New book about Blackberry fall

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Tough to cite BGR for anything un-iPhone related but I'm sure the book will be fair. The same arrogant attitudes at the CEO level are directly responsible for the demise of Nokia, HP/Palm and likely even Sony.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Tough to cite BGR for anything un-iPhone related but I'm sure the book will be fair. The same arrogant attitudes at the CEO level are directly responsible for the demise of Nokia, HP/Palm and likely even Sony.
I think the HP/Palm debacle goes even deeper. That actually involved fraudulent dealings, rather than plain arrogance.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Didn't really take a book to tell this very short story. RIM sat back on their collective laurels while Apple carved and charted a new and different path for cell phones and named them "smart phones". Microsoft was also found flat footed to some degree.
Buying Apple's vision of a smart phone was linked with ipod and its success and cool points making the owner feel instantly all of the above; real or imagined. When the dust settled, RIM couldn't pay the rent anymore. End of story.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Didn't really take a book to tell this very short story. RIM sat back on their collective laurels while Apple carved and charted a new and different path for cell phones and named them "smart phones". Microsoft was also found flat footed to some degree.
Buying Apple's vision of a smart phone was linked with ipod and its success and cool points making the owner feel instantly all of the above; real or imagined. When the dust settled, RIM couldn't pay the rent anymore. End of story.
Oh no, you're dead wrong. RIM answered the bell immediately with an iPhone-killing device called the Storm. If you believe that I have a mint, one-owner bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh no, you're dead wrong. RIM answered the bell immediately with an iPhone-killing device called the Storm. If you believe that I have a mint, one-owner bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

I remember that "advance" in technology. The phone that wanted to give touch screen buttons a click when pressed. lol. Yeah, those scientists had a winner when they released that one. Reminds me of the Kyocera Echo. The phone that would allow you to text and surf the net at the same time. Say what? Like driving while changing a flat tire. It had a huge promotion in NY and landed on the clown prince of cell carriers, sprint. The Echo lasted at least 3 weeks before EOL was announced. The only phone with a quicker EOL than the Microsoft Kin. lol.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I remember that "advance" in technology. The phone that wanted to give touch screen buttons a click when pressed. lol. Yeah, those scientists had a winner when they released that one. Reminds me of the Kyocera Echo. The phone that would allow you to text and surf the net at the same time. Say what? Like driving while changing a flat tire. It had a huge promotion in NY and landed on the clown prince of cell carriers, sprint. The Echo lasted at least 3 weeks before EOL was announced. The only phone with a quicker EOL than the Microsoft Kin. lol.
My cousin had the Storm. Needless to say, since he needed Verizon and hated the Storm, he got some Android device once his contract was up on the Storm. He's been an Android user ever since.

You have to be right about the Kyocera Echo. I never even heard of it until now, and I have friends who use Sprint.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
One of the biggest problems with RIM was Jim's relentlessness to buy an NHL franchise for Hamilton. I wasted so much time on that instead of running RIM. Eyes on the prize Jim, Eyes on the prize. They had it made. They just had to advance their technology and would have been walking over apple in all demo's besides the hipster wannabe category.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo