in time, due to switching carriers, I wouldn't recommend either device. It doesn't sound like he or she can wait for Windows 10, since it will not be available until summer or fall.

Using an unlocked device is not an option. Sprint is a CDMA carrier, so the only devices that can be used on the Sprint network are those branded to Sprint.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Your Android (Snapdragon800+) will work smooth and should never randomly reboot. Microsoft apps are super good, even more appealing. Apps load at super speed compared to Windows Phone and there is tons of other features you'll love. Lag only appears when you don't handle your phone too friendly (having tons of apps open, heavy work, etc) Apps are actually real time and not paused. Of course it can **** you of at some times, but same stands for WP. If you would like I could provide you useful .apks for your Device like Google launcher for relatively best experience.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/themes-apps

That's my experience.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Android on a phone and on a tablet to try something different. I cannot provide specific advice about Samsung devices, since I don't have one. However, I can tell you that Microsoft apps work great on Android devices. Please see my review here on Android Central: A Long Time Microsoft User Tries Android: Guess What? It?s Great! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Interesting read, if a little depressing because every app except xbox music is better on Android than Windows Phone. But I guess this is the new Microsoft where all their services will be available across all platforms.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read, if a little depressing because every app except xbox music is better on Android than Windows Phone. But I guess this is the new Microsoft where all their services will be available across all platforms.
Hopefully the Microsoft apps for Windows Phone will be better once Windows 10 is official. I'd like to think I'm beta testing these apps while using Android, so that Microsoft will be able to get all the bugs worked out for Windows 10.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, to make a long story short I'm on a "family plan" and we are switching to Sprint to save money. I had every intention of staying with Windows but they only have low end devices. I had iPhones for years and find my Windows phone far superior with the app exception, but that's not as big of a deal to me. I don't want an iPhone so that leaves Android. In fairness, I know nothing about how Androids operate. Any feedback from someone with experience on both platforms would be appreciated. I am pretty brand loyal to windows and own a surface pro 3, Xbox one, and the band, but now that Microsoft has made all there software available for Apple and Google, will I really be missing out on much? I should still be able to auto sync docs etc., correct? Thank you! And please leave the Sprint sucks portion of any argument out. It works fine where I live and work, friends have them. I'd most likely be getting an S6, but I love my windows phone...

most of the androids are rubbish to be honest(atleast here in india).Only the flagships from samsung,the nexus,moto g's x and e's,htc and maybe asus and barnes and noble are great.Most of the OEM's make money by data mining(Common in india).If you wanna buy an android,you can get a great one for 300 dollars.Its better to buy an unlocked windows phone and use sprint in it.If you still want android one plus one is an option,but you need an invite

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
.Its better to buy an unlocked windows phone and use sprint in it.
That is not possible. CDMA carriers here in the US use databases of IMEI's, MEID's, ESN's. Any device that is not listed in the database as having their own branding will not be activated on their network. One cannot use any other carrier's devices on Sprint.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
That is not possible. CDMA carriers here in the US use databases of IMEI's, MEID's, ESN's. Any device that is not listed in the database as having their own branding will not be activated on their network. One cannot use any other carrier's devices on Sprint.

oh sorry,i didn't know the telecom regulations in the US.Here there is no single sim CDMA phone,the dual sim ones have one sim for CDMA but i dont think it would work in US due to the different telecom bands.Switching to another network with the same number is easy here its only 50 INR(less than a dollar) and 7 days

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the feedback. The guy at the Sprint store mentioned something about getting Verizon phones re-flashed by third party "phone stores" and that they would then work, but it sounded pretty shady. What's the word (trend) with market share? I believe there's been good improvement overseas but for the lower end devices. A big part of me wants to stick it out for some sort of "Surface Phone" that holds its own against any top of the line product on the radar, but I'm not sure they will devote the resources needed to really make something that has the "wow" factor that is needed to convince the average consumer (and phone salesman for that matter) to consider it. I think all of the talent at Microsoft is devoted to the W10 rollout, with the phone portion of W10 being a much less relevant component. I would love to hear if anyone disagrees. Thanks again!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the feedback. The guy at the Sprint store mentioned something about getting Verizon phones re-flashed by third party "phone stores" and that they would then work, but it sounded pretty shady. What's the word (trend) with market share? I believe there's been good improvement overseas but for the lower end devices. A big part of me wants to stick it out for some sort of "Surface Phone" that holds its own against any top of the line product on the radar, but I'm not sure they will devote the resources needed to really make something that has the "wow" factor that is needed to convince the average consumer (and phone salesman for that matter) to consider it. I think all of the talent at Microsoft is devoted to the W10 rollout, with the phone portion of W10 being a much less relevant component. I would love to hear if anyone disagrees. Thanks again!

Phone stores ? Maybe means flashing new ROMs onto the phones. Xda-developers is the site for this. Easy done

Anyways I do too agree that I want to see something such as Surface phone :) as hard as it is I still feel the Windows advantages in the future.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Yup they must have meant flashing a ROM.A freind of mine patched a phone by reliance CDMA to run MTS CDMA.He paid ₹300 for it.

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've used Android,iOS and WP over the years and always end up back on WP. But that doesn't answer your question.
I find modern Android devices to be a lot better than they used to be. The OS is a lot smoother than people make out and it does have a massive amount of personalisation available for it. You don't need to spend a fortune on good handsets, the Moto G springs to mind, and the apps work.
The flipside of Android is some awful, awful budget devices (Samsung Galaxy Ace 4, I'm looking at you) and some terribly built firmwares.
Some people are making positive noises about the newer Blackberry stuff, but I haven't used one so can't comment, I'm sure someone else can.
The best advice I have is do your research, read reviews, check out handsets, take advantage of any return periods you might have and most importantly, get the handsets you and your family like and want, not what the salesman gets a bonus on.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, you should play a stalling tactic.

Get a decent, no bloat Android like the Nexus 5 with decent hardware. It will be on Lollipop and you can root it easy. Then customize your UX via Xposed Framework and dial it in. Great support, low price, fun and easy to mod without a cumbersome "skin" getting in your way.

Then, if and when Sprint gets a high end WP you want just trade up.

Second choice would be a Moto X... But I really believe Nexus is the way to go if you have to go Android.

I drove a Nexus 4 daily for quite some time. The Nexus series are fast, flexible and hold their value well.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I've used Android,iOS and WP over the years and always end up back on WP. But that doesn't answer your question.
I find modern Android devices to be a lot better than they used to be. The OS is a lot smoother than people make out and it does have a massive amount of personalisation available for it. You don't need to spend a fortune on good handsets, the Moto G springs to mind, and the apps work.
The flipside of Android is some awful, awful budget devices (Samsung Galaxy Ace 4, I'm looking at you) and some terribly built firmwares.
Some people are making positive noises about the newer Blackberry stuff, but I haven't used one so can't comment, I'm sure someone else can.
The best advice I have is do your research, read reviews, check out handsets, take advantage of any return periods you might have and most importantly, get the handsets you and your family like and want, not what the salesman gets a bonus on.

And CIQ is the biggest problem in android

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
IMHO, you should play a stalling tactic.

Get a decent, no bloat Android like the Nexus 5 with decent hardware. It will be on Lollipop and you can root it easy. Then customize your UX via Xposed Framework and dial it in. Great support, low price, fun and easy to mod without a cumbersome "skin" getting in your way.

Then, if and when Sprint gets a high end WP you want just trade up.

Second choice would be a Moto X... But I really believe Nexus is the way to go if you have to go Android.

I drove a Nexus 4 daily for quite some time. The Nexus series are fast, flexible and hold their value well.

The nexus 5 and CM12 are a great combo.Trade it when a high end phone comes on sprint.One plus one is a good option too but the invites are an issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium